Jump to content
Hideshi

Improve or switch to AW?

Recommended Posts

Ha! Clickbaited you! So let's assume there is some good advice here on Wotlabs. I've been steadily improving, but it's quite modest. I'll have a 3.5k damage game in my E5 then do zero damage the next game. Then for several games I'll get maybe 2 or 3 shots, if I'm lucky. 

I think there's a lot of sound advice on here, but there's also a lot of disparate advice. Some examples:

1. Aggressive Early Positioning

2. Play passive

3. Farm damage, fuck pubbies

4. Follow pubbies and use them for meatshields (I like this, but it never works for me:feelsbad:)

5. Go middle

6. Go corridor

 

Tactically- I think each one of these has merit. But the overarching theme of PP interaction here is this: learn when to do what. Everything depends. 

So I watch, I installed XVM and when I 'splode I watch the best player on the team. If i have a shit game I pull up WotReplays and study the map meta and tactics on that tank. If I get consistently blasted by the same tank I look at its weakspots. But quite often I wind up in a great position with every arty in the game on me. Or getting focused. And then the teams... I know wotlabs frowns on blaming the team, but I'm just not good enough to read the battlefield yet and turn it into a carry.

I've tried a few clans but the ones I was in got their asses kicked in Companies and CWs. They had a very "relax, it's all fun and games" attitude- which attracted me until I realized I wasn't improving and it sucked being on a losing team of shitters every week. We'd roll out and everyone was all "ok, guys, let's get after it!" like we had a fucking chance then after the stomping we'd sit around and talk about "what went wrong." We were all varying degrees of shit-flavor who had no business playing CW, that's what went wrong. They'd coddle and diddle each other like maybe RNGesus would smile on them next game and we'd win... So the higher-level clans obviously wouldn't take me because stats. So I've been trying to solopub warrior monk and I'm losing my fucking mind. My end goal is to get stats in solopubs high enough to play with a clan that wins- or at least doesn't get shitstomped every single game. 

To get down to it, I feel like I can only focus on one thing at a time- like a golf swing- but when I do some other variable will present itself. I need someone who can watch the way I play and give me the MOST important 2 or 3 things to work on.

So for reference the tanks I'm playing (and enjoying) at the moment are:

T110E5

T-10- planning on getting IS-7

M26 Pershing- not sure if the Pattons are worth it?

T32 - love this thing. It's the tank that taught your cold english wife how to hull down, which I probably should have done in the T29, but yolo.

Also have a bevy of premiums that I enjoy to varying degrees: M4A1 Rev, T26E5, IS-6.

I have an IS-3 but I'm considering dumping it. I dunno, I've been an absolute shitter in it recently. 

 

God I ramble.

 

TL:DR-- So all that said anyone willing to platoon up with me and show me a few things? I'm usually on USE, on at crazy hours but I'm on a LOT. If so, just hit me up here or in game and I'd be much obliged. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my personal opinion, there's no point watching the 'best' player in a specific match so I'd probably uninstall XVM. However, I think you are on the right path.
The best way to improve your gameplay would be to think about what you are doing and explain to yourself why it is a good or bad move.
This can be done verbally or non-verbally. The key is to identify all the micro/macro plays you could have done and utilize the one that you think (from experience) will net you the best overall result.

When I am in full tilt, I will both verbally and non-verbally analyze my own play to correct the mistakes I am not able to unconsciously correct. This has generally led to the greatest improvements to my gameplay and consistently fun sessions.

