Sgt. Pepper

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Open World

Who knew Nintendo could revamp The Legend of Zelda? After the flop that was Skyward Sword (which I personally hated because the motion controls were iffy at best and made combat impossible at worst) they seemed to find a game that is essentially LoZ: Skyrim.

While I don't own the game, the bit I could play of it (4 hours, loads of fun) reminded me of Fallout 4 except much more playful. It felt like the world was actually open and not level gated by enemies that would deal unreal amounts of damage. Every death was avoidable and a learning experience, where it punished you by setting you back, but not enough be very detrimental. The motion controls were very workable (especially the bow, the bow felt easy to use) and even if you didn't want to use the motion controls, you could use the joystick and DPad for the miscellaneous Sheikah Tablet powers instead. In addition to the controls, the combat is ridiculously intricate so that every damage type (shock, frost, fire) is meaningful and some open world bosses have secret weaknesses. You also can trigger "flurry attacks" after a perfect dodge and use the physics in the open world to defeat enemies.

Overall, this is one of the funnest games I've ever played. It reminded me of Fallout 4 except without the forced settlement gimmick but with the exploration and puzzle solving of traditional LoZ games. I'm debating about either buying a Switch during the summer when I get time to work, sell my Wii and the games and buy a Wii U, or wait for CEMU emulator to finish development and just buy the copy of BotW for the Wii U and get the files off it.

Thoughts on the game? I'm iffy on the console (don't like the Joycons) but the game is AMAZING.

I've already told my boys a Switch is in their christmas future.  Hopefully by that time the game catalog will have expanded enough to make the Switch a viable platform with as long a shelf life as the Wii had.  I have not played the new Zelda, but I have watched it played and it does look very good.  Those colors though

1 hour ago, Archaic_One said:

I've already told my boys a Switch is in their christmas future.  Hopefully by that time the game catalog will have expanded enough to make the Switch a viable platform with as long a shelf life as the Wii had.  I have not played the new Zelda, but I have watched it played and it does look very good.  Those colors though

thats just cruel, telling them this early in the year. :feelsbad:

In Other News:

33isqrP.jpg

oYToVEJ.png

13 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

-snip-

I will say, the frame drops have been frequent. You'll get at least 1 frame drop per hour for 5 seconds, more depending on where you stand/how you long you stand in one spot in the world. I dunno about the LCD display w/ the dead pixels, but I haven't seen that on the Switches I've gotten my hands on.

2 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

Be aware, Nintendo has gotten ahold of the sweet allure of paid internet services. You/your kids won't be able to play online without a monthly fee akin to Xbox Live or Playstation's fee. Also, here is a link to the list of games Nintendo is offering on the switch right now if you're looking for a catalog.

Well shit, thats the reason we have an Xbox 360 instead of an XBox One.  I really hate the need for a persistent IP connection to play console games.  As for it being cruel to tell them early, they are teenagers and it was in the course of a conversation where the oldest one was considering buying it with his own life-guarding money.

38 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

Well shit, thats the reason we have an Xbox 360 instead of an XBox One.  I really hate the need for a persistent IP connection to play console games.  As for it being cruel to tell them early, they are teenagers and it was in the course of a conversation where the oldest one was considering buying it with his own life-guarding money.

Well, that's not to say you won't be able to play games period. From what I understand, you won't be able to play games online/use online functionality. You will still be able to play Breath of the Wild for the Switch offline, but I dunno if you can patch the game (they released a patch for the game yesterday already I think). Here is a link to their online service. It reminds me a lot of the way the Xbox service is, but only time will tell what happens whenever the "free trial" ends.

2 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

oh i thought your kids were younger or something, if there teens they can handle the wait.

as for the paid service, yeah it sucks that Nintendo is now joining that bandwagon too. but hey you could always buy them a budget gaming PC instead :bigdoge:

Also Watch this

Similar PS4 Pro video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6__TvBzAVj8

1 hour ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

oh i thought your kids were younger or something, if there teens they can handle the wait.

as for the paid service, yeah it sucks that Nintendo is now joining that bandwagon too. but hey you could always buy them a budget gaming PC instead :bigdoge:

Also Watch this

Similar PS4 Pro video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6__TvBzAVj8

thank god i didn't buy it at launch

this technical issues are beyond excusable, i will hold off on buying until the problems are steamed out and I can get a bundle/special edition (always worth the wait for those)

I don't really want this thread to be about the Switch (I haven't seen any of those problems while I've played, but that doesn't mean they don't exist) and just so you know, BotW is still available on the Wii U (which undoubtedly will go down in price) and another alternative is to wait 1-4 months for BotW to be playable on the CEMU Wii U emulator. Also, don't let that video put you off buying a Switch this Christmas. Wait a few months, and see if the issues are resolved (they will, I don't know any company that would let those issues pass by, except maybe the dead pixel issue).

Also, BotW thread. Not Switch thread.

I just finished the game. It took around 60-70 hours by my estimation, and there's still loads more to do. This game is everything I have ever wanted in a Zelda game, and that's not even an exaggeration.

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don't really want this thread to be about the Switch (I haven't seen any of those problems while I've played, but that doesn't mean they don't exist) and just so you know, BotW is still available on the Wii U (which undoubtedly will go down in price) and another alternative is to wait 1-4 months for BotW to be playable on the CEMU Wii U emulator. Also, don't let that video put you off buying a Switch this Christmas. Wait a few months, and see if the issues are resolved (they will, I don't know any company that would let those issues pass by, except maybe the dead pixel issue).

Also, BotW thread. Not Switch thread.

my point of showing that video and those pics wasnt' to discourage @Archaic_One or anyone else from buying a switch, but to encourage that people wait to buy one. i personally never pre-order any tech related items, especially consoles because there is to great a risk of bugs and defects. (look at the PS4 Pro video i linked above) hopefully by Christmas Nintendo will have released a "1.5" version of the switch with all the aforementioned issues resolved.

That video was hilarious. Especially those people who put the back of the Joycon on the wrong way around. Laff.

I don't think this game will be as memorable as something like Ocarina of Time. You can literally do almost anything in the game in any order, and I think that takes away a lot, for me. I like the mechanics and the world a lot, but some things just make no sense, like the shrines of trials. Why are there standalone self-contained puzzles like these scattered around the world? Why can't they be incorporated into some sort of larger structure like a dungeon, so that they would actually have a place in a Zelda game?