FlorbFnarb

WG Master of Orion: anybody played it much?

What's the take on this?  I saw that @OOPMan said it was "lightweight but not bad"; anybody play it very much?  I played the hell out of the first two games in the series, and Master of Orion III was an appalling disappointment - a fiasco for the history books.  Anybody play the new game much?  Is it still turn based both strategically and tactically?  None of the video clips on Steam show a ton of actual gameplay; checking out some YouTube stuff now.

I've been loving it so far, it's good to play when WoWS become rage-inducing. As someone who's never played 4X games before, it's decent to start off with, and there is certainly some things that are lacking in the current state of the game.

1 hour ago, aaveq said:

if you compare moo 2 to big fookin cake, moo/wg is like little pack of gummy bears

stellaris>>>>wg moo

Dammit why has everybody abandoned the TBS genre except Sid Meier?  Such a shame.  I WANT A NEW MASTER OF MAGIC DEVELOPED BY A STUDIO THAT CARES ABOUT AND UNDERSTANDS TBS GAMES.

7 minutes ago, Captain_F22ACE said:

I've been loving it so far, it's good to play when WoWS become rage-inducing. As someone who's never played 4X games before, it's decent to start off with, and there is certainly some things that are lacking in the current state of the game.

I've played a ton of TBS 4X games, starting with the classics of the genre.  I want a game with some depth to it.

2 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Dammit why has everybody abandoned the TBS genre except Sid Meier?  Such a shame.  I WANT A NEW MASTER OF MAGIC DEVELOPED BY A STUDIO THAT CARES ABOUT AND UNDERSTANDS TBS GAMES.

I've played a ton of TBS 4X games, starting with the classics of the genre.  I want a game with some depth to it.

Try Stardock's games - they are very engaging 4x games.  For fantasy, try Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes and it's offspring - Sorceror KIng - both occupy the same game universe but offer different takes on Master of Magic's legacy.

Galactic Civilizations 3 is an excellent 4x space game that allows you to play massive sessions spanning hundreds of star systems to conquer.

Stardock offers excellent support and updates it's games for years after their release.

2 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

33 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Try Stardock's games - they are very engaging 4x games.  For fantasy, try Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes and it's offspring - Sorceror KIng - both occupy the same game universe but offer different takes on Master of Magic's legacy.

Galactic Civilizations 3 is an excellent 4x space game that allows you to play massive sessions spanning hundreds of star systems to conquer.

Stardock offers excellent support and updates it's games for years after their release.

Um........guys, did you forget about Amplitude.

Endless Legend is pretty much the best 4X around right now and Endless Space 2 is shipping up to be insanely good.

I Tried Gal Civ 3 and found it too repulsive to enjoy :-/

I played about 80hrs back when it was still in beta, basically what OOP said. I never got too deep into it since it seemed to have fairly large optimization issues in the late stage when there was a lot of calculations to do, the game would freeze up even when opening up management of planets - i7M, GTX950M, 8GB 1833MHz DDR3 and an SSD - not the best machine ever, but definitely would of expected the game to run better, especially since the game ran at rock solid 60fps without any hitch for a ton of turns, and then suddenly turn to turn started doing retarded shit.

So I just returned to EndlessSpace. :doge:

It did have problems in beta - but I am running an I3 6100 skylake with a mid range AMD card, and it is rock solid with fast turns - even when there are 5k+ individual ships to keep track of.  They just released version 2.0 - with better game balance and other optimizations.

You should try it again Endless.

I run MOO in the background occasionally whilst playing boats (this has only caused me an issue once) and it runs fine with an i5, 8gb RAM and an GTX960 without issues.

Ship design seems a bit dumbed down compared to MOO2 but the strategic side plays similarly to the original.

7 minutes ago, Politx_Killer said:

I was interested till I seen Tanitha was involved in it. :look:

Lol. I doubt Tanitha wrote the code. It's actually a pretty solid intro 4X game. Definitely a good gateway drug game. I learned the hard way that 4X virgins and Endless Legend don't mix...

12 minutes ago, Politx_Killer said:

I was interested till I seen Tanitha was involved in it. :look:

4 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Lol. I doubt Tanitha wrote the code. It's actually a pretty solid intro 4X game. Definitely a good gateway drug game. I learned the hard way that 4X virgins and Endless Legend don't mix...

Who?  And why do 4X virgins and Endless Legend not mix?  Too complicated for a first-timer?  I admit I got my start with an old wargame called Empire back in the late eighties, so by the time Civilization rolled around I was used to the map, making units, etc.  Every new game was just a little more complex than the last, so it was a gradual process.  I rag on thin 4X games a bit, but honestly I have to admit some of the modern ones are rather complex if it's your first; kinda jumping in the deep end.

