bathoz

Ranked Season 6: Back to Seven

Ok, after 3 more tries I am shelving the Hiryu. I can cope with AS Saipans but not on top of the totally idiotic AA of Scharnhorsts and Gneisenaus. Lost 100% of my games in Hiryu (despite playing for the team, scouting, spoting torps and being top in exp half the time... in a CV).

Its just that I won 100% of all my games in Blyska, Shira and Gneisenau...

Carriers are very boring in T7 ranked. Two good carriers will play each other to a standstill by threatening to strike each other. Although that led to an astonishingly close game where it came down to 1300hp between me and the opposing carrier. Still I'll stick to Nagato and Belfast.

My Belfast with AA module in the #2 slot and the AA flag ( no AFT or BFT skill ) nuked the Ranger planes every time he got aggressive towards me at the end of my last match. 22 planes shot down by me, more than the Hiryu got.  Frankly too many ships are easy to get good AA performance at this tier, I even see Saipans getting their tier 9 planes nuked from time to time.

4 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

My Belfast with AA module in the #2 slot and the AA flag ( no AFT or BFT skill ) nuked the Ranger planes every time he got aggressive towards me at the end of my last match. 22 planes shot down by me, more than the Hiryu got.  Frankly too many ships are easy to get good AA performance at this tier, I even see Saipans getting their tier 9 planes nuked from time to time.

Atlanta without AA flag is 145dps at 7.2km... plus unlimited AA panics

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:17 AM, Yurra said:

Played Ranked first thing in the morning yesterday, you'd expect there's not many potatoes at R13 (since I got to R2 last season), but oh my fucking god. Every single time my lineup was worse than the enemy one, 4 wins and 6 defeats with a net gain of 2 stars. One of my teams literally got roflstomped so fast, I thought "wait a minute......am I playing WoT or WoWS?!" ANother example, we all agree on going B on North, "friendly" Mahan goes A, gets driven away by CV and proceeds to throw a torpedo tantrum on us without ever typing anything in chat, not even a "kurwa tym pojebany".

Other than the excessive salt, I'm reguraly blind citadelling broadsiding LULfasts in smoke :kappaross:

Hit R12 yesterday myself and yeah there are a lot of potatoes. Too many lost games came down to 'hey random player just live and we win, so run away.' 'Na. I got this brah.' Gets instantly deleted. :/

Anyway, I think I'm going to end up sticking with the Nagato mostly for ranked over the Scharnhorst. Don't get me wrong, the Scharnhorst has a lot of flexibility but the guns have been just derpy enough to let me down at decisive moments. The Nagato is more reliable when it comes to punishing ships that give you their broadside.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, Crossfader said:

re-bought the Shiratsuyu for ranked, after getting to R11, with all the camping smoke meta and belfast's, launching 16 torps into smoke is pretty devastating, plus that dank 5.8km stealth really makes its a better option then i thought. 

Yeah the Shiratsuyu seems to be a great counter to 'let's camp in smoke' meta. Two thumbs up!

Blyska is my bad luck ship in ranked and I think is no longer the best DD in the current meta of 2 BBs, 1-2 DDs rest CLs.

The Shiratsuyu is surprisingly good here, being able to outspot anything  and capable of pretty awesome burst damage.

Still Belfast is bae as long as your team can organice the smoke use. With just one DD and two Belfasts coordinating you can smoke for 10 minutes.

On 12/02/2017 at 2:15 AM, Crossfader said:

re-bought the Shiratsuyu for ranked, after getting to R11, with all the camping smoke meta and belfast's, launching 16 torps into smoke is pretty devastating, plus that dank 5.8km stealth really makes its a better option then i thought. 

Did the same last night: 73% WR in it last night, 63% overall for this season. Think I will stick to it and the Belfast.

