BiggieD61

Which WoWs Ship classes do you play the best?

About 1,000 games into my WoWs career I posted a statistical breakdown of which ship types I did well in versus the ones I was meh at.  My performance up to tier 5/6/7 was skewed heavily towards BB's - with cruisers second and DD's third. 

Surprisingly, my personal meta has switched - I am now much better at Cruisers - markedly so - than I am in BB's.  My overall win rate in cruisers is up to 57%, while BB's are only 53.4%  ( DD's are still sketchy for me @ 48.9% ),  Looking at my performance in both WTR and winrate shows strong performance from tier 7 through tier 10 - much better than my overall performance.  My first thought is that Cruisers tend to be harder to play for low skilled players - leading to easier WTR numbers.  In addition, playing fairly well in a cruiser makes that spot not so much of a throwaway for your team, and gives them a real advantage compared to the other teams cruisers. I have the Hindenberg and am grinding towards the Minotaur ( currently at the Fiji ).  The Belfast and the Kutuzov are two of my favorite ships to play, and they might be at the forefront of bringing cruisers back to the forefront along with the UK line from tier 6 going forward.

Do you guys find that you still play one ship line far better than the others, or is your skill uniform across the different classes?

Since the skill tree redesign I've done better overall in cruisers than other ship classes, stand outs being Mogami, Atago and Leander. Before the redesign I was best at DDs with Fubuki, Yugumo and Benson leading the pack.

if i take the top 5 most played of every type i do play (no CV's) then its DD's, CL followed by BB's

4 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Probably Battleships followed by cruisers. Battleships are kind of mind bending easy in all but the roughest carry.

and its only going to get easier post 6.3

I would check but the EU version of the stat website doesn't seem to be working?

I think most my battles are in Cruisers and I am very good and deal an above average amount of damage in them. That said, I've been taking the rape train to the station in the Bayern. 

Pretty even across the board.  Carriers are my least-played class with just under 400 games, and only up to the Taiho and Essex.  I own all the other tier 10s but Grozovoi.  My breakdowns are:

Winrate:

Destroyer (71) > Cruiser (70) > Carrier (70) > Battleship (67)

WTR:

Destroyer (1768) > Cruiser (1740) > Battleship (1603) > Carrier (1408).

Carrier is my weakest class.  I've gotten decent at killing destroyers, I can bomb big ships with the best of them, but my fighter management needs improvement and I don't kill as many planes as I should.  I think destroyers and battleships are my best ships.  I do well enough in cruisers, but I often get impatient in them and have stupid derp moments more often.  When I'm divisioned up, which is most of the time now unless I'm grinding something low tier, I tend to just fill whatever role is left open.

11 hours ago, Crossfader said:

if i take the top 5 most played of every type i do play (no CV's) then its DD's, CL followed by BB's

and its only going to get easier post 6.3

Nah, SF removal means very little at the end of the day because at the range you'd normally stealth fire you are going to be very hard to hit from Battleship gunnery. The only exception here are Chapayev and Mogami. Mogami is going to be utter trash tier after the patch. 

The biggest nerf is actually to firing over islands because your bloom values are going to be larger, making you easier to detect (although that's more of an edge case).

4 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Nah, SF removal means very little at the end of the day because at the range you'd normally stealth fire you are going to be very hard to hit from Battleship gunnery. The only exception here are Chapayev and Mogami. Mogami is going to be utter trash tier after the patch. 

The biggest nerf is actually to firing over islands because your bloom values are going to be larger, making you easier to detect (although that's more of an edge case).

its not to the ability to SF that bothers me that much, its that the DD/CL bloom is going to be much larger, which means you will be spotted more and longer, which inevitably will result in more damage taken.

19 minutes ago, Crossfader said:

its not to the ability to SF that bothers me that much, its that the DD/CL bloom is going to be much larger, which means you will be spotted more and longer, which inevitably will result in more damage taken.

There aren't that many situations where that's likely to hurt you unless you've botched your positioning up badly. The main one is when firing over islands, but since the stealth fire to max range window is relatively small in most cases (2km in most cases) your effective vulnerability surface doesn't increase by that much. It sucks and I'd prefer a different solution but I don't see it seriously damaging most ships' playstyles with perhaps two or three exceptions.

For its pretty easy Cruisers are my best class with BBs being second. I can play DDs but I don't really enjoy them and I've only played carriers once or twice during beta but since that never

I can't believe I wasted my time grinding the Shimakaze - it's like the object 268 in WoT ... pointless when all it's peers can do the same things as well and other things far better ...

Guess I need to focus on going from the Benson to the Fletcher/Gearing

Power ground to the Hipper, win rate tanked, etc. Realized I was making the same mistake in WoT (early on this time), fled back to the Koenigsberg with my 14 skill captain, and stick around tier 4/5 with American DD's and run my Koenigsberg as my go to boat at tier 5. WR/damage etc. are slowly drifting back up after tanking horribly with the Hipper.

