Praetor77

AMX 40 - Masochist style

If you meet a KV1 or KV1S it's easier to aim for the MG at the back of the turret. You can penetrate there reliably with 67 pen (the PzIII gun). AMX40 ain't gonna have problems.

Well, you actually have to flank them though...

If you meet a KV1 or KV1S it's easier to aim for the MG at the back of the turret. You can penetrate there reliably with 67 pen (the PzIII gun). AMX40 ain't gonna have problems.

Well, you actually have to flank them though...

On KV-1 it is 40mm, so indeed a weak spot, on KV-1S its of same thickness as turret itself. KV-2 have it same as those oven doors - 60mm.

T-150 however is weird. On stock turret it is 80mm spot on 90mm all around while on upgraded turret whole rear is 75mm thick.

Are you 100% sure? Because i could definitely penetrate KV1Ss in that MG port with the pzIII gun, which instead bounced off the back of their turret.

Are you 100% sure? Because i could definitely penetrate KV1Ss in that MG port with the pzIII gun, which instead bounced off the back of their turret.

According to KV-1S armor model stated as 8.6 in WP8 utility I use it is of same thickness as rest of turret.

However it is possible that this tool have incorrect data, you could try Tank Viewer - which I can not use because Radeon is shit with half assed OpenGL support (and Tank Viewer uses stone age technology instead of DirectX).

Of course, flanking tier 6s with the speedy AMX40, and aiming for their weakspots with it´s super precise gun is obviously so easy!  :D

Prove us that your stats are not padded and do it!

Learn to play noob :>

There is small spot on ass of KV's where even tier 1 can penetrate them. It is right below that "skirt", middle stripe of their ass.

Upper rear is 60mm while bottom is 60mm with 30mm in between, tho its close to horizontal so it takes a bit of wiggling to get such shot.

(Upper and Lower armor values changes between models, but 30mm weakspot stays).

I am sure an enemy KV-1s will turn his ass towards you if you ask nicely.  :tongue:

On a more serious note: a 90% crew is pretty nice at tier IV, most players at that level suffer through ~60% garbage crews. Bring moderate skill to a tier IV game and you can pawn even in the crappiest tank. If you put a unicum there, it should be slaughter. Even more so if you are willing to shoot gold ammo to compensate for a low pen gun.

However, the AMX40's lack of speed makes spreading your skill across the battlefield extremely hard. You simply waste too much time driving around not hurting noobs.

Honestly, I think I gave up after 6 straight tier 6 matches, each with less than 3 tier 4s on each team. :)

Did ok overall though, stats ins OP are final, resold at 81 total games...

I remember a friend of mine played the tank and achieved 60% wins with abysmal stats because in anything other than a heavy BT6 game (7+ tier 6 tanks per team) he just rolled forward (better, crawled) at max speed towards the first engagement zone and rushed the enemy positions doing a little bit of spotting damage, very little direct, but taking a hell of a lot of time to die. Usually by the time the enemies shooting at him had actually killed him they were down 4 to 6 tanks.

He had a 60% wr with barely over pomato wn7 xD

Good job with the armoured duckinator!

Shame you couldn't stand to finish the 100 off, perhaps make it up in the AMX38? :P

I had a fairly good time in the AMX 40 when I grindeded it.

I remember holding the corner on Mountain Pass by the glacier against a group of TD's and Heavies that were getting quite frustrated that they were bouncing so many shells off of a light tank.

However that was before they introduced Matildas and premium-shells-4-credits.

Matilda is better in every way :)

Yeah, a string of tier VIs in a tank that can't dent much of anything would be enough for me too.

Thanks for the thread, I'll continue to avoid the French lines (other than the TDs) for now.

Managed to get a steel wall/top gun match in the AMX 40 for my 5x  on Veteran's Day weekend... then another solid 5x game the next day to finish the grind fast. (18 games)

It is kinda funny to see my "light tank" scout crew with a steel wall award on their service record.

