Rspctd

Counter Meta, The New Meta

The more often I play as of recent, I realize I'm doing much more dumb "memey strats" (probably due to @SkittlesOfSteeI ) in relation to map meta and locations of play. For instance, I'll go 8/9 on Abbey in a med or fight the heavies on Stalingrad like an idiot. Disregarding the enemy team comp. in most of these instances, games usually turn out to be pretty well.

Anyone else find themselves doing this for the hell of it, or anyone have a counter-meta strat of their own they'd like to share? 

I'm noticing a lot more people, even good players, doing dumb shit like rush valley on Lakeville. Seems to work more than it should.

Sometimes I'll do that it adds some variety to the games which can just get stale after a while.

I like taking my superheavies and such pushing along the 2/3 line on himmelsderp. I normally have enough view range to see everything and there aren't all those annoying areas people hull down behind like trying to fight on the 8 line which is just terrible. Also seems to be a much weaker arty presence there and you can normally get some nice shots onto the hill. The tank alley normally is empty when you do this though so you usually have to turn around.

On redshire if we have a lot of heavies I'll go over to the hill area where the cap would be on encounter and move over to the east side if coming from the north and fight there. You can normally get quite a bit done there and then still have ample shots if the heavies push through on either side. Though sometimes you can wind up rather alone and then get yoloed. First time I did that in the maus (prevuff) I got swarmed by literally 8 tanks, mostly tier 8 and a couple 9s which would have been fine if the five people we had on the hill had decided to move even the slightest bit to try to get shots during the minute I was being swarmed before dying.

I think it has to do with people shifting to heavier tanks that are better able to use non-standard spots because of the armor/HP pool they have to work with, combined with the lower DPM forcing less pressure to always be in the best possible position for damage. Most of the nonstandard pushes on maps are very corridory, which makes heavies even better than meds at pushing effectively. 

(Though the fact you are doing this in meds is worrying)

13 minutes ago, KenadianCSJ said:

I'm noticing a lot more people, even good players, doing dumb shit like rush valley on Lakeville. Seems to work more than it should.

That is probably a response to being in really slow tanks and having the tendency to lose a lot of HP trying to get into the city. If I'm in a super heavy and there isn't a lot of enemy arty or on the south side big tds pushing the valley can be quite nice. Though I have noticed that once you've cleared out the valley your sort of unable to do anything at that point since you can't push across or even really sit I the cap effectively that you normally just have to turn around and hope they push back somewhere.

Maus scout driving down the center road can also do quite well though a lot of times it halts the enemy team but yours fails to effectively snipe them or push forward so it would probably work better in a platoon with the either two either putting out fire on your spots or pushing through the city

Ive found that a 2-3 heavy push down the field in Ensk has been working really well.  Just rr down the 7-9 line and watch arty drivers flee in terror.  Not recommended if opponent has 3 Grilles, but YMMV

37 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

Ive found that a 2-3 heavy push down the field in Ensk has been working really well.  Just rr down the 7-9 line and watch arty drivers flee in terror.  Not recommended if opponent has 3 Grilles, but YMMV

Driving down the spot between the rail cars and the long ass building also seems to work well on encounter in something very heavy.

On prokhorovka encounter in the south there is a building in the south east of the cap that you can shoot up onto the hill as pretty much just shut that whole bit down though you can have issues since the thing is just big enough to fit a maus that pretty much any movement forward or backward will get you shot from people sitting on the north corner hill or on the north track crossing.

Hulldown in the middle lf Himmelsdorf. 

'Nuff said. 

Also, if you get there early enough, you can also play the light tank proxy position in your heavy and farm. 

I normally just play the same no matter what tank im in.

IS-7 in the middle on redshire? why not? 

T30 up the Himmelsdorf hill? yolo

STB-1 on the 2 line in Pilsen? you know it

also I play my E5 with the strategy as if its a medium tank. so I go with the meds. because E5. 

36 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

I normally just play the same no matter what tank im in.

Also known as the 43%er strat. :)

Arty: sit at the back of the map...

Top tier heavy: sit at the back of the map...

Scout tank: sit at the back of the map...

1 minute ago, Hellvn said:

Also known as the 43%er strat. :)

Arty: sit at the back of the map...

Top tier heavy: sit at the back of the map...

Scout tank: sit at the back of the map...

well, in reality its not that simple. it depends on the team comp and such. And ill play the same area differently in different tanks

I can give one example of a "counter-meta strat": when I was platooning with MartinNL and we were both driving M103s on Erlenberg assault defense, I forgot we were on assault and rushed 1 line. We won that side afterwards...

2 hours ago, 1n_Soviet_Russia said:

Three TVPs or Bats going beach on overlord actually works decently, you just wipe it out and flex back and forth unexpectedly.

It actually works to great success. The idea is to make xvm focusing shitwads to flex for you only to find out that you're back on the main road now.

I also used to push bridge situationally before it became more popular on Mountain Pass.

I still need to fine tune my middle meta for erlenburg from the north though

8/9 has become my go-to for Abbey as well since I can abuse boosts. But i only go there if their team has arty or is more heavy

Saw a middle push on Karelia last night led by a Maus.

He drew in the shots, allowing the unseen lights nearby to spot the shooters and the TDs further back to wreck them.  

I have seen 3 man maus platoon. It's hard to stop them, cant really rely on arty 

1 hour ago, Fulcrous said:

I also used to push bridge situationally before it became more popular on Mountain Pass.

I've never really had success with that. When starting north a lot of times the south takes that perch and can get a lot of great shots on your side pretty much anytime trying to cross. From the south that problem isn't as bad though you do have the two layers of tanks and the arty is a lot more accurate at that distance and seem to take a lot of damage during the whole period of getting in close.

Saw 3 matches on Lakeville yesterday where successful teams pushed IS7, Maus & E100's center road; but, there was no arty

2 hours ago, Inciatus said:

I've never really had success with that. When starting north a lot of times the south takes that perch and can get a lot of great shots on your side pretty much anytime trying to cross. From the south that problem isn't as bad though you do have the two layers of tanks and the arty is a lot more accurate at that distance and seem to take a lot of damage during the whole period of getting in close.

situational my man

On 3/2/2017 at 9:13 AM, KenadianCSJ said:

Remember that you are usually playing against their base campers and a few other dummies that think it matters.

if you understand team comp (what td and arty deployment they have) and know how to avoid getting bogged down it is feasible because it is hard to assault base d from the city.  Remember roughly 40% of those gifts you will win regardless.

i took my oho north on arctic region; they had lots of heavies and I would be too slow late to get there, but we had td and arty support to punish them trying to get to cap.  I had almost no damage when I got to their base but ended up with TG and high caliber.   It's really hard to dig out a hull down tank on that hill near base; their heavies couldn't come back and just got eaten alive.