Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Meirzin

Looking at building my first pc

Recommended Posts

I have both the case and the same CPU cooler, it is a fucking pain in the ass to mount inside of an NZXT Phantom. Go for something that has dedicated support for a 240mm radiator. NZXT S340 is sexiest case NA in my opinion. Also maybe 32GB of ram is rather overkill unless you do a lot of high res photo/video work. Dropping one of the sets and sticking with 16GB with room to add more in future is probably fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the comment on the RAM.  16 should be more than enough for now, and you can save some money there.  Also, you may want to invest in a couple more fans to throw in for some additional air flow.  Your parts should all be compatible.  If they're not, pcpartpicker will alert you to that ahead of time.  All in all, really solid build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with what you have there, just be aware that the case is not my personal preference.

My brother bought that case for his PC, and I have found that while the exterior is great looking on photos, I found it a bit plastiky and really wasn't a fan.

Also, I would make sure it has a dual 120 mm fan support on the top, I recall it shipping with 180mm fans on top but I might be mistaken.

Edit: This is the one I would recommend, really clean case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX57D0865

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You gave us very little information to work with - what 's your native resolution? Do you plan to upgrade your TFT in the forseeable future? Gaming PC and/or workstation, streaming? ...

 

That aside I went over that list and made some adjustments:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/F0lterknecht/saved/wqGhMp

  • changed AIO to something better, that Corsair thing is overrated, overpriced and loud. Here is a review for the unit I selected and use myself.
  • changed the motherboard to Z270 - prevents some issues you might otherwise run into and allows for the use of Intels upcoming "Optan" products
  • as others have said 32GB is nonsense for a pure gaming PC - tell us what else you plan to do with it.
  • switched the case to something more tastefull, that doesn't scream cheap plastic and 13 year old transformer fan.
  • downsized the PSU a little - even 650W is overkill for this system - saves you some bucks
  • changed optical drive. If you insist on an optical drive in 2017 - most people don't need it anymore, though personally I also have one - do it right and get at least one that can read BluRay.
  • if you have an old windows 7 or 8.1 license (maybe from a laptop) you can still upgrade for free to windows 10 ...

 

Edit:

 

If you need a workstation or a streaming PC

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/F0lterknecht/saved/4rZXLk

 

go X99 and at least 6 cores - you can overclock the machine above to 4.3 - 4.6 GHz depending on the silicon lottery without many problems and you stay below 2000$.

 

 

Though if you 're looking at a workstation you should at least wait till march - AMD Zen CPUs and the reviews will be out by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advice. For more information on the use it's going to be mainly just gaming, would like to be able to stream though. Regarding resolution I'm still looking for a monitor. If you have a good recommendation I'm looking for a 2k with at least 144hz refresh rate. 

Edited by Meirzin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My list. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hDfxtJ

7700K, X61 cooler, 32GB (because i respect more RAM), 1080, 500GB SSD and 4TB slow drive. 

 

Peripherals are more of taste choice, and i would recommend some 27" 2K screen (4K is overrated and with poor support in real world, scaling sucks donkey dick). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Adder I ninja edited you. Thanks for the list. I forgot to mention earlier that I would like the ability to add a second 1080 later if I want to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atm I ve FF (~50 tabs, 3 windows), WoWS and OBS (streaming) running - below 10GB RAM. But all 4 cores are between 60-100% ... . You notice when streaming that 4 cores isn't that good anymore - sure a 7700K with 8 threads will be better, but nothing is better than more physical cores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Meirzin said:

Sorry Adder I ninja edited you. Thanks for the list. I forgot to mention earlier that I would like the ability to add a second 1080 later if I want to. 

Maybe will be better to replace card. But that's future 1080 is superb for 2K. I played at 4K with 1070 so you can do it with 1080.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeItacu said:

While we are on the subject, Is a i5 6600k CPU good enough for 1080p Streaming?

I have an i5 4690k @4.2GHz. Its mostly fine for streaming at 1080p, its recording locally that it can struggle for some reason

And yes, upgrading to the Z270 is what I'd do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DeItacu said:

While we are on the subject, Is a i5 6600k CPU good enough for 1080p Streaming?

