Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

So last night my GPU started overheating and turning off and I realized my fans are not spinning. (I have a GTX 980ti G1 Gaming). The "silent mode" lights are on and the fans turn off as soon as windows 10 boots up. Even when I'm playing graphically intensive games the fans wont turn on. I tried reinstalling the drivers and it didn't work. I'm clueless when it comes to computers please help.

 

Update: I got my fans working but for some reason it still crashes. I don't know what the hell is going on with my pc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bavor said:

On some GPUs you can see the fan header connector.  If you can see it, is it loose?

 

No it's not. When I start my pc the fans are on until windows boots up. So I would assume it might be software related. But I have no idea how I would figure out what's causing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So to confirm:

  1. GPU works
  2. Fans initially kick up during boot
  3. Once windows boots it turns off

That should be standard until it hits a certain temperature (generally 60 degrees).
The fact it spins initially suggests before windows boots suggests that it is a software issue as manual speeds are applied after boot.

Do you use something like afterburner/open HWID monitor/etc?
It is possible you may have manually set fan speeds to 0 by accident.
If not get it and lmk if manually changing fan speeds does anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

So to confirm:

  1. GPU works
  2. Fans initially kick up during boot
  3. Once windows boots it turns off

That should be standard until it hits a certain temperature (generally 60 degrees).
The fact it spins initially suggests before windows boots suggests that it is a software issue as manual speeds are applied after boot.

Do you use something like afterburner/open HWID monitor/etc?
It is possible you may have manually set fan speeds to 0 by accident.
If not get it and lmk if manually changing fan speeds does anything.

I haven't touched anything software related. The problem is that the fans never kick it, so it just overheats and shuts down.

 

2 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

You could try getting something like EVGAs software or MSI afterburner or something that manually sets GPU fan speeds and see if that works?

I'll try that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it worked for like 10 minutes and then it randomly crashed. I have no clue what's wrong now because the fans were working so I don't think it overheated.

Update: I noticed it was locked at 40% fan speed and it wasn't going up if it needed to. Going to try locking it at 100% to see if that helps.

Update number 2: I put the fans up to 100% but after playing games for around 10 minutes my pc just crashes. :^(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1)Did you try a clean driver reinstall with DDU?

 

2)Can you plug that GPU into a different PC (min. 500W quality PSU)? If possbile also take your PSU for testing with you, just in case your GPU works fine in the other PC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

1)Did you try a clean driver reinstall with DDU?

 

2)Can you plug that GPU into a different PC (min. 500W quality PSU)? If possbile also take your PSU for testing with you, just in case your GPU works fine in the other PC.

I used Geforce Experience and selected "clean installation"

 

I tried another GPU in my system and it worked, but I can't use it forever since it's my brother's.

6 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

Hope you can get your stuff to work for tonight's matches. Wouldn't be as fun w/o you :feelsbad:

I stole my brother's card so it's all good :^)

 

12 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

Check temps with gpuz log to text and some intensive 3D benchmark.

I honestly have no idea how to do that. Or anything computer related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Folterknecht So I tried playing CS:GO for like 5-10 minutes while checking the temperature and it didn't crash and stayed at 35-40 degrees. I went into a WoT battle and it instantly stopped working. Any clue what might be causing it to instantly crash for WoT and not CS:GO?

 

 

 

Also I bought a GTX 1060 because I need a GPU right now and cannot wait to try and fix my 980ti.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moin, nicht mal in Ruhe pennen kann man hier ... ;-)

 

I don't know your settings in each game, but my first guess would be (assuming both games run without Vsync) that WoT brings the card to or near full load, while you CS:GO runs into the CPU before that. But all that is irrelevant. Could also be a partially defective PSU (a lot less likely).

 

That's why I told you to put the card in an other PC! What you re doing there is wasting everyones time, yours included, considering that your brother also seems to have a PC nearby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Folterknecht said:

Moin, nicht mal in Ruhe pennen kann man hier ... ;-)

 

I don't know your settings in each game, but my first guess would be (assuming both games run without Vsync) that WoT brings the card to or near full load, while you CS:GO runs into the CPU before that. But all that is irrelevant. Could also be a partially defective PSU (a lot less likely).

 

That's why I told you to put the card in an other PC! What you re doing there is wasting everyones time, yours included, considering that your brother also seems to have a PC nearby.

His PC only has a 450 watt PSU.

 


I'll see if I can find someone with a good enough psu. Anyways thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

A few posts earlier you said your brother had a 450W PSU ...? That 550W Seasonic PSU can handle a 980Ti with ease ...

 

Sorry I'm retarded I just woke up. Thought you said my pc. brb.

This is the one he told me he has

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

But this is the one he actually has now that I checked for myself

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na

Going to go steal it and test it out. brb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...