PDX_Dragon

Where do Tanks.GG and Tank Inspector get 3D Tank Models?

Hi Folks:

Title says it all. 

There seems to be 3D models of more or less every tank in WoT. 

Can I get my hands on these?

Thanks

Thanks OOPman and Assassian7:

Yea OOPman, I'm assuming they're in the package WoT installs and updates on our computers. 

But I've wondered through the WoT directories and don't see anything with an obvious name, or a directory with 300 individual tank model files. 

They're probably kept in a database, in a single file.  That's how I'd do it. 

Either Tanks.gg and similar tools know the name of that file, and how to access it's contents, or there is some other resource that has these models.  I'm curious to know the details of how they access the models.

If you look in res/packages, there are a bunch of .pkg files. These are just zip files that contain most of the game contents. For vehicles specifically they have vehicles_level_X packages for each tier and folders within them for each nation/tank. Once you access it I'm not sure what format the files are in, but they're there.

40 minutes ago, meem1029 said:

If you look in res/packages, there are a bunch of .pkg files. These are just zip files that contain most of the game contents. For vehicles specifically they have vehicles_level_X packages for each tier and folders within them for each nation/tank. Once you access it I'm not sure what format the files are in, but they're there.

I was about to post the same thing.

Yeah, the .pkg files contain all the models and textures. Tank Inspector, being a locally application, simply reads the .pkg files and renders the models. I'm not sure what format they're in but it's probably something pretty standard.

Thanks again:

That's great.  I'm working my way through an OpenGL library tutorial and I should be getting into the model lessons by this weekend. 

This could be fun.