TohtoriP

Ibuki

I am having trouble with this cruiser. Especially in 0.6.0.  What are the advantages of this handsome cruiser?
All I see is this:

+heal, very useful but not a speciality in any way in tier9-10

+great torps, however using them is tricky as getting close (even 10km) gets you focused (need to show a bit of broadside to use) and destroyed (a lot of secondaries can shoot 10km nowadays too)

+35kt speed is nice, but many BB you face does 30+kt

+guns are good but nothing special

+camo is very good and stealth firing can be done at extreme ranges but situational at best

+angled armor works against lighter AP but as they introduced IPHE...

-constant tier10 games

-no carry ability if either DD or BB in your team fail a little

-39k Hp pool is not much against the firepower of high-tier guns, torps and aircraft

-constant need to keep at long range and kite away to not get focused and destroyed (again)

-if try pushing getting focused like no tomorrow (again) and massive citadel takes damage a lot from heavy AP

-25mm armor in turrets.. all the time losing them if getting close, even to BB secondaries

-very long, makes a bit difficult to maneuver sometimes and bigger target as a whole

-no smoke or radar

-constant fear of over-extending and getting wiped out lessens effective DPM as sometimes you just can not shoot to not get detected

Current BB meta and generally very strong tier8+ BBs aren´t helping this cruiser at all...

This thing.. again (as in all the time) tier10 MM. Try to make a play with a few dds and not just hide at 17km. A Montana shoots one volley as I am turning already away.. 36k HP gone and I get killed immediately after that by something else. What the hell is this tier9 cruiser meta?? How on earth do you play these things? Full camp and kite all game and lets see does the team win or lose this tim? My god..

I'm going to preface my remarks by saying that I haven't played tier 9 as a cruiser. However I have played quite a few games as a bottom tier 8 in tier 10 games.

Probably the worst part of the high tier cruiser meta is your utter reliance on your team to have a meaningful impact; You need BBs to tank damage, deal large alpha strikes and you need DDs to spot targets for you and the BBs. If your team doesn't do these things it's probably not going to win because you, as a cruiser, it's very easy to overextend or get caught out in the open and deleted. As far as your examples of eating big hits at long distances, I'm hoping that you're using priority target skill now. If you get lit then it's imperative you take evasive maneuvers, not just turning but slowing down and turning into the shells, not away. When you turn away you are making yourself vulnerable to citadel hits. Ideally you want to stay dark as long as possible before revealing yourself because you don't want to be the first thing people shoot at. It's very easy to get focused and die especially in the early game when everyone is hunting for targets to engage.  I recommend watching Flamu on YouTube play tier 9 and 10 cruisers to get a feel for balancing aggression successfully. Good luck!

Tier 10 and T9 are a complete garbage-tier in my experience. Battleships sit at their max range and snipe, cruisers get deleted the moment they get spotted, as they are usually a lot closer to the enemy than the BBs due to a lack of range and DDs get no support because BBs can't reliably hit enemy DDs from max range and cruisers have to hide just to much to help the DDs either. This more and more often trickles down to T8 already and poisons the entire experience and playability. Sooner or later they have to nerf BB max-range and accuracy at range, to counter these detrimental effects.

It is almost required to use CE on an Ibuki captain to bring concealment under 10 km and also to get the range upgrade module to get your range to 19.2 KM. The Ibuki is very accurate at range and then you go dark when people start looking at you. Vision control (just like in tanks) is critical for all CAs at all tiers. The higher up you go, the better you need to get at it. German CA;s also can shoot out to that range. Us can't and that is one of the reasons they are very hard to play from T7 up. VMF CA's also have pretty good range.

The Ibuki and Roon are on my favorite ship list. You are much more accurate than a BB at 15+ km. But I lucky shot and 15k hp are gone. High tier CA's are hard to play.

You don't get hit. And when you do, you do so in a manner that isn't a citadel, so you can heal the damage back. Otherwise, bully cruisers and DDs when you can, and burn down BBs. You just have to be careful with where and when you show a broadside, like any other cruiser.

Thanks for the replies. Just again deleted. My games go like this:

1. Either try to fight and get spotted by unseen dd or some aircraft somewhere, immediately focused by 3 battleships, evade wildly to avoid shots lose all shooting ability in the process if lucky got only one citadel. Proceed with game, rinse and repeat until dead. See if team wins or not.

2. Hide at extreme range forget even thinking about getting any cap points or protecting your dds. Kite away and shoot HE at long ranges sometimes hit sometimes miss. Shoot some torpedoes in the general direction or chokepoints. End up the last one alive and lose the game unless team steamrolls enemy then you can farm some (useless) damage.

Really unengaging and unfun gameplay. To me it actually seems that dds can tank more damage as they have no citadels they get a lot overpens from AP and have 20k HP and can hide in smoke or unengage with smoke at full speed very effectively unless radar is nearby.

I have played quite a lot of tier 4-6 bbs and there too I just eat cruisers alive. I focus them like anybody else and get massively rewarded. Only in the end I usually kill remaining enemy BBs. Cruiser meta for a fighting game like this seems very hard in general. I used to feel that Myoko is a strong ship. Now it was OK only because tier7 MM top tier all the time. Now it feels these ships are not for me. I just feel bad playing them. Just hate being so careful and afraid of everything and you can only hide so much in this game to be useful at all.