1 hour ago, OOPMan said:

All he has to do is touch it, that's enough for me (I think he was the producer or some such).  I actually don't really have the time to invest into a solid 4X.

10 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

What's the take on this? 

Let me put it this way: MoO2 came as bonus content when ordering the pre-release version .... guess which game I played more (again)? :)

1 minute ago, Statpadderer said:

Let me put it this way: MoO2 came as bonus content when ordering the pre-release version .... guess which game I played more (again)? :)

Huh.  How does somebody mess up a thing like MoO?

Actually I guess I should ask that of the guys who developed MoO III...

1 hour ago, Politx_Killer said:

All he has to do is touch it, that's enough for me (I think he was the producer or some such).  I actually don't really have the time to invest into a solid 4X.

That's a pretty silly perspective to be honest. Games are made by teams of people. Whatever Tanitha's flaws (I have no clue who he is), they don't seem to have affected MOO. It really is just a pretty solid beginner's level entry to 4X. Looks pretty, plays easily and has plenty of assistance.

18 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Um........guys, did you forget about Amplitude.

Endless Legend is pretty much the best 4X around right now and Endless Space 2 is shipping up to be insanely good.

I Tried Gal Civ 3 and found it too repulsive to enjoy :-/

Have you played both Endless Legend and Endless Space 2 yourself?  Extensively?  I'm looking at Endless Space 2 right now.  The graphics look pretty amazing, and the potential looks good.  My only concerns really are (1) the the possibility of too much micromanagement (shades of Master of Orion III) making it a drudge, and (2) the fact that there is no tactical combat.

I haven't looked much at Endless Legend yet, but a fantasy 4X game is appealing as well.

6 hours ago, 1n_Soviet_Russia said:

Haven't gotten to play it yet, but it looks well polished and noob friendly. I am still crying that I wont get to see a CnC Red Alert 4 or Generals 2

After RA3, I'm not dying for an RA4... only good bits of RA3 were the cutscenes.

I'd LOVE a Generals 2, that game was amazingly fun, especially Zero Hour.  I was working on getting through Challenge on Hard with every General...  Woulda loved to have had the opportunity to play the campaigns as the different Generals, too.

8 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Have you played both Endless Legend and Endless Space 2 yourself?  Extensively?  I'm looking at Endless Space 2 right now.  The graphics look pretty amazing, and the potential looks good.  My only concerns really are (1) the the possibility of too much micromanagement (shades of Master of Orion III) making it a drudge, and (2) the fact that there is no tactical combat.

I haven't looked much at Endless Legend yet, but a fantasy 4X game is appealing as well.

I've played a good amount of Endless Legend (72 hours, which is a lot of time for me to put into a single game). It is superb, especially with all the DLC added.

I'm playing Endless Space 2 and it's shaping up really nicely. They've vastly improved on Endless Space 1 which was, to be honest, a little dull. They've basically taken a lot of the stuff they added in Endless Legend, mixed in a little dose of Stellaris and are on their way to a winning formula.

On the subject of tactical combat..I honestly don't miss it. If you've played any 4X games with tactical combat for any length then you know how it goes:

• Early game, you play every battle because you have to in order to not get violated
  • Mid and late game you just auto-resolve because it doesn't matter, your forces are powerful enough losses mean little

Amplitude get a lot of flack for not doing tactical combat but I find it strange given that Civ has even less tactical combat and no one rages about the combat in Civ. I think perhaps people don't understand there are different kinds of 4X games. Some focus on combat (HoMM, Age of Wonders, etc) while others focus on the broader picture (Civ, Endless Space/Legend, etc).

@TouchFluffyTail could probably contribute to this thread too...

23 hours ago, OOPMan said:

That's a pretty silly perspective to be honest. Games are made by teams of people. Whatever Tanitha's flaws (I have no clue who he is), they don't seem to have affected MOO. It really is just a pretty solid beginner's level entry to 4X. Looks pretty, plays easily and has plenty of assistance.

Tanitha is boss of WoT ASIA, lets just say we have an interesting history.. He may have good points, but I'm yet to find them. Is it silly? yes, but Id prefer to sit on a cactus.

I'd steer clear of a game based on its producer.

But as to moo, are we talking civ in space basically?

2 hours ago, Ezz said:

I'd steer clear of a game based on its producer.

But as to moo, are we talking civ in space basically?

Essentially.