TLDR; Koenigsberg.

3 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

I can't believe I wasted my time grinding the Shimakaze - it's like the object 268 in WoT ... pointless when all it's piers can do the same things as well and other things far better ...

Guess I need to focus on going from the Benson to the Fletcher/Gearing

Yeah I feel like I got the Shima just in time for it to be irrelevant to the current meta. Seems like if you want to torp boat these days, go American. ;) 

The shim is still viable.  Just don't take the 20k torp trap.  You've still got great concealment to take caps and spot and still have a wall o torps.  

As for me, I'm most comfortable in my BB's.  I play ships the same way as tanks....too aggressive most of the time.  200 secondary hits in my Bis or Grobe is fun.

13 minutes ago, map381 said:

The shim is still viable.  Just don't take the 20k torp trap.  You've still got great concealment to take caps and spot and still have a wall o torps.  

As for me, I'm most comfortable in my BB's.  I play ships the same way as tanks....too aggressive most of the time.  200 secondary hits in my Bis or Grobe is fun.

Grobe?

I run the 12km 67 knot torps in the Shim ... any longer range and your just firing hope to Jesus shots.

I have even considered the torp acceleration which would drop them down to 9 km but bump the speed to 72 knots.  More risky that way(inside BB secondary ranges and most radar ranges), but higher percentage  to score hits ...

8 hours ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

Power ground to the Hipper, win rate tanked, etc. Realized I was making the same mistake in WoT (early on this time), fled back to the Koenigsberg with my 14 skill captain, and stick around tier 4/5 with American DD's and run my Koenigsberg as my go to boat at tier 5. WR/damage etc. are slowly drifting back up after tanking horribly with the Hipper.

TLDR; Koenigsberg.

To be honest if you want to stay in a tier going for tier 4 or 7 will yield you a lot more comfortable games if you just want to chill and not grind further.

@Birkovic - why tier 7? Typical composition and skills of boats, and captains due to MM? I did get a Belfast, which can dish out some serious damage, but I seem to overextend, or not push out when needed. Hard boat to balance based on team actions. I have the Yorck, which I like as well as the Koenigsberg, but again, my WR suffers; however, I do more average damage (yet miserable as an average) than the Hipper or Belfast.

Had some good games this a.m. with Clemson, Nicholas, Farragut, and Koenigsberg . . . reluctant to venture up further, even though I like the Yorck as much as the Koengisberg.

@SmirkingGerbil to elaborate a bit, back in 2016 WG changed the MM, making tier 4 and below protected by introducing +/-1 MM for them. This resulted in tier 5 no longer seeing tier 3s, while still seeing tier 6s and 7s. Thus tier 5s more often get pulled into brackets above their own then other ships. Virtually no tier 5 is truely competetive versus the better tier 7s like the Scharnhorst mentioned above.

On the other hand a lot of players seem to report, that they are very often top tier, while playing tier 7s, and that a number of tier 7s are very powerfull ships (Scharn, Belfast, Fiji etc.). Not seeing tier 10s, avoiding the static tier 10 gameplay, while being able to making decent silver in the premiums further adds to the current popularity of the tier.

These are just my observations from forums, which reflect my own experiences. I'm sure that some of the more knowledgeable players will be able to expand further if needed.

12 minutes ago, map381 said:

I wonder what would fix the tier 10 standoff meta.  Being aggressive is so much harder because teams are literally just sailing around their spawns

Power projection is the issue. If you have excessive ranges and the accuracy or volume of fire to utilize said range, then people will use it to their advantage or what they percieve as their advantage. A good start to ending the camp-fest is homogenizing the max ranges over all cruiser- and battleship-calibers and finding a sensible (in relation to map-size) maximum range. Obviously, this mainly is targeted at battleships, as they are the anchor around which the whole fleet revolves, but also, paradoxically, the ships with the longest ranges

1 hour ago, map381 said:

I wonder what would fix the tier 10 standoff meta.  Being aggressive is so much harder because teams are literally just sailing around their spawns

High tier games are tough. Usually the team that gets it shit together for a decent push wins. Probably the two biggest factors driving the reluctance to be aggressive are the ability to engage at range coupled with high repair costs. So there is a perverse incentive to try and farm damage to break even or make a small profit as opposed to doing something risky and losing 70K credits for dying too soon. one of the ways WG could try to address this would be giving credit bonuses for things like spotting or kill assists. Things that help teams win should be incentivized so that even if the player dies he makes money for having a positive contribution.

(In general I think WG needs to look at their 'end game' model. What is the point of tier 10? What positive experience can you have at that tier that you can't have at lower tiers?)