I am also on the Ibuki and having the exact same experience. I've been trying to implement the strategy recommended by iChase by focusing early on BBs as they are easiest to hit at long range and therefore the best way to contribute to the early-game attritional battle. I've also been trying to support any divisions on my side but usually am on the side either without a division or the one with two nitwits in Scharnhorsts and their New Mexico buddy.

So far I'm 40% WR to show for that strategy. If anything Priority Target has made life even harder, since everyone I target immediately starts jinking like a madman. 

So then, unselect them, and once you've found the lead you want, quickly select them again, fire, and deselct. It's a bit harder, but they'll only see flashes of the targeting icon.

42 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

So then, unselect them, and once you've found the lead you want, quickly select them again, fire, and deselct. It's a bit harder, but they'll only see flashes of the targeting icon.

Yes of course, but I've found that this trick doesn't stop the evasive maneuvers. 

Honestly your best bet for dealing with evading ships is to learn to anticipate their movements. most people will fall into a predictable pattern of how they evade because they also want to try to keep their guns on target and firing. Be patient and time your shots for when they maneuver to shoot. A lot of times they will swing their ship into your shots.

On 1/25/2017 at 3:31 PM, SoliDeoGloria said:

You don't get hit. And when you do, you do so in a manner that isn't a citadel, so you can heal the damage back. Otherwise, bully cruisers and DDs when you can, and burn down BBs. You just have to be careful with where and when you show a broadside, like any other cruiser.

Pretty much that.  Ibuki and Zao both require that you make full use of concealment, map positioning, and choosing your engagements.  The guns are pretty accurate at max range, the HE hits pretty hard, and the fire chance is pretty good.  There's plenty of opportunity to play the patient, early-game sniping meta, while still being able to sneak up and take advantage of other opportunities later in teh game.  Priority Target (and easier access to Concealment Expert) has been a godsend for cruisers IMO.

On 1/26/2017 at 8:46 AM, Kilpanic said:

I've been trying to implement the strategy recommended by iChase by focusing early on BBs as they are easiest to hit at long range and therefore the best way to contribute to the early-game attritional battle

Hmmm.  I'm not familiar with the details or reasoning behind that suggestion, but I'd strongly suggest that getting early destroyer kills (or removing large chunks of HP at least) is critical to winning the game.  Spamming damage into battleships early on will only get them to use their Repair Parties sooner.  Any damage that doesn't contribute to a kill is mostly wasted damage.  I try not to talk trash too often in-game, but I'm prone to thanking enemy cruisers for wasting an entire game padding damage on my battleship and providing me with dreadnought flags.

Ibuki can't pull the radar tricks of a few other cruisers, but it can still torp likely destroyer lanes and set up in a position to get early destroyer damage while using islands to shield itself from other directions and slink off to go dark if needed.  A team with dead or crippled destroyers is likely to lose.

I agree with Mesrith. Early in a game the priority target is DD's, since killing the DD's or severely damaging them make the enemy team play more defensive or prevents them form getting caps near the end of the battle. The only exception for me is when I'm in a BB at long range. In a BB I tend to focus the CA's since that will help take heat of my teams DD's and CA's are easier to hit and kill for a BB.

Depending on what I'm in, but if I have a viable shot on a DD, I always take it, due to their relevance throughout the entire battle. If I'm in a BB at 16+km however, I try to find a better target.

21 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Stock ships probably are. I'm guessing it'll get a bit better with the hull, but I don't hear much love for her.

Yeah, probably. She really doesn't seem to have anything special or interesting about her so far which might be why not a lot of people show her any love. I'm just not looking forward to another Admiral Hipper style mediocre ship to grind through. lol

I am on the last 50k exp to the Zao and I am starting to really loathe the Ibuki. Had 3 games with 110k damage and over 1mil potential damage (aka weaving like mad and getting lucky doing it) while contesting caps and killing DDs that were all lost followed by 2 sub 50k wins where I am unable to start fires and get a stupid citadel hit while angled after 3 minutes from 15km range.

The worst part of this ship is the gun placement. If running slightly angled up or away you can shoot FOUR guns. Four. Great.

In order to use your dank dpm you have to find the perfect island that isn't neither too high nor too low with team mates to spot and enemies to play along. Thats utterly boring.

Ibuki has only become worse during time. Not even the slight possibility of stealth fire anymore. Shooting means getting insta-spotted and insta-focused. I like BB and DD play, they have a role and traits and equipment to fulfill that role. Cruisers that can´t smoke or aren´t battlecruisers are so useless now.

FWIW I got 74 battles in this garbage and guess what, total potential damage shot at me is 55 million!! That is by far the biggest amount in any ship no matter how many battles in those ships. This is so unrewarding to play that I should just yolo every game to get this over with.

On 5/17/2017 at 9:59 AM, Jaegaer said:

I am on the last 50k exp to the Zao and I am starting to really loathe the Ibuki. Had 3 games with 110k damage and over 1mil potential damage (aka weaving like mad and getting lucky doing it) while contesting caps and killing DDs that were all lost followed by 2 sub 50k wins where I am unable to start fires and get a stupid citadel hit while angled after 3 minutes from 15km range.

The worst part of this ship is the gun placement. If running slightly angled up or away you can shoot FOUR guns. Four. Great.

In order to use your dank dpm you have to find the perfect island that isn't neither too high nor too low with team mates to spot and enemies to play along. Thats utterly boring.

The Zao is substantially better in that you can soak hits on the troll armor if the terrain isn't friendly. Also have an upboat because I don't know why you were -1.