Jump to content
AkulaV

Maus - Guide to Winning Almost 90%

Recommended Posts

I played the Maus to do HT15 for Obj. 260. Maybe platooned a few of the matches, but that's not what's important (platoon mates actually would have a negative impact on me completing the mission). I've platooned other tanks (DIAF 103-0) and have lower WR.

The Maus has bad DPM, so you don't win in it by trying to maximize damage. Most of the wins happened because I was trying to maximize damage blocked. See screenshot:

maus.png

My goal each match was to drive to a position where the most tanks would be shooting at me. What this caused is the enemy team to focus shooting me. While they were all shooting and bouncing me, my team was able to kill them. The tanks that were able to pen me (by either loading HEAT or knowing how to pen the Maus) or started ignoring me, I would kill myself. At the time this was extremely frustrating, like I just wanted the enemy to shoot me, but all the while my team would continue to demolish them. I played the Maus the other day, and asked "Why did I have a such high WR in it? It's such a bad tank right?". This is the conclusion I came to, so I decided to make a post explaining it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it's okay to make a status update because you have super unicum stats

when will this injustice stop?

How many were platooned? Has maus been buffed or anything in the ~2 years I've not played?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garbad had some challenge with the E-100 I think where he explained a Lakeville match pretty similarly. If you can lock down 4 guns with your tank and make no or equal trades in that position you can win games by having a number superiority everywhere else. In my first 7k~ matches I got tunnel visioned basically, and I'm sure many others have this, where they see a target right in front of them, and will wait to shoot it. But when that target is purposefully trying to lock down guns it will just deny you anything. It's even worse when it's several of your team shooting one "impenetrable" maus.

In COH2 there's something very similar actually. Expensive squads (400Manpower for example 35~ manpower to reinforce) being locked down by a single Ostruppen (30 munitions or 240manpower ~17manpower reinforce) squad or some pathetic combat engineer squad that costs only (170 manpower ~20manpower to reinforce) that is in heavy cover or in a building. Even worse is when they try to get in a grenade using even more resources but you dodge out of the way with the cheap squad. And even better is when the squad keeps jumping out of a building in and out, so even less fire comes, and it takes longer. 

----It's like a unicum in a Lowe locking down the only tierX on the enemy team because they're bad at playing, and Lowe also has good armor. But it's almost the same I'd say.

edit: Actually, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read in Kesselring's memoire's that he was able to exploit similar basis plenty of times especially in mountain fighting in Italy, or in well thought out and built defenses. Like having under-reinforced divisions be able to hold out against the much more numerically superior Allies, allowing him to free up other elements, while basically "pinning" a lot of resources from the Allies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this thread will start a trend where blunica actually ever ready up beefy HTs instead of ALWAYS MEDIUMS, because I'd like to win 80%+ more often, like in the good ole days. But armor doesn't get you WN8...fortunately neither does the E-50 right now :minidoge:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CraBeatOff said:

Maybe this thread will start a trend where blunica actually ever ready up beefy HTs instead of ALWAYS MEDIUMS, because I'd like to win 80%+ more often, like in the good ole days. But armor doesn't get you WN8...fortunately neither does the E-50 right now :minidoge:

Include damage blocked in WN9... mission accomplished?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, CraBeatOff said:

Maybe this thread will start a trend where blunica actually ever ready up beefy HTs instead of ALWAYS MEDIUMS, because I'd like to win 80%+ more often, like in the good ole days. But armor doesn't get you WN8...fortunately neither does the E-50 right now :minidoge:

EDIT: I'm dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

Maybe this thread will start a trend where blunica actually ever ready up beefy HTs instead of ALWAYS MEDIUMS, because I'd like to win 80%+ more often, like in the good ole days. But armor doesn't get you WN8...fortunately neither does the E-50 right now :minidoge:

I used to ready up the E100/IS7/E5 for 20 games in a row and platoonmates would start questioning my sanity. The good ole days were fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Was waiting for the first autistic kid to tell me how it's not a statistically valid sample size. Mission accomplished. But I still do not care.

