leggasiini

Type 5 Heavy ACTUAL appreciation thread

On 3/11/2017 at 2:55 PM, leggasiini said:

O-Ho.

O-I Exp is broken af but 1) doesnt derp 2) is too low tier

O-I is too inconstinent.

O-Ni is meh.

Type 4 is trash AND too expensive.

Type 5 is great but even more expensive, if i only had Type 5 i would run out of credits fast :P 

O-Ho derps, isnt trash (if u know how to play around with its depression), isnt too inconstinent and it doesnt eat credits, actually its by far most profitable non premium tier 8 by pretty huge margin (just look at vbaddict, when all other T8s loses on average few thousand O-Ho MAKES few thousand).

I have no issues going full HEAT in my E 100, so full gold+discounted onigiri (and 2 rep kits I suppose?) is OK, too. Doing enough strongholds in my Patriot anyway.

Playing medium tanks is actually getting way more expensive - shooting 330 HEAT feels ghetton by todays standards, and bringing down a single superheavy simply bankrupts you...since you bounce 50 % of gold shots...so you need 8-10 k credits to do 330-390 dmg in that kind of engagement...

My Maus with 2/3 of goldspam makes more money than my tier X meds...true story, bro.

I simply have issues with unreliable armor at O-Ho Ho (OK, it is reliable - I KNOW I am getting penned as soon as tier 8 tanks switch to gold or facing higher tier guns)...so hp trading, gun depression, etc is fine with me...picked a lot of neat tricks from  ho ho ho motherfuckers thread.

Full gold is what i ran. With good crew i recommend using two repair kits because of how fucking often not just ammorack but also gun gets damaged, and considering how damn durable the tank is you very likely *want* to have ability to repair again after repairing just the track at full health. Spall liner can be actually quite helpful to prevent crew deaths (so less need to worry about crew when you drop medkit), beat Type mirrors and lessen damage to some arties (batshit arty WILL do noticeably less damage with 4 shots, t92 is less notable).

For marking purposes Optics is obv way better option tho

As for O-Ho it generally focuses on firepower more than on armor compared to other Jap heavies. I think i have one of the lowest armor use effiency on my O-Ho compared to other Jap heavies.

4 hours ago, leggasiini said:

As for O-Ho it generally focuses on firepower more than on armor compared to other Jap heavies. I think i have one of the lowest armor use effiency on my O-Ho compared to other Jap heavies.

I thought o ni was worse armour wise tier for tier... but i guess "low" is still pretty damn good... I'm used to armour use efficiencies of less than .1 on most of my tanks, because half my battles are in turds scouts (wz131 and t37 are great, everything else not so much)

5 hours ago, leggasiini said:

Full gold is what i ran. With good crew i recommend using two repair kits because of how fucking often not just ammorack but also gun gets damaged, and considering how damn durable the tank is you very likely *want* to have ability to repair again after repairing just the track at full health. Spall liner can be actually quite helpful to prevent crew deaths (so less need to worry about crew when you drop medkit), beat Type mirrors and lessen damage to some arties (batshit arty WILL do noticeably less damage with 4 shots, t92 is less notable).

For marking purposes Optics is obv way better option tho

I got 1.35 armor efe...on O-Ho. I think ppl are shooting angled tits way too much.

That track link on O-Ho turret eats  E 100 gold shells quite often.

So, Type 5 Godzilla setup if I have understood correctly:

ramm, vstab, spall. No vents/optics (i run O- Ho with standard setup of vents+food, but O-Ho can not aim too much against more than half tanks it sees)

2 rep kits+food? I like optics more than spall...not sure it helps enough (I have Maus...), since HE dmg is not all that often when going city...but again, I run medkit in Maus.

Does it ever burn? Or type 4, too? O-Ni burned from time to time, O-Ho not at all.

I am thinking of dropping medkit for 2nd rep kit in O-Ho for ammo racks...but they are quite rare since i actively hide them.

9 hours ago, garryallen said:

I thought o ni was worse armour wise tier for tier... but i guess "low" is still pretty damn good... I'm used to armour use efficiencies of less than .1 on most of my tanks, because half my battles are in turds scouts (wz131 and t37 are great, everything else not so much)

O-Ni has bit better front armor than O-Ho but it has much shittier side armor aswell as cheek weakpoints so it literally cant sidescrape at all. It also trolls less high pen guns due to being literally a flat wall. In terms of protection, i would say they block pretty much equally tier-for-tier. O-Ni gets bonus on having better HP pool tier for tier so it might get one extra bounce just for that but overall armor is probably little better on O-Ho.

However, O-Ho's derp is much better gun than either of O-Nis gun which is why its imo much stronger tank.

14 hours ago, leggasiini said:

O-Ni has bit better front armor than O-Ho but it has much shittier side armor aswell as cheek weakpoints so it literally cant sidescrape at all. It also trolls less high pen guns due to being literally a flat wall. In terms of protection, i would say they block pretty much equally tier-for-tier. O-Ni gets bonus on having better HP pool tier for tier so it might get one extra bounce just for that but overall armor is probably little better on O-Ho.

However, O-Ho's derp is much better gun than either of O-Nis gun which is why its imo much stronger tank.

MAKE_O_NI_DERP_NOT_TRASH

So I finally got to the Type 5 heavy, was waiting for ages for a crew retraining sale to move the crew up from the Type 4, which I actually got really used to playing and was performing quite well in.

