Sign in to follow this  
Hideshi

Starting Lineup?

Question

So simple question, maybe a ridiculous one. Do you have a starting lineup that you stick with when you start a session?

I find that much of my success over 20+ game sessions starts with the first 3-5 games. Conversely, when I have a dozen games of poundings, it usually means I started badly. 

That said, what I'm trying to do is start out with my Tier 8 prems, M4 Rev, IS6, T26E5. That way at least I'm making a little extra if the game goes poorly. What ends up happening though is my playstyle is all over the place from those 3 different tank roles, and then I don't recover until ten games in. By that point, winrate and patience are in the shitter and I feel like I'm climbing out of a hole all session. 

So talk to me about your starting lineup ritual, either with tanks or meta and mindset, or both. Or are you all just so good that you start high and stay high?

3 answers to this question

This kind of mentality is more what is leading to your lopsided performance, rather than the results of the games themselves. If you start poorly and start getting frustrated, this puts you on tilt, which then leads to more poorly planned decisions and a downward spiral of fail. In contrast, starting well leads to focusing more on all of your options so you don't "ruin the session", which leads to more thought out decisions and better play overall. It's something all of us are victim to in varying amounts, and can only really be overcome with forced patience after many games. 

The IS-6 and Patriot have similar play styles so jumping between those shouldn't make too big of an impact, but the M4 Rev is on a totally different spectrum so if you want to do well in it, you have to shift away from the mentality of "heavy tank brawl". 

Regarding starting rituals, if I plan to play for a longer session (doing all my T10 doubles for example) I begin with my heavy tanks (E5, IS-7, E-100, etc) so I can ease into focus and I have the time during reloads and re positioning to make sure I am aware of everything happening around me. Once those are done, shifting into the much faster-paced medium play is easier because I already have the focus and pattern of situational awareness and I just need to speed up my thinking. A really big thing is not dwelling about the fails. I still make mistakes in my play, and at this point all I can really do is accept it and move on. As long as you know what the mistake was and why, you can learn from it and next time the same situation happens you will be better prepared for how to handle it.

Tried your advice last night. Your note about having the time to settle into it was insightful. I started with IS-3, currently the longest reload time I have, then IS-6, then T26E5, etc. 

At any rate 24hr WN8 went up by around 450. Dunno if it's a fluke or what, but thanks.

On 2/10/2017 at 2:49 PM, Luna said:

This kind of mentality is more what is leading to your lopsided performance, rather than the results of the games themselves. If you start poorly and start getting frustrated, this puts you on tilt, which then leads to more poorly planned decisions and a downward spiral of fail. In contrast, starting well leads to focusing more on all of your options so you don't "ruin the session", which leads to more thought out decisions and better play overall. It's something all of us are victim to in varying amounts, and can only really be overcome with forced patience after many games. 

The IS-6 and Patriot have similar play styles so jumping between those shouldn't make too big of an impact, but the M4 Rev is on a totally different spectrum so if you want to do well in it, you have to shift away from the mentality of "heavy tank brawl". 

Regarding starting rituals, if I plan to play for a longer session (doing all my T10 doubles for example) I begin with my heavy tanks (E5, IS-7, E-100, etc) so I can ease into focus and I have the time during reloads and re positioning to make sure I am aware of everything happening around me. Once those are done, shifting into the much faster-paced medium play is easier because I already have the focus and pattern of situational awareness and I just need to speed up my thinking. A really big thing is not dwelling about the fails. I still make mistakes in my play, and at this point all I can really do is accept it and move on. As long as you know what the mistake was and why, you can learn from it and next time the same situation happens you will be better prepared for how to handle it.

Agreed, pacing yourself and taking time is important.