2. Sorry, replays were many months ago and I clear them out after some time. Like I said, haven't played the Maus in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was expecting like some actual useful information and maybe some replays or examples besides just "I make it so I get shot and those things that can't pen me aren't doing damage to my team and those that can pen me I kill." Like no shit that's how you play a superheavy. You called this a guide and then wrote three lines of actual relevant stuff. It's not so much a guide as oh look I won a very high percentage of my games over a small sample. 10/10 guide would read again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, AkulaV said:

1. Was waiting for the first autistic kid to tell me how it's not a statistically valid sample size. Mission accomplished. But I still do not care.

2. Sorry, replays were many months ago and I clear them out after some time. Like I said, haven't played the Maus in a while.

So those 10 games I won in a row mean I'm the best WOT player ever because 100% win rate? :bigdoge:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played it similarly, and it worked for me. After 90 games (all solo) 67% 2.4k dmg and 3.4k blocked. The sample size is still not big enough, but I agree, that the play style works, and Maus can win a lot. 

It is hilarious to see the enemy panic when they realize I am not going to stop. I just put almost 6.5k effective hp in their face to chew on.

The thing is the maus can't flex. It has one main job: It has to go one of the flanks, and win it as fast as possible, and soak up as much dmg in the process as possible. This way the tanks which actually able to flex will leave my flank on almost full hp, and if they are not complete imbeciles, then it is gg for us.

I played it for the memes (thanks to @zapyoug for the inspiration). It was rather relaxing tbh, but in one of the last games I was two shoot by a T92 platoon (we still won because the faggots held the shell for me). Even if it wins a lot, I won't play it for a while, because I really hate the clickers.

PS: blocked dmg new e-peen metric when?

PS2: The :fat: is mandatory in every Maus thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maus is probably the best T10 for winning. HP+Armour means you can lock down lanes really long. With the DPM buff and gun handling buff it will be able to push much better too.

the thing that made me quit the Maus 3mark was the fact that the gun acts like you're moving 60kph instead of 20 so while pushing you risk taking damage for low odds of dealing any back before you reached the next chokepoint. I still soloed 70% in a tank I just yoloed around in for 100 games while my TVP did less despite a much higher damage output and engagement impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KittenFix907ValuesBabyRage said:

Maus is probably the best T10 for winning. HP+Armour means you can lock down lanes really long. With the DPM buff and gun handling buff it will be able to push much better too.

the thing that made me quit the Maus 3mark was the fact that the gun acts like you're moving 60kph instead of 20 so while pushing you risk taking damage for low odds of dealing any back before you reached the next chokepoint. I still soloed 70% in a tank I just yoloed around in for 100 games while my TVP did less despite a much higher damage output and engagement impact.

You will re-try 3 marking it after buffs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KittenFix907ValuesBabyRage said:

Maus is probably the best T10 for winning. HP+Armour means you can lock down lanes really long. With the DPM buff and gun handling buff it will be able to push much better too.

the thing that made me quit the Maus 3mark was the fact that the gun acts like you're moving 60kph instead of 20 so while pushing you risk taking damage for low odds of dealing any back before you reached the next chokepoint. I still soloed 70% in a tank I just yoloed around in for 100 games while my TVP did less despite a much higher damage output and engagement impact.

RichardNixon posted superuni winstats per tanks in some thread ages ago, I thing IS4 was like best or close best despite tank having bad gun and bad speed. Same reason as Maus can be good, tanking damage is good for winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sahtila said:

RichardNixon posted superuni winstats per tanks in some thread ages ago, I thing IS4 was like best or close best despite tank having bad gun and bad speed. Same reason as Maus can be good, tanking damage is good for winning.

@RichardNixon did you do it for t10 and not only for t9 as I have throught previously? Can you comment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Inciatus said:

I was expecting like some actual useful information and maybe some replays or examples besides just "I make it so I get shot and those things that can't pen me aren't doing damage to my team and those that can pen me I kill." Like no shit that's how you play a superheavy. You called this a guide and then wrote three lines of actual relevant stuff. It's not so much a guide as oh look I won a very high percentage of my games over a small sample. 10/10 guide would read again.