This thing is basically a better version of the Type 4, which is hilarious.

10 games, 2,900 dpg, 40% win rate (lol), and average damaged blocked of 3,400.

Literally play it like the Type 4 heavy, except the derp now has better handling and reloads faster, the frontal armour is even stronger, and you still have the same weaknesses to gold-spam and the fact that it is slow as **** and because of that sometimes you will simply lose because you can't get to where you need to be at the critical moments. You still need to angle properly lest many tier 9 and 10 tanks will pen you if you are flat-on, but it's all the same tricks as with the Type 4 so the adjustment isn't very difficult.

Fun to play - none of this weakpoint aiming nonsense (although people that argue there is no need to aim aren't really right, because you can get a lot more out of the gun if you do aim for parts where you know the armour is thinner), simple angling requirements to get use out of armour (hide the shoulder on a corner and poke out at 45-degrees or as close to it as possible and bait shots), and keep moving until you get to the brawl zone. And keep moving the moment you win the brawl zone.

I like it.

Playing Tier 9 heavies against the Type 4 basically is a matter of shoulder shots unless they over-angle.

Against the Type 5 it's go kill the other things first. This tank is more painful to play against than sky cancer because it shoots more often and can tank for its team. AND THAT FUCKING HP POOL RAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!111!!!

It's successfully prevented me from playing any of my stable of Tier 10s altogether by shitting up Tier 10 matches with its bullshit fantasy presence. No way in hell could Japan have rigged a 1200 HP engine to work reliably for it, their track techs sucked balls, the armour is a joke for "balance" and this WG invention grossly overstates their general tank engineering competence.

The thing moving faster than a pre-power-creep-buff T95 is an insult to the collective intelligence of the players (when that's insulted, you know it's STUPID beyond all measure). (To be fair though the T95 uphill speed could really have used a buff, ugh)

The actual sketches they based it off of could very well have been reasonably implemented to get rid of the hull shoulders such that it would have been a decent sidescraper with otherwise bleh armour, kind of like a Tier 10 KV-4, ugh.

I seriously think the in-game Type 4 armour thicknesses (except shoulder weakspots) would have made sense if put on the Type 5, with the Type 4 nerfed somewhat to compensate (e.g. keep shoulder weakspots and don't buff up the 14cm gun there). Or at the very least, remove the goddamned HallEllujah guns...

EDIT: Ye gods just checked the base gun stats. 249/282 base/sprem for 600 alpha seems... well, pretty damned tolerable to me with that base ROF of 3.51, but I guess that's my pre-power-creep mindset talking from back in the "20pdr Type B pewpew gun on Cent 7/1 is godly for laser gun handling and 2-or-more-for-1 trades" days where if you couldn't make 226 pen work on a mobile tank in Tier 10 matches, or 250 pen in a less mobile tank, you had a serious problem... I suspect a buff to the mid-250s base pen and a bit more for sprem could make the 14cm good enough to remove the BS derp? (Or add actual proper APHE mechanics where if it doesn't pen it still deals a few points of damage, and I mean few as in less than 1/10 the shell's normal)

14cm is a terrible gun, tho. It would need to be ultrabuffed in order to br even a remotely viable option to the derp. Thats just how strong the derp is, and cancerous as hell.

Remove the derp, buff pen to 255 / 295 and buff accuracy to 0.38 or buff gun handling. Done.

Armor layout needs an overall overhaul.

That the 14cm is not a viable choice is not a hint at how powerful the 15cm is. The 14cm's shittyness is solely down to how utterly garbage the handling, penetration and DPM of that gun is. Just look back to the days, when the O-I didn't have the shit that is the current nerfed 100mm gun. Using the derp was the lol-choice, not the only sane option.

The Type 5 has managed to do one good thing for me: Get me to quit trying to occasionally do a daily in arty once I've run out of dailies in everything else.

Yeah, yeah, I hate arty too (even fucking worse after the buff that was crew stun and paper alpha in exchange for actually hitting), but if I ever end up changing clans or something and need to bring one for CW, well :/

I drowned myself on purpose for the first time in arty at end of match today, because of watching the land cancer trundle around ignoring my Tier 9 French arty trying to stop him and my team's 10s all being so bad they were dead 5 minutes in. Everyone else tried and failed to stop him.

Meanwhile the Type 5 was clicking hull-down T34s for 400+ damage more often than I can scratch him for 100-something damage. (A Strv 103 that carried for their team--High Cal and Confed--and woulda got me otherwise PMed me to curse at me, but it wasn't like he had a medal on the line (would have let him get me if there was a medal involved, I do try to be sportsmanlike), so I told him where he could shove it (e.g. up the Type 5's ass).)

Never mind the fact that when I tried to hit other targets, I could see a T34 trundle into position, click on his rear deck, he aims, he fires, he backs up, and THEN my shell gets there on Swamp (opposing corners).

Man, fuck arty.

And fuck ARTY WITH SOMEWHAT STUPID-PROOF ARMOR, MORE ALPHA/PEN THAN NORMAL ARTY, VASTLY BETTER GUN HANDLING, OVER FIVE TIMES THE HP, ETC.

Oh wait, that's a long way to type "Type 5".

God I hate the Type 5.

EDIT: Forgot the obligatory "I await the crimson shower of downvotes" which comes whenever someone mentions playing arty. Or mentions being envious of land cancer.