Whatever Tanitha's flaws (And I'm sure they're valid, WG hires a lot of detritus) they don't seem to have had too much of an impact on MOO. It's a nice 4X, useful as a way to getting younglings ready Stellaris and Endless Space 2.

8 hours ago, OOPMan said:

I've played a good amount of Endless Legend (72 hours, which is a lot of time for me to put into a single game). It is superb, especially with all the DLC added.

I'm playing Endless Space 2 and it's shaping up really nicely. They've vastly improved on Endless Space 1 which was, to be honest, a little dull. They've basically taken a lot of the stuff they added in Endless Legend, mixed in a little dose of Stellaris and are on their way to a winning formula.

On the subject of tactical combat..I honestly don't miss it. If you've played any 4X games with tactical combat for any length then you know how it goes:

• Early game, you play every battle because you have to in order to not get violated
  • Mid and late game you just auto-resolve because it doesn't matter, your forces are powerful enough losses mean little

Amplitude get a lot of flack for not doing tactical combat but I find it strange given that Civ has even less tactical combat and no one rages about the combat in Civ. I think perhaps people don't understand there are different kinds of 4X games. Some focus on combat (HoMM, Age of Wonders, etc) while others focus on the broader picture (Civ, Endless Space/Legend, etc).

@TouchFluffyTail could probably contribute to this thread too...

I've played all the Civs (not VI yet though), a little Call to Power, some Alpha Centauri, tons of MoM, all three old-school MoOs - very little of 3 (yuck) but lots of 2 and tons of 1 - and some 4X style RTSes like the Age of Empire series and Empire Earth series.

As for tactical combat I was hoping to see that simply because Civ got pretty tactical with combat with Civ V, with the end of the Stacks of Doom.   Now positioning is more complicated than just "park on a mountain and wait for somebody stupid enough to trade three or four units for each one of yours", you have to get your formation right and plan the approach.

I agree an RTS style tactical combat could be troublesome; I never really considered buying StarCraft 2 simply because StarCraft 1's "spam units and click a lot dragging them into a blob to throw at the enemy" gameplay never sat well with me.  Heresy, I know, but once you go Supreme Commander, you never go back.

But as for tactical combat, I really like the fact that Civ V makes me think more than just "crank out a ton of units and throw them in a stack at the enemy."  It looks like Endless Legend has that.

I may buy Endless Legend today and keep an eye on Endless Space 2.

3 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

I've played all the Civs (not VI yet though), a little Call to Power, some Alpha Centauri, tons of MoM, all three old-school MoOs - very little of 3 (yuck) but lots of 2 and tons of 1 - and some 4X style RTSes like the Age of Empire series and Empire Earth series.

As for tactical combat I was hoping to see that simply because Civ got pretty tactical with combat with Civ V, with the end of the Stacks of Doom.   Now positioning is more complicated than just "park on a mountain and wait for somebody stupid enough to trade three or four units for each one of yours", you have to get your formation right and plan the approach.

I agree an RTS style tactical combat could be troublesome; I never really considered buying StarCraft 2 simply because StarCraft 1's "spam units and click a lot dragging them into a blob to throw at the enemy" gameplay never sat well with me.  Heresy, I know, but once you go Supreme Commander, you never go back.

But as for tactical combat, I really like the fact that Civ V makes me think more than just "crank out a ton of units and throw them in a stack at the enemy."  It looks like Endless Legend has that.

I may buy Endless Legend today and keep an eye on Endless Space 2.

Take a look at the update 2 trailer for Endless Space 2, specifically at 2:40 where they cover how space battles have been further improved:

In short, they're not purely tactical but neither are simple auto-resolve affairs. Based on that trailer (I haven't been able to try Update 2 at all due to a nasty resolution bug that forces super-samping and prevents me from seeing more than than the top-left of the screen on my poor old 1080p monitor :-/) they've improved the card system from ES1 vastly, allowing more picks for each battle and providing a much larger number of cards. In ES1 you could only pick 3 cards per battle and they were from a very limited pool.

It's also important to note that while the ship design in ES2 isn't as modular Stellaris or some other games, you do have a lot of control over what equipment and weapons are fitted to ships. This allows you to create a ship-variant which is extra-Tanky with added shielding while another variant of the same design uses long-range weapons but is poorly shielded. The combat is not tactical in the traditional sense but it's certainly not dumb either :-)

I would highly recommend you play Endless Legend because it's awesome but also because it will give you an idea of the direction Endless Space 2 is moving in. If you like EL then you should definitely buy all the DLC because it improves on the complexity of the game a great deal. A lot of reviews of the base EL will mention that there is no Naval combat, something which is no longer true as of the latest DLC.