Deusmortis

Game for a Work Event Volume II, Naval Theme Requested

We're doing another crew appreciation party, and I've been given the (enviable) task of making another gaming station.  Copy/paste from last time:

So, I need to find something that fits this criteria:

LAN multiplayer - I prefer PVP, but a CO-OP mode could be nice as well.

Accessible.  Not something that requires memorization of a moves list.

Entertaining to watchers as well as players:   People walking by should be able to have an idea what is going on.  

Quick games:  Probably 5-15 minutes.

Able to run on our hardware.  We'll likely be using stock Dell Optiplex 7010s:  I5, Integrated graphics (Intel 2500 or so) 32bit Win7, 4gb RAM.  

Free or nearly free.

Minimal setup.  I don't need something where everyone sets up usernames, has to bind an email address, etc.  I want them to enter a name (optional), sit and go.

Some notes:

I have essentially no access to torrents, etc.  If I can't get it legitimately for free, it's probably a no-go.  Unless you have a link, and that link isn't blocked by corpnet.  

My boss, an ex Navy guy, really wants something nautical themed.  He's thinking something like Battleship (the board game.)  I'm thinking something like WoWS.  Of course, WoWS won't work because of LAN, and the need to grind ships, etc.  Is there anything even close to that that fits my criteria?

If not, I'll likely go back to a shooter.  Might opt for the Halo trial this time around.  

Not really lan or co-op (AFAIK) and you need logins (or just make a couple of group ones) but you could consider Puzzle Pirates.  Most of the mini-games are simple and quick, fun to watch, and you could build a multi event scoring bracket system and still have them compete against each other.

BattleStations Midway - this one should have LAN and should be pretty cheap. Has pretty decent amount of ships to pick of all classes, including subs. Not free, but it's about 10 years old, so should be pretty cheap. I'll check Steam and GoG.

//EDIT: On steam, it's for 6.99€, isn't available on GoG. However, going around various game shop pages, I can find hard copies (used of course, but that won't matter for LAN) ranging from 2.50€ to 5€, new hard copy starts at 8.99€ and ends at 39.99€ (some shady shop trying to pass this off as a new game), digital keys for Steam ranging from 3.15€ to 6.99€. => Prices are taken from Slovak e-shops. 

Also, if you decide for it, make sure to pick "Midway" - the original, not "Pacific" - the sequel. The sequel has fucky controls, some mechanics are shittier and some of it is bugged to hell and back (including some multiplayer maps).

Also, what the game offers is fairly fast paced, but tactical gameplay - the maps are fairly large and since most is, well, water, allow for a lot of positioning play, but the ships are fairly fast (clearly faster and more agile than in reality), the guns don't take too long to load, but the TTK isn't that fast. Pretty much WoWS without grinding and with subs. In fact, I suspect quite a bit of stuff regarding some mechanics in WoWS, as well as map design, was stolen inspiration for WoWS.

//EDIT: Apparently, what I forgot is that it has planes as well. Probably were meh since I don't remember playing with them at all. Anyways: http://store.steampowered.com/app/6870/

Apparently, there is a free demoversion, though I have no idea what it offers. Maybe try downloading it and check if it has LAN matches?

3 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

@EndlessAgony lol I was going to say Battlestations Pacific. I dunno if you can get it for free though

Pacific is shittier version of Midway. Dunno how much Pacific costs, but prices for Midway are up in my post. I think Pacific is what, 2 years younger? Also, it's shittier. Betting on costing 9.99€ tops.

8.99€ on Steam, I win imaginary cookies.

Edited by EndlessAgony
retarded wording because I'm retarded
Just now, EndlessAgony said:

Pacific is shittier version of Midway. Dunno how much Pacific costs, but prices for Midway are up in my post. I suspect Pacific is what, 2 years younger? Also, it's shittier. Betting on costing 9.99€ tops.

I never saw or played Midway, my friend owned Pacific and played it all the time, so I saw a fair bit of it and it was pretty fun. that was years ago now though. 

11 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

I never saw or played Midway, my friend owned Pacific and played it all the time, so I saw a fair bit of it and it was pretty fun. that was years ago now though. 

Well, Midway was essentially the same, but less dumbed down in some areas, while less needlessly complicated in others, had a bit worse graphics, less bugs, and a bit shorter campaign IIRC. I played Midway loooong ago, actually owned a hard copy of the game, and never owned Pacific, played it at friend's place and didn't like it. 

@Deusmortis Oh, looks like A) The Demo has LAN (though some content like maps and controlable vehicles might - as in I'm not sure if it has and am too lazy to check -  be reduced) and B) the full game crashes when trying to play LAN.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=65253

So, my good man, my advice is to just get the demo, either from Steam, or somewhere else, if you only want to play the game as a LAN party once. 

Hey - check out "Dead Man's Draw from Stardock games - free app =- simple game - nautical ( pirate theme ) it is fun for noobs.

It's a card game so it's not too complicated - and the client explains it all as you play - it should work for your party.

Link: http://www.deadmansdrawgame.com/

Eish, the requirements on this are a bit hard to meet. Naval games, especially multiplayer ones, aren't super common as far as I know. The time limitation, price limitation and hardware limitations make it even trickier...

3 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Eish, the requirements on this are a bit hard to meet. Naval games, especially multiplayer ones, aren't super common as far as I know. The time limitation, price limitation and hardware limitations make it even trickier...

I know.  Most of what I've found is from the glory days of simulations, and look like crap today.  If they run on modern machines at all.  

Might give that demo @EndlessAgony mentioned a shot if I can find a non-steam version.  It would be a massive pain to get the 4 machines on steam, since steam is blocked by corpnet.  

Can you get network access to wows servers? Create throwaway accounts, free to play tier 1 ships are surely enough. Use training room mod to make private 2vs2 games or something. No idea if that is viable, I have never used training room mods. Lot of IF's there but if you can get it work, surely good choice for random non-gamers to derp around and shoot each others. And looks good. As wows is also aimed for russian calculator computers, I would guess it works fine even with lower level of hardware.

Check out Windward

17 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

I've played both and consider Pacific the better game. At least i had more fun with it than Midway.

I was able to grab the demo.  Runs, but doesn't seem like something simple enough for my audience.  - I need console peasant levels of complexity.

@sahtila - Definitely can't do that.  Requires way too much set up, and would require massive downloads.  Also, all of the ship's internet is satellite based, so we'd be running at 600+ms.  That's why I need it to be LAN.