Sign in to follow this  
IfICouldFly

Keeping your concentration on the maximum

Question

Firstly, I apologize if this question has been answered, or if I ask it in the wrong subforum. For some reason, pages on this whole page load very, very slowly for me and sometimes the don't load at all, so I'm really not too keen on looking older posts since it could take me forever.

Anyway, here is what I wanted to ask - do you have any tactics, little tricks or some kind of exercise to keep your concentration and focus on your surroundings and the minimap? I die quite a lot because in the midst of the battle I just get into tunnel vision thing and I become completely oblivious on what is happening around me. And of course, then I die in the most dumb fashion possible. For instance, few minutes ago on the Fisherman's Bay... I was in my Grille 15, and was on the north spawn happily camping near the base on the 1-2 line. I saw, and I knew, that my team did deployed only 2-3 tanks to the city, while all others deployed forward on my line. So I made few nice long range shots and was thinking how in this game I could maybe get my mission done (3k dmg from 250 mtrs). But, as we pushed that side and I lost targets, I decided that I could maybe reposition myself more towards the middle. So I left my cover only to get demolished instantly by the enemy who has crushed our too few tanks in the city and has moved in on our base.

Or, also this evening, on the Stepes in my Ru 251... I got beneath AMX 13 75 and a Bat chat. I had 3-4 teammates behind me and they were shooting at my spots and I got 2k spotting dmg. But then Bat chat decided to flee, and I left my cover in order to shoot him, which I did. But in doing so, I didn't notice that that AMX got in behind me where my teammates couldnt shoot him and he simply clipped me out (I was on low health before).

So, how do you train yourself in not doing such dumb things like in one moment becoming completely oblivious to everything? Do you have some routines, tricks, procedures, anything?

9 answers to this question

You have to force yourself at first to look at minimap often. Also you gotta realize and think the whole match about what the best possible thing to do is right there and then, as well as how to achieve victory in the end.

It literally just takes practice. Back when I played Super Pershing (for 1100 matches) I had to learn how matches would be 2 minutes from that moment on because of how slow it got into fights. Later I played the T28proto and even knew what would happen based on enemy/team composition. 

Try to take things one at a time though. I learned those things throughout a few months, you can't cram it into 1 week.

Yes, I do understand that and most games I do keep an eye on the minimap. I played Hellcat quite a lot and I learned on him the basics of the game and what to do and what not to do. Since it's a tank that can't take any damage and which best fights at range I became aware of those principles to think in advance where the enemy will show up and where do I need to be at that moment. 

At the beginning of the battle I always keep an eye on the minimap and that is not the issue. The problem is that I get carried away by the things that are in my near vicinity, and simply forget everything else (and even forget to pay attention to other things in vicinity). So, am I just retarded, or some of you guys used some methods to remember to look at the minimap, some routines to make you remember and to create the habit? What I want to achieve is to die less from not paying attention. 

Keep an eye on what the MM throws at you, and react accordingly to it, try to herd the pubbies with you.

Enlarge the minimap to the maximum with ' or whatever key your keyboard has, and move the transparency slider to the minimum, so you have solid detail of it.

Prioritize who you do have to take out first and think ahead of the engagement, and how it could go, to your favor or the enemy's and react properly, then began to assess how will you play your next move.

I'm not a purple poster, but this certainly has helped me go from 45% straight to now.

11 hours ago, IfICouldFly said:

Yes, I do understand that and most games I do keep an eye on the minimap. I played Hellcat quite a lot and I learned on him the basics of the game and what to do and what not to do. Since it's a tank that can't take any damage and which best fights at range I became aware of those principles to think in advance where the enemy will show up and where do I need to be at that moment. 

At the beginning of the battle I always keep an eye on the minimap and that is not the issue. The problem is that I get carried away by the things that are in my near vicinity, and simply forget everything else (and even forget to pay attention to other things in vicinity). So, am I just retarded, or some of you guys used some methods to remember to look at the minimap, some routines to make you remember and to create the habit? What I want to achieve is to die less from not paying attention. 

Again.  Keep looking at the mini map the ENTIRE BATTLE.  The ONLY time you should not be looking at the mini map and instead concentrating on things in your near vicinity is when you are trying to 1v3 tanks in a close range brawl.

Just because you were looking at the mini map at the START of the battle doesn't mean it will remain that way for the MID and LATE part of the battle.  Constant observation keeps you alive.  It's a habit to build and you have to work at it otherwise you're automatically playing at a disadvantage.

Don't know what else to tell you dude.  You break concentration, you either miss opportunities or die

Not a purple poster but IMO rather than looking at the minimal every 10-15 seconds, I recommend only looking at the minimap unless you are actively sing a shot or repositioning. If you are sitting still or on reload or making small micropositioning adjustments you can make without looking, there is nothing for you to look at except the minimap. If you are in a fight at mid-long range, you already know where the people are who you are engaging so once you get in cover to reload use your reload time to watch the minimap. The people you're engaging will also show on the minimap if they move so you will know if you need to look at them again. Obviously there are times when you need to watch your opponent's positioning especially in brawling situations, but if you're sniping at each other the minimap gives you as much information about where they are as looking at them does if you know the maps well. 

TL;DR: watch only the minimap unless you absolutely need to look at the screen to aim or steer and then glue your eyes back to the minimap once you are reloading/sitting still/driving in a straight line.

11 minutes ago, SuperTheBoss said:

Not a purple poster but IMO rather than looking at the minimal every 10-15 seconds, I recommend only looking at the minimap unless you are actively sing a shot or repositioning. If you are sitting still or on reload or making small micropositioning adjustments you can make without looking, there is nothing for you to look at except the minimap. If you are in a fight at mid-long range, you already know where the people are who you are engaging so once you get in cover to reload use your reload time to watch the minimap. The people you're engaging will also show on the minimap if they move so you will know if you need to look at them again. Obviously there are times when you need to watch your opponent's positioning especially in brawling situations, but if you're sniping at each other the minimap gives you as much information about where they are as looking at them does if you know the maps well. 

TL;DR: watch only the minimap unless you absolutely need to look at the screen to aim or steer and then glue your eyes back to the minimap once you are reloading/sitting still/driving in a straight line.

i approved this but try not repeat was was already said in a previous post. 

Just like the others have already pointed out. Having as much situational awareness as possible is key which means utilizing the information given to you much of which comes from the mini map. Always use it. Always! Force yourself to look at it until it becomes second nature which can be difficult sometimes but you still have to try.