Played 30 games in this to elite the tank. Only a few doubles, and to go into detail on how to play the tank;

- Start every match by saying "Quack"

- Wait for responses, hopefully someone says they run a duck skin

- NEVER GO UPHILL! You won't make it to ANY battle. You will be 13 baddies down with you and arty or some afk at spawn left and you haven't even aquired a target yet

- Oddly enough, and kind of unique to slow tanks, it does 50-60 km/h down hill. El Halleuf? Go Valley. Be sure to "Quack" when you're lit

- Better yet "Quack" after every kill

- You will get 28 tier 6s in a battle. DEAL WITH IT

- Replace all the good 4 letter words with Quack as you rage at your pubbies in those tier 6 battles after dying when some 43% KV-1S realizes 390 avg damage > 300 hp and chases you down and face derps you. Hopefully he bounces once. Quack at him if he does

- Sell this POS as soon as you derp your way through battles to 14900 XP or just can't take the pain and free XP it

The aim time is awful, reload not great, alpha decent for tier.

I ran out of 15 gold shells erry game.

I ran binocs/net/toolbax to spend no credits or gold, but ran a 75% the crew

I spent zero free XP on the ELC

I patted myself on the back as I sold it

First of all - apologies for thread necromancy, but couldn't find another thread about the duck

This is how I play the AMX 40.

Tank setup - everything is top except the gun. I use the 47mm SA35. This helps with mobility, and has only 2.7sec reload time with a 75% crew. Ammo - 56 AP /100 HE. I can keep pretty much every tank I meet in battle permatracked with HE ( if I have shots on his tracks). For those rare occasions I am top tier i have 56 AP rounds. Crew is 100%, NOT retrained for AMX 40 no perks/skills selected yet.

63% WR, 55% survived, only 110 DPG, around 550 assisted damage per game.

I finally got around to starting this line last week and got the duck over the weekend.

I was expecting the worst but so far I've been immensely lucky, winning 16 out of 19 games in it. And yet I haven't scored higher than a second class badge in it so far. So I'm liking it so far...

Honestly, im not sure why the AMX 40 has such a bad reputation. It has a decent enough gun, the armor stops most tier 4 guns entirely, and can dominate matches when top tier. I managed a respectable 57% w/r in mine over 74 games, and I actually enjoyed the grind through it (Granted, this was before the matilda appeared - I'm not sure how much that changed things). The only thing i disliked about it was that it was completely useless when lowest tier.

The gun's alpha is fine but the pen is lacking. A small buff to pen and horsepower would make this tank.

I elited my duck last night. 31 battles, 71% w/rate (stellar for me - my highest winrate for tanks with more than 20 battles). 

A bit more pen and hp as FlorbFnarb says and this would be an excellent tank. As it is I'd rank it second only to the Matilda in terms of the tier 4 mediums, a bit ahead of the Chi-He. And well ahead of the M3 Lee and PZ III.

Running this line on my laptop account (motels, wifi, etc) which WAS at 49% and change....after 31 battles in the 38 (42% win rate) and 43 battles in the 40 ( 37% win rate) I'm now down in the low 46's.....every battle, one sea of KV1S's on the other side, pile of heavies acting like scared td's on my side, not much I can do about it...mebbe 1 battle out of ten I'm top tier...effing brutal

The 40 is just one of those tanks that's supposed to be a stepping stone for tanks afterwards. People with the will and means to do so will free xp past it. I'd say it's purpose is to get people to buy gold to skip it. I'm half way thorough the grind and find it my least favorite tank to date. At least the Lee gets a good gun. 14k xp is painful on this and tests my resolve to stay away from buying gold.

I finally parked the thing after I got to 8k....consistently getting assfucked by MM (for whatever reason) every battle, plus having to endure this tank, which is often challenged by tier 3 opponents, is more than I can take....I'll prolly gold the rest, should I ever pursue it again

In tier 4, I hated seeing an AMX on the other team. Once I got to tier 5, that changed to "Oh boy, duck for dinner!" It's one of those tanks that's killer at tier 4 but dies at tier 5+. If it got special MM like tier 4 heavies, I might go grind it.

I hated that tank more than the Lee, it would be fun had it not gotten the mm that it gets.

The AMX 40 isn't THAT bad bottom tier... I've seen one (driven by a scrub) take out two tier 6s.

Proof- http://youtu.be/8IDkr_EzZJQ

I think i've got a top gun on the M3 Lee. That doesnt change the fact that the tank is crap :P

Even at tier 4 there are so many tanks i'd rather be driving.

-PzIII

-Any TD somua excluded

-T80

-Matilda

-T28