It's okay but definitely not the best for new-gen games like BF1.

i7s are preferred for streaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

I have an i5 4690k @4.2GHz. Its mostly fine for streaming at 1080p, its recording locally that it can struggle for some reason

And yes, upgrading to the Z270 is what I'd do

 

wasted money - wait till AMD releases ZEN and keep an eye on 6-8 core reviews. I 've a feeling AMD will sell the 6 core/12 thread CPU for the price of a 7600K maybe. If you re into streaming that will be of a much higher benefit than any 4 core CPU that runs at 5 GHz, assuming the IPC of these new CPUs will be around Haswell/Broadwell level.

 

I'm currently playing around a little bit with streaming running a 3570K @4.5 GHz with 16GB of RAM and an SSD. While WoT runs fine streaming @1080p, WoWS displays some noticable frame drops dimishing the gameplay experience quite a bit. I don't wanna know what stutter fest games like GTA IV become with a regular 4 core setup.

 

Expected release/reviews beginning/middle or march.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

 

wasted money - wait till AMD releases ZEN and keep an eye on 6-8 core reviews. I 've a feeling AMD will sell the 6 core/12 thread CPU for the price of a 7600K maybe. If you re into streaming that will be of a much higher benefit than any 4 core CPU that runs at 5 GHz, assuming the IPC of these new CPUs will be around Haswell/Broadwell level.

 

I'm currently playing around a little bit with streaming running a 3570K @4.5 GHz with 16GB of RAM and an SSD. While WoT runs fine streaming @1080p, WoWS displays some noticable frame drops dimishing the gameplay experience quite a bit. I don't wanna know what stutter fest games like GTA IV become with a regular 4 core setup.

 

Expected release/reviews beginning/middle or march.

Hopefully its a jump forward. tbh less than impressed w/ the jump from the 6700's to 7700's. Intel needs pushed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Hopefully its a jump forward. tbh less than impressed w/ the jump from the 6700's to 7700's. Intel needs pushed

Next year Intel will release 6 core CPUs on their mainstream platform afaik - coffeelake. They could have done that 4 years back already.

 

Currently the iGPU in a 7700K is taking up roughly 40-50% of the DIE space ... . So in theory Intel could sell and 8 core CPU on the desktop platform (without iGPU) for the same price as the current 7700K without increased cost. DIE space is DIE space and doesnt care much whether its taken up by cpu cores or an iGPU as long as the fabrication process stays the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Next year Intel will release 6 core CPUs on their mainstream platform afaik - coffeelake. They could have done that 4 years back already.

1

Why would do that? They have no real competition, and milking current platforms with an additional cost of enthusiast 6/8 is better for them. If only AMD or anyone else step up with game we could see real progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlackAdder said:

Why would do that? They have no real competition, and milking current platforms with an additional cost of enthusiast 6/8 is better for them. If only AMD or anyone else step up with game we could see real progress. 

They "have to".

 

  • people are still running 2500/2600 (K) and don't see a viable upgrade within a reasonable price range. You can equip a Sandybridge system with a 480/1060 (or 1070 depending on resolution)  and in most games, you 'll only suffer ~10% less performance. And the home user who doesnt game but maybe plays around with video editing wont buy into the X99 platform, he also has very little incentive to upgrade from a higher end Sandy CPU.
  • when AMD offers 6 - 8 cores between 250-500$ with Haswell/Broadwell IPC, who 'd buy 4c/8T i7s for 350$???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2017 at 5:25 AM, Folterknecht said:

I think this is what I'm going to go with, but I am worried about the liquid cooling as I've never worked with it before. Also is there anything else I need to buy with this line thermal paste or any other little things like that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Meirzin said:

I think this is what I'm going to go with, but I am worried about the liquid cooling as I've never worked with it before. Also is there anything else I need to buy with this line thermal paste or any other little things like that? 

While I would wait till beginning of march before pulling the trigger, these all in one liquid coolers are easy to install and don't require special attention like custom loops. Just buy a little bit of thermal paste seperatly. Personally I also like to have a motherboard speaker in my system - they often arn't included anymore with cases or MBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

While I would wait till beginning of march before pulling the trigger, these all in one liquid coolers are easy to install and don't require special attention like custom loops. Just buy a little bit of thermal paste seperatly. Personally I also like to have a motherboard speaker in my system - they often arn't included anymore with cases or MBs.

Ok, any specific paste you would recommend? Also what comes out in march? I work be ordering anything until ~2nd of March. Thanks for the advice.

Also this is the latest monitor I'm looking at. https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PB277Q-WQHD-2560x1440-Monitor/dp/B01EN3Z7QQ Went for a lower refresh rate because it saved a lot of money.

Edited by Meirzin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...