A sample of my analytical questions I ask and answer every game to get me out of full tilt and improve my gameplay:

  1. What kind of composition do they have and where is it most effective? What are my tanks strengths and weaknesses? What tank is a priority target (relative to its strength against my team)? What tank should I avoid (aka will likely kill my with ease or give me trouble)?
  2. Will I have support heading to x flank?
    a. Are there plentiful allies?
    b. Is x a suitable spot for my tank?
    c. What is the most effective position for me to take to punish enemy mistakes
        i.e. when they turn their turrets away from me to shoot allies, can I shoot at them quickly and effectively? Is x a position of contention between both teams that will swing a match? etc
  3. Having gone to a position and knowing the rough idea where the enemy has set up (i.e. lights by yourself or allies), is there a spot where I can be at to be more effective?
  4. ARE ALLIES STILL IN POSITION TO SUPPORT ME? :serb: *not doing this gets me killed the most* :serb:
    a. Look around you and assess the relative positions between you and allies (both by mini-map and actually turning your camera around)
        i. If they are in position, aggress a little and see if they follow you
       ii. If not in position, back up! Alternatively suggest that they move up to support you.
      iii. If neither or aren't sure, play passive and make a decision then, but be ready to identify certain cues (refer to point 3) that will either (a) be the trigger for you to push or (b) retreat
  5. Are there bushes you can abuse to your advantage when you fire?
    a. Will it make a difference in whether or not you get lit?
    b. Does it not matter anyways because you know you won't get punished?
  6. Always look around when you can and identify what tanks have fired and how long you can punish them during reload.
  7. Re-familiarize yourself with finer mechanics (i.e. angling, side-scraping, vision, camouflage, weak spots, reload timers, etc).
  8. See what proactive/reactive responses top-level players do (i.e. X3N4's replays, Kolni's twitch, daki's twitch, literally anyone FAME, etc) and identify why they did certain things, went to certain positions, reacted a certain way, etc by using steps 1-6.
  9. Rinse and repeat 1-7/8 every game until it becomes learned behaviour and borderline autonomous.

You get the idea. You don't have to do everything in one go, but work your way up. Gather experience to understand in what circumstances/enemy positions that things work, etc.

I am certain the vast majority of top level players think like this at varying levels of consciousness/unconsciousness and at varying levels of specificity. If you've ever played a sport or even wondered how the legends (TOM BRADY GOAT?) do it, it's because they've done similar thinking processes like this and racked up countless hours of experience to intuitively know what will likely produce the most optimal outcome.

Get your brain thinking inside and outside the box! It's the best way to play at a consistently high level and it's what many players and stat padders lack.

EDIT: I may or may not lack the time to platoon with you but feel free to add me and I will invite when I am not busy.

EDIT2: I rambled more than you did xD. Just apply whatever relevant step applies when you watch platoonmates as well and you will be fine ^^

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fulcrous said:

In my personal opinion, there's no point watching the 'best' player in a specific match so I'd probably uninstall XVM. However, I think you are on the right path.
The best way to improve your gameplay would be to think about what you are doing and explain to yourself why it is a good or bad move.
This can be done verbally or non-verbally. The key is to identify all the micro/macro plays you could have done and utilize the one that you think (from experience) will net you the best overall result.

When I am in full tilt, I will both verbally and non-verbally analyze my own play to correct the mistakes I am not able to unconsciously correct. This has generally led to the greatest improvements to my gameplay and consistently fun sessions.

A sample of my analytical questions I ask and answer every game to get me out of full tilt and improve my gameplay:

  1. What kind of composition do they have and where is it most effective? What are my tanks strengths and weaknesses? What tank is a priority target (relative to its strength against my team)? What tank should I avoid (aka will likely kill my with ease or give me trouble)?
  2. Will I have support heading to x flank?
    a. Are there plentiful allies?
    b. Is x a suitable spot for my tank?
    c. What is the most effective position for me to take to punish enemy mistakes
        i.e. when they turn their turrets away from me to shoot allies, can I shoot at them quickly and effectively? Is x a position of contention between both teams that will swing a match? etc
  3. Having gone to a position and knowing the rough idea where the enemy has set up (i.e. lights by yourself or allies), is there a spot where I can be at to be more effective?
  4. ARE ALLIES STILL IN POSITION TO SUPPORT ME? :serb: *not doing this gets me killed the most* :serb:
    a. Look around you and assess the relative positions between you and allies (both by mini-map and actually turning your camera around)
        i. If they are in position, aggress a little and see if they follow you
       ii. If not in position, back up! Alternatively suggest that they move up to support you.
      iii. If neither or aren't sure, play passive and make a decision then, but be ready to identify certain cues (refer to point 3) that will either (a) be the trigger for you to push or (b) retreat
  5. Are there bushes you can abuse to your advantage when you fire?
    a. Will it make a difference in whether or not you get lit?
    b. Does it not matter anyways because you know you won't get punished?
  6. Always look around when you can and identify what tanks have fired and how long you can punish them during reload.
  7. Re-familiarize yourself with finer mechanics (i.e. angling, side-scraping, vision, camouflage, weak spots, reload timers, etc).
  8. See what proactive/reactive responses top-level players do (i.e. X3N4's replays, Kolni's twitch, daki's twitch, literally anyone FAME, etc) and identify why they did certain things, went to certain positions, reacted a certain way, etc by using steps 1-6.
  9. Rinse and repeat 1-7/8 every game until it becomes learned behaviour and borderline autonomous.

