Sign in to follow this  
Reppic27

New Laptop Recommendations (Replace MacBook Pro)

Hey guys,

I'm looking to replace my MacBook pro. Thing is about 4 years old almost and it is starting to age really poorly, so I need help/recommendations. I only use this laptop for browsing and video/netflix watching but it can play SC2 fairly well. I don't need a gaming laptop necessarily, just want something that can be compatible, speed and resolution wise. So an SSD is a must with a quick CPU. 

This thing's resolution is 2880 x 1800, I can't seem to find anything comparable though expect 4k laptops which I was told has very little added benefit. 

Appreciate your help fellas (and ladies!).

Can you find a 2yo macbook pro anywhere? It's probably the better option over the newer one if you want to stick with macOS.

Otherwise lenovo (yogas) and hp (spectre) ultrabooks are really nice as are surface books. I used my touchscreen quite often on my lenovo yoga for browsing and what not. Not entirely necessary but helpful. Not a dealmaker though. 

45 minutes ago, cavman276 said:

I recommend Asus, great laptops.  Acers are trash, Dells are good too.  What kind of price range?

If he's talking Macbook Pros, and not used ones, I'd venture to say budget isn't an issue. Let's just make sure he gets something worth the money.

Yes budgets aren't really an issue. Range would be 1200ish for a non-Mac. I honestly don't want to drop 2k on a laptop just for browsing...

Dells are good? I'm 0/2 on dell but this was 5 years ago. Has their customer service improved? BSoD out of the box, took Dell 3 weeks to get their shit together, didn't show up in their system.... "computer is so new sir you aren't in our system yet" 

Sure I do intend on selling it. @BlackAdder Specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Storage: 750GB SSD

26 minutes ago, Reppic27 said:

Sure I do intend on selling it. @BlackAdder Specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Storage: 750GB SSD

Please ping me with details in PM. I'm looking for older MBP with Intel graphics. 

8 hours ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

Can you find a 2yo macbook pro anywhere? It's probably the better option over the newer one if you want to stick with macOS.

Otherwise lenovo (yogas) and hp (spectre) ultrabooks are really nice as are surface books. I used my touchscreen quite often on my lenovo yoga for browsing and what not. Not entirely necessary but helpful. Not a dealmaker though. 

I thought about it for a while, but no. I'd like to buy new.

10 hours ago, KenadianCSJ said:

Take a look at the Dell XPS 13 maybe.

I'd recommend an XPS 15 with the non-QHD screen to save cost and battery life, or the QHD touchscreen for love and life.

Otherwise a Lenovo Yoga Wahtever is a great flexible choice, but not powerful.

You'll be replacing a $2k machine with a $1k machine and disappointed if you're doing it for performance, even if 4 years old.

5 hours ago, Reppic27 said:

Yes budgets aren't really an issue. Range would be 1200ish for a non-Mac. I honestly don't want to drop 2k on a laptop just for browsing...

Dells are good? I'm 0/2 on dell but this was 5 years ago. Has their customer service improved? BSoD out of the box, took Dell 3 weeks to get their shit together, didn't show up in their system.... "computer is so new sir you aren't in our system yet" 

I'm assuming you're looking for ultrabook/thin form factor? The Asus Zenbooks aren't bad either.