lordawesome7

any difference between 252 skin and no skin version?

i know they are both priced the same

but they will still have 2 separate global stats cause WG logic and also because WG logic, a mod skin may work for 1 tank but not the other (not 100% sure about that)

so what is any major difference between the 2, im used to getting the no skin version but now i have a choice and aren't sure (really wish the special skin and non skin version's could be on the same tank, would be better for stats and for people's wallet, also this would open up avenues for more skins for vanilla users, but that would make too much sense)

2 hours ago, lordawesome7 said:

i know they are both priced the same

but they will still have 2 separate global stats cause WG logic and also because WG logic, a mod skin may work for 1 tank but not the other (not 100% sure about that)

so what is any major difference between the 2, im used to getting the no skin version but now i have a choice and aren't sure (really wish the special skin and non skin version's could be on the same tank, would be better for stats and for people's wallet, also this would open up avenues for more skins for vanilla users, but that would make too much sense)

Can uou check with ingame comparison? I would but they fucked up my DSL lines again...

Unkown0ne nailed it.

The defender has 0.86 worse concealment (stationary or moving) with just an 100% crew and the standard variant having camo paint applied. Interestingly though, with 100% concealment (the crew skill) the defender has 0.07 better concealment. Adding on BIA and Vents increase that gap to 0.15. Rations pushes it to 0.25. Note that without the concealment crew skill, BIA, Vents, and Rations all have zero impact on the tank's concealment.

This is because of the way camo paint is factored in: it only gives a flat 2.00 to concealment which is added after all of the other bonuses to concealment are calculated. As a result, the defender's higher base concealment is factored into to the percentage based bonuses to concealment from the concealment crew skill (further buffed by BIA, vents, and rations) which ultimately bumps it over the standard variant. That said, I'm not sure how many people are running full concealment skills on their Russian heavy crews, and without it, the defender has worse concealment.

All in all though, I would get whichever version you think looks better; the difference is so small as to be unimportant.

Actually I think the biggest difference is that the "Defender" version doesn't have mudflaps. If I had known that the unpainted version did, I would have gotten that one. Not having the mudflaps makes it really easy to see the hull that is above the tracks but below the side sponson (spaced armor) - and that is a weak spot for the tank. The mudflaps aren't part of the armor model, so you can shoot through them, but you can't see through them. It makes it harder for people to hit that weak side armor if you are over-angled by a little bit.

6 hours ago, Treeburst said:

Actually I think the biggest difference is that the "Defender" version doesn't have mudflaps. If I had known that the unpainted version did, I would have gotten that one. Not having the mudflaps makes it really easy to see the hull that is above the tracks but below the side sponson (spaced armor) - and that is a weak spot for the tank. The mudflaps aren't part of the armor model, so you can shoot through them, but you can't see through them. It makes it harder for people to hit that weak side armor if you are over-angled by a little bit.

This is the reason I got the regular version.  It made a big difference when I took on a Defender in my M48, I noticed my eyes were instantly drawn to the tracks and their angle.  Tarho also pointed this out to me beforehand.

On 26.2.2017 at 1:51 AM, Shifty_101st said:

This is the reason I got the regular version.  It made a big difference when I took on a Defender in my M48, I noticed my eyes were instantly drawn to the tracks and their angle.  Tarho also pointed this out to me beforehand.

This.

I mean which is more "inviting" target?

X43A7v6.png

f9ypfHf.png

With the non-camoed version it looks like the front armor extends below the mudflap. If I'd go with pure looks I'd get the camo version but this actually makes an difference (atleast for me).

Doesn't seem very different to me.  I certainly wouldn't choose between them based on this consideration.