FlorbFnarb

Endless Legend

Played a bit of the game, lots of the first match stuff was really going over my head; some of the game mechanics are not explained all that well in the tutorial.  Played a bit until I learned some things and it became obvious that I was not doing well on the normal difficulty, and started a new match on the easiest difficulty to really learn how the game works.  Doing much (obviously) better this time around, and learning some of the mechanics.

• I still can't find anywhere that tells me how many armies I can have at the time, or how many units can be in one army at that time.

• I don't know just how close an army has to be to another to be allowed into a fight as reinforcements.

• Titanium and glassteel don't seem especially useful for weapons.  By the time you get Tier 1 titanium and glassteel weapons, they still aren't as good as Tier 3 steel weapons.  Adamantian stuff is still better than steel, even comparing Tier 1 to Tier 3.

• Has anybody else noticed just how Lovecraftian some of these species are?  You've got the Necrophages, the Morgawr, and the Cult of the Eternal End, plus a lot of the minor factions are a bit like Lovecraftian horrors.

Looks like a really good game so far, but they really could have made better tutorial content.

@FlorbFnarb The number of armies and units per army you can have are determined, iirc, by certain techs you can unlock. I think at the start you can only have 4 points per army, with most units consuming 1 point while certain units consume 2 points. The total number of units you can field is also determined by a tech iirc. Look the in the tech tree for techs that reference command limit or something like that.

I think when it comes to joining a fight, it's adjacent units that join I think...

With regards to the weapon upgrades, I guess it depends on your resources and stuff. You might luck out and get a good glassteel or titanium deposit where you spawn and thus if you're playing an aggressive race you might actually use those glassteel/titanium level 1 weapons before you get up to tier 3 steel weapons. Keep in mind that when you play on the easier difficulties its easier to sit back and relax and research whereas on the higher difficulties the AI can be a bit more aggressive.

I didn't really think about the Lovecraft connection too much until the most recent expansion. The Morgawr are definitely channelling some deep one love. What's cool about Endless Legend is that some of the species are from Endless Space 1 :-)

7 hours ago, OOPMan said:

@FlorbFnarb The number of armies and units per army you can have are determined, iirc, by certain techs you can unlock. I think at the start you can only have 4 points per army, with most units consuming 1 point while certain units consume 2 points. The total number of units you can field is also determined by a tech iirc. Look the in the tech tree for techs that reference command limit or something like that.

I think when it comes to joining a fight, it's adjacent units that join I think...

With regards to the weapon upgrades, I guess it depends on your resources and stuff. You might luck out and get a good glassteel or titanium deposit where you spawn and thus if you're playing an aggressive race you might actually use those glassteel/titanium level 1 weapons before you get up to tier 3 steel weapons. Keep in mind that when you play on the easier difficulties its easier to sit back and relax and research whereas on the higher difficulties the AI can be a bit more aggressive.

I didn't really think about the Lovecraft connection too much until the most recent expansion. The Morgawr are definitely channelling some deep one love. What's cool about Endless Legend is that some of the species are from Endless Space 1 :-)

You're right about the research; that's why I figured I ought to play a game on the easiest level first, just to get stuff down.

You're probably right about the adjacent units, although I think it might work two spaces out.

As far as the materials go, I don't remember seeing titanium and glassteel before getting Tier 3 iron stuff, although it's possible I overlooked it; there's a lot to take in.

Also, they should have created a Guardian that's a gigantic, green, winged, squid-headed monstrosity that shows up out of the sea.

As least from my experience, adjacent armies must be within the borders of the resulting battle zone in order to reinforce (5-ish tiles from your army? Cannot remember).

As for weapons, titanium and glassteel are acquirable early game, there's a military tech which allows their production/purchasing alongside the tech allowing for the respective resource mining. I haven't played the game in a while, but IIRC if the tech era has a technology for mining a resource, there will also be a tech allowing for the resource's use in weapons/armour.

2 hours ago, Covalent said:

As least from my experience, adjacent armies must be within the borders of the resulting battle zone in order to reinforce (5-ish tiles from your army? Cannot remember).

As for weapons, titanium and glassteel are acquirable early game, there's a military tech which allows their production/purchasing alongside the tech allowing for the respective resource mining. I haven't played the game in a while, but IIRC if the tech era has a technology for mining a resource, there will also be a tech allowing for the resource's use in weapons/armour.

This is correct. There is a Era I production tech that unlocks access to resources like Titanium and Glassteel. In the military spectrum there is a corresponding Era I tech that unlocks Titanium/Glassteeel enhancements. I would imagine if you are playing an aggressive race like the Necrophage then nabbing these two techs early can give you a nice advantage.

