Sign in to follow this  
onlytoughonline

Random reboots

Title says it, kinda.  During gaming, and only gaming, my PC will randomly reboot.  No pattern to it, no specific game, time of day, etc.  Temps on all my hardware look fine.  I ran memtest86 for a few loops and came back with no errors.  My event viewer shows a Kernel-Power fault with an Event ID of 41, and a DistributedCOM fault with an Event ID of 10016.  I tried looking up solutions to these, but most of the advice was to change a few settings or edit my registry and it should fix it.  I did change a couple power setting, but I am VERY hesitant to do anything to my registry files for the DistributedCOM fault.  Any help at all would be amazing right now.  I can't game for 10 minutes without this damn thing shutting down.  

System Specs:

6700k @ 4.0, GTX 980ti, ASUS Z170-A mobo (latest BIOS installed), 16 gb corsair vengeance lpx.

Windows 10

Any other things you need to know, just ask.  I'll be happy to provide!

PSU model and brand?

Test the following (keeping an eye on temps):

1) Start Prime 95 (small FFTs 8 workers)

If that runs without crashing

2) Stop Prime 95 and start Furmark

3) start Furmark while running Prime 95

I also think it might be the PSU.

Funnily enough I used to have the exact same error code, Event ID41 and ever since I've replaced my "750W gaming no name brand" PSU with a quality PSU I did never encountered that problem anymore so it may be the PSU fault at the end of the day, but do what the other two wrote above.

17 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

PSU model and brand?

Test the following (keeping an eye on temps):

1) Start Prime 95 (small FFTs 8 workers)

2) Stop Prime 95 and start Furmark

3) start Furmark while running Prime 95

I also think it might be the PSU.

I ran all tests as requested.  No crashes.  Looking like the PSU.

3 hours ago, onlytoughonline said:

I ran all tests as requested.  No crashes.  Looking like the PSU.

Doesn't look like the PSU. Do you have a somewhat comparable GPU you could borrow for crosstesting?

Unfortunately not.  

46 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Doesn't look like the PSU. Do you have a somewhat comparable GPU you could borrow for crosstesting?

Wish I did, but unfortunately I don't.

I just browsed my topics posted and here is my reply back in 2k16, I don't even think it was the PSU fault at the end

tl:dr: I reseated all cables coming from the PSU itself and reseated the GPU as well, since then I had no crashes. If I remember now correctly my 24pin or 8pin connector wasn't all the way in or something alike and it caused random crashes, I have 0 idea if I got the new PSU already back then but ever since I had no such crashes anymore. Try this, can't hurt you at all and it's better to do that than buy new components which may be fine. :doge: 

i have a similar problem though i think the cause is entirely different... when im on battery, sometimes my laptop randomly turns off (not when im charging) so i think its the battery or some wiring...

though my windows doesn't boot on my laptop the first time quite a lot, so i may actually need to do something about either of those problems.