On 10/02/2017 at 6:26 PM, BiggieD61 said:

First ranked match of the season, took out the Blyska for the trial run.  Our team had a Colorado, Nagato, two Belfasts, two Myokos and myself.  Red team had two Colorado's, Scharhorst, Pensacola, Fiji and a Mahan.It was a very cautious match in epicenter mode, our team went rock huggin, and I had vision over the Mahan, so I just danced out of his range basically spotting their team for the first 5 minutes.  Capped center, started to cap second ring an the Pensacola ran at me - smoked and fired at him - he got evaporated by the team.  Got two torps into a Colorado but then got focused down.  The two Belfasts basically controlled the match - people who have them  - or have more of them on their team are going to have a pretty good advantage . 

That Belfast radar is gonna wreck DD's, our Mahan never got close to us, and only got a kill because the Nagato thought he was in a Colorado and closed to brawl.  I suspect that you won't see 3 and 4 DD teams at all during this season.

I was in 3 ranked battles with 3 or more DDs on each side last night alone.

I think I've had one game with 4 DDs; the majority of games have been 1-2 DDs per side.

One of the things I've noticed so far in ranked is the team pretty much lives or dies depending on the quality of the DD players. If our DDs die early then we lose the vision game and just get chipped down without much opportunity to shoot back.

On 2/14/2017 at 10:32 AM, Rodrigopine said:

Anyway, I think I'm going to end up sticking with the Nagato mostly for ranked over the Scharnhorst. Don't get me wrong, the Scharnhorst has a lot of flexibility but the guns have been just derpy enough to let me down at decisive moments. The Nagato is more reliable when it comes to punishing ships that give you their broadside.

I'll probably switch to Nagato as I go higher; Scharnhorst makes for amusing weird-meme gameplay (go out to open flank and tease half+ the enemy team to shoot at me for fast AR reloads/get the DPM off the rest of my team so they can kill them in peace), but I can see the guns not being enough for later ranks.

Did OK in the Scharny knowing when to load AP vs HE is key here, but the Belfast is what really shines.  You can't carry like some of the other ships, but I ran Hydro and Radar which really crimped the style on any DDs we ran up against and allowed us to turn the tide when we were down a ship

Played two and won one ( top score in the loss ) in ranked tonight, so I am currently at level 11.  For the season I am 13 and 5; 1-0  Shiratsuyu, 1-0 Blyskawica, 11-5 Belfast.  I am not under the illusion that I am a particularly good player, but with the smaller number of ships in ranked I feel it is to my advantage.  In that vein, the Belfast gives me so many tools to work with, that I can be creative and spontaneous in battle based on the situation.  Team spotter, team smoke layer, team capper, team BB punisher from smoke, team CA/CL punisher with broadside AP, team AA support - the price is that if you get caught in the open showing broadside at low speed - you are promptly removed from the match.  Other ships have great roles that they excel at, but are pretty one dimensional.  I prefer the flexibility of a ship like the Belfast to the torp play of a Shiratsuyu, the gunnery of a Nagato, or the "Run and Gun" of the Blyska.  While I would not like ranked to be tier 7 every season, it's okay for it to be limited like this every now and then.

Fiji works exceptionally well for me, key is to get aggressive positions and nuke DDs and enemy cruisers. You can do a pretty good job at cleaning up DDs, just not as effectively as the LULfast. Sometimes I play Scharnhorst for the YOLO memes, charging down a Colorado/Nagato is always satisfying. The problem is though, it melts pretty fast under sustained fire.

I've played 11 games of ranked at scrub tier this season. I'm using it to finish the Nagato grind, which is progressing well at 73 % win rate and 71k+ damage (what damage numbers should I aim for as a sub 1k games player?). The guns on the Nagato truely are brutal! In one game I got devastating strike on a hostile Nagato, when I caught him off guard at 9 km.

I must say that ranked can be truely frustrating to play with people, especially in Colorado's and Myoko (clones) doing a lot of strange things and DDs playing like they are solo. Then again I'll stop at tier 10, so at this pace it shouldn't take long :tanfiesta:

Random thoughs/opinions about ships, played to rank 8 during weekend:

- Fiji is closer to Belfast than I though previously, having repair party + torpedos (fiji) almost compensates not having radar/he ammo. AP ammo works acceptable even at long ranges against enemy bb's, high arc shells hitting on deck? Bad when going head on against opponent cruisers though.