7 hours ago, Covalent said:

5 hours ago, OOPMan said:

This is correct. There is a Era I production tech that unlocks access to resources like Titanium and Glassteel. In the military spectrum there is a corresponding Era I tech that unlocks Titanium/Glassteeel enhancements. I would imagine if you are playing an aggressive race like the Necrophage then nabbing these two techs early can give you a nice advantage.

That's correct, but IIRC the same tech gave me access to Tier 2 iron weapons and armor too, which generally give better attack, damage, and armor values.  The main benefit of the titanium and glassteel stuff seems to me to be improved initiative and so forth, but at that level seems to be pretty small.

Once I got access to adamantine stuff, though, I used the hell out of it.

40 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Sometimes enhanced initiative is worth more than enhanced damage. 

This, if you can get better initiative than your enemies, battles becomes significantly easier. For melee units especially, attacking first negates your opponent's attack phase, which means they can only counter and cannot move; for ranged units it allows you to fall back before coming into range. In the early game it can mean the difference between coming out unscathed and losing a unit or two.

3 hours ago, OOPMan said:

@FlorbFnarb Sometimes enhanced initiative is worth more than enhanced damage. 

3 hours ago, Covalent said:

This, if you can get better initiative than your enemies, battles becomes significantly easier. For melee units especially, attacking first negates your opponent's attack phase, which means they can only counter and cannot move; for ranged units it allows you to fall back before coming into range. In the early game it can mean the difference between coming out unscathed and losing a unit or two.

Agreed, and I take initiative improvements when I can get a good one; I just remember the glassteel seeming to give what seemed at the time a rather minimal initiative improvement in exchange for what seemed to be a rather large drop in damage compared to Tier 4 iron stuff.

8 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Agreed, and I take initiative improvements when I can get a good one; I just remember the glassteel seeming to give what seemed at the time a rather minimal initiative improvement in exchange for what seemed to be a rather large drop in damage compared to Tier 4 iron stuff.

It sounds like you researched Glassteel a little late ;-)

It sounds like you researched Glassteel a little late ;-)

That's possible.  Early in the game I really jumped on food and industry improving techs, and when a new era shows up I'm fairly religious about not researching stuff from past eras for the most part.  I literally had to go back and research the techs for transport ships and for alliances when I was in Era 5, because I had skipped them in favor of improvements to agriculture and industry early on, and then later for weapons and armor.

It's habits holding over from Civ; I usually prioritize stuff that boosts growth and industry, and rarely go warmongering before I have gunpowder era weapons.

17 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

That's possible.  Early in the game I really jumped on food and industry improving techs, and when a new era shows up I'm fairly religious about not researching stuff from past eras for the most part.  I literally had to go back and research the techs for transport ships and for alliances when I was in Era 5, because I had skipped them in favor of improvements to agriculture and industry early on, and then later for weapons and armor.

It's habits holding over from Civ; I usually prioritize stuff that boosts growth and industry, and rarely go warmongering before I have gunpowder era weapons.

Yeah, that kind of strategy will work against an easy AI but against a stronger AI or with poor conditions you might not have such easy choices :-)

I played one game were I was Roving Clans and spawned on an island that was occupied by...Necrophage. I got rekt :-)

Yeah, that kind of strategy will work against an easy AI but against a stronger AI or with poor conditions you might not have such easy choices :-)

I played one game were I was Roving Clans and spawned on an island that was occupied by...Necrophage. I got rekt :-)

Yeah, that'll do it.

Damn, gotta be careful with the world generation settings.  Just had a match where everybody was on an island with only one region, practically no strategic resources to speak of.

So OOPman, I bought Endless Legend since it was on sale and you seem like you have a clue about strategy gaming ...

Very nice game, got through the tutorial, played about 100 turns of a game on normal and am now starting a second game to make up for all the early mistakes I made in game 1.  I need to get better at understanding the tactical controls for combat - aside form that I feel like I could really spend some time with this one.  Good recommendation.

7 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

So OOPman, I bought Endless Legend since it was on sale and you seem like you have a clue about strategy gaming ...

Very nice game, got through the tutorial, played about 100 turns of a game on normal and am now starting a second game to make up for all the early mistakes I made in game 1.  I need to get better at understanding the tactical controls for combat - aside form that I feel like I could really spend some time with this one.  Good recommendation.

Glad to have gotten someone else on the Endless Wagon :-)

23 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

Plan your armies well.  I like having a couple tanks that can block the enemy and soak damage, and a couple other damage dealers, either a fast melee unit that does high damage, or else a ranged unit.