You already know everything, why do you need a guide? Also what more is there to add. You want me to explain every position on every map with every type of enemy composition for you to go to? Maybe you want me to explain the perfect way to angle your tank/turret? What type of info do you want?

I'm not really here to write a 5 page essay. The "guide" part was more of a joke, but then I had to actually add some content to the OP. Go watch @zapyoug stream and ask him to play the Maus. He's the best at derping like a retard into the enemy with zero map awareness and 3 marking superheavies.

11 hours ago, zapyoug said:

So those 10 games I won in a row mean I'm the best WOT player ever because 100% win rate? :bigdoge:

Yes, exactly. Glad you can add so much relevant info to this thread. Just like you 3 marking the meme tanks no one plays, and looking at all your 3 marks on stream makes you the best player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, AkulaV said:

You already know everything, why do you need a guide? Also what more is there to add. You want me to explain every position on every map with every type of enemy composition for you to go to? Maybe you want me to explain the perfect way to angle your tank/turret? What type of info do you want?

I'm not really here to write a 5 page essay. The "guide" part was more of a joke, but then I had to actually add some content to the OP. Go watch @zapyoug stream and ask him to play the Maus. He's the best at derping like a retard into the enemy with zero map awareness and 3 marking superheavies.

Yes, exactly. Glad you can add so much relevant info to this thread. Just like you 3 marking the meme tanks no one plays, and looking at all your 3 marks on stream makes you the best player.

I never claimed I knew everything and you are clearly a better player than I am but there is nothing here. I don't really care what it is you talk about but just something beside two lines of no shit sherlock. Sure talk about angling or a couple positions you've used or a couple games I don't care. Link a replay or two. Don't have any? Well I'm sure if you are winning 90% of your games it shouldn't be hard to get a good replay or two fairly quickly to get what you're talking about. Like you put the minimum amount of effort possible here and this is after you apparently added information. This thread would have been better off just being a reply in the maus thread.

You don't have to write a five page essay but you could at least write something besides four simple sentences. I am also quite aware of zap (the evil bastard moved his maus crew into the E100), but the fact that he plays the Maus also isn't really an excuse for you do not write anything and call it a guide. Sure, it doesn't have to be a guide, maybe you did just call it that for funsies but then at least posit some question or something to the thread because honestly this thread feels like "hurr durr I can win a very high percentage of my games over a small number of games stroke my epeen everyone"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Inciatus said:

I never claimed I knew everything and you are clearly a better player than I am but there is nothing here. I don't really care what it is you talk about but just something beside two lines of no shit sherlock. Sure talk about angling or a couple positions you've used or a couple games I don't care. Link a replay or two. Don't have any? Well I'm sure if you are winning 90% of your games it shouldn't be hard to get a good replay or two fairly quickly to get what you're talking about. Like you put the minimum amount of effort possible here and this is after you apparently added information. This thread would have been better off just being a reply in the maus thread.

You don't have to write a five page essay but you could at least write something besides four simple sentences. I am also quite aware of zap (the evil bastard moved his maus crew into the E100), but the fact that he plays the Maus also isn't really an excuse for you do not write anything and call it a guide. Sure, it doesn't have to be a guide, maybe you did just call it that for funsies but then at least posit some question or something to the thread because honestly this thread feels like "hurr durr I can win a very high percentage of my games over a small number of games stroke my epeen everyone"

Sorry friend, but I think you completely missed the point. Let me try to put it in simple terms.

Everyone thinks to win you should try to maximize damage done. All the complaints about the Maus having low DPM, idiots camping behind arty in heavy tanks sniping, etc.

What my point was, is that you should try maximizing damage blocked instead. So rather than going to a position where you'll get the most shots, go to a position where the most enemy tanks will be kept busy trying to shoot you. This will allow your team to more freely move up/flank and do damage to them. Resulting in enemy teams quickly dying and you winning the match. This was what I observed when I played the Maus ONLY to complete HT15. I was trying to block damage and avoided killing the tanks that were bouncing me, only focused on the tanks that shot at teammates or knew how to pen me.

But thanks for all the down votes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...