You get the idea. You don't have to do everything in one go, but work your way up. Gather experience to understand in what circumstances/enemy positions that things work, etc.

I am certain the vast majority of top level players think like this at varying levels of consciousness/unconsciousness and at varying levels of specificity. If you've ever played a sport or even wondered how the legends (TOM BRADY GOAT?) do it, it's because they've done similar thinking processes like this and racked up countless hours of experience to intuitively know what will likely produce the most optimal outcome.

Get your brain thinking inside and outside the box! It's the best way to play at a consistently high level and it's what many players and stat padders lack.

EDIT: I may or may not lack the time to platoon with you but feel free to add me and I will invite when I am not busy.

EDIT2: I rambled more than you did xD. Just apply whatever relevant step applies when you watch platoonmates as well and you will be fine ^^

I think Kolni or someone else mentioned something that has helped me grately - Try to avoid being focused so don't get spotted first and in the most forward position unless you can run away fast, don't keep being spotted constantly in the most forward position etc. Just don't make the enemies subconsciously target you because they see you closest and all the time.

 

Also watching Zeven at youtube helped me a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a good point, not spotted=not shot, usually. 

 

And Fulcrous I appreciate your comments, really. But that's also similar to what's already widely available as "Advice" on Wotlabs- all really good, but I need someone to watch me try and hump all those decisions at once and tell me which I'm neglecting or doing poorly. 

 

So back to the point- can anyone spare some time to toon/teach?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I find it easier to improve through practice and not reading guides, unless you're trying to find good positions on a certain map.

I only recently read this and I think it changed how I play wot forever. "WoT is like chess". 

- First you get into an initial position to take shots yet not recieve any.

- Second, read the map and relocate to where you could do some more damage.

- Third is where the match is about to finish so go ahead and yolo and sacrifice hp for the win 

 

Easier said than done, and I really butchered the wording of the method. I can't remember the exact wording but it was Vetro who spoke these wise words.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hideshi said:

That's a good point, not spotted=not shot, usually. 

 

And Fulcrous I appreciate your comments, really. But that's also similar to what's already widely available as "Advice" on Wotlabs- all really good, but I need someone to watch me try and hump all those decisions at once and tell me which I'm neglecting or doing poorly. 

 

So back to the point- can anyone spare some time to toon/teach?

It's not to be not spotted. It's not to be spotted first. People tend to focus whoever comes to their view first. They will only switch to you if you become an OBVIOUSLY easier target. If it's as hard to shoot him and you, they will shoot whoever is first spotted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@hazzgar are you looking for help mate?

happy to do some gameplay analysis and toons over ts if you like? My ign is yranna

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dimi2000 said:

@hazzgar are you looking for help mate?

happy to do some gameplay analysis and toons over ts if you like? My ign is yranna

The stats you see on my acc are not my acc. Wotlabs is displaying the wrong account stats for me. Thanks for the offer. I'd still probably use it though since I'm stuck at 56% WR my biggest problem is playing on a shitty mac on bootcamp and being overly agressive when my team decides to do nothing. 


I will write to you but my game times are irregular thanks to the erratic nature of my job.

Edited by hazzgar
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...