- Maas I could just not make it work. Too many weaknesses, sonar is good but not enough to carry all bad things (visibility when shooting, short smoke etc). Still I see someone has gone to Rank 1 with lot of games in Maas, guess there is potential.

- Shiratsuyu seems to be maybe best dd, meta full of smokes so firing 16 torpedo walls on enemy smoke very strong. Also 5.8km spotting range.

- Tried Kiev also some games but no clue how to use it properly, feels very one dimensional/boring.

- Schorch is just too fragile, could be good otherwise but feels just as fragile as British cruisers but much bigger target and slower turning.

- Myoko also feels bit fragile but maybe could work in hands of good player, japan high damage HE volleys hit hard if player can get it connect at long range. Does not have smoke or radar so bit one dimensional compared to "meta" cruisers.

- Pensascola/Indiapolis would be intresting to try. Anyone have success with them? US AP ammo should be really good against british cruisers?

- Battleship balance seems very good (have not used Colorado though). Nagato has best firepower (best game I had 158k damage done), German ones tanky and fast but with less firepower than Nagato. Gotta play more with Gneisenau but initially feels it could be just as good as Scharnhorst, Scharnhorst small guns feel lot worse at citadeling cruisers. Is there some overmatch going where Scharnhorst cannot overmatch t7 cruisers as easily while Gneisenau/Nagato can?

1 hour ago, sahtila said:

Shiratsuyu seems to be maybe best dd

+1 - I did not loose a single game so far in the Shira and even bought the snazzy prem camo for it bc I like it so very much (also very good for WTR paddin atm). I would love to use that "rare" boost enhancement upgrade on it.

The other ship I am having good results on (after initial problems though) is Hiryu. But CV gameplay is pretty boring in ranked at tier VII as the AA is so insanely good. Unless some scrub runs away in his Fiji or Myoko I need to wait and simply do spotting/strafing enemy Fighters till enough HE hits have killed the HE mounts on the BBs or else even a Nagato may kill the TB which are the same as you had at tier V... (WG balancing at it's finest).

Last not least Belfast. This ship is also great with a good team but one dimensional and utterly broing to play. Find smoke, angle, shoot - rinse and repeat. You sit on the same spots on all maps - I do not have a CE captain on it yet though which limits my possibilities to be agressive.

Lastly Gneisenau... ugh. This ship gives up too much in terms of consistent firepower to be viable. Nagatos eat you for dinner and the smoke meta means you can't push and brawl till most of the game is over. Nagato is prolly 100% better in this meta and even Scharnhorst will perfrom well. AA, if specced, is godtier though.

8 hours ago, sahtila said:

- Pensascola/Indiapolis would be intresting to try. Anyone have success with them? US AP ammo should be really good against british cruisers?

I've been really tempted to bring out my indy. Don't have pensa, but I like the indy a lot. Figured with radar I could brutalize anything with those 203mms in anti-belfast meta. Take hydro instead of AA fire for torp protection and added detection. But I always get talked out of it... :cri:

Edit: Only problem is that Indy is more of a consistent top-5 performer running support than a top place on team consistently and "support" style ships seem to be out of vogue. Still, it can contribute at any range with guns that will tear into anything it sees. 

At least in randoms, I've found problems with the Pensacola's AP. I find that at closer ranges, where you would normally be having a citadel party (8-12km) on cruisers, I start to overpen the citadels of RNCLs. Unless server desync is getting that bad again, and I'm just not hitting.

2 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

At least in randoms, I've found problems with the Pensacola's AP. I find that at closer ranges, where you would normally be having a citadel party (8-12km) on cruisers, I start to overpen the citadels of RNCLs. Unless server desync is getting that bad again, and I'm just not hitting.

The very concept of overpenning citadels in this game blows my friggin mind.