thegeek2

0.6.3, More specifically, the death of stealth firing.

Missouri using radar is a great counter to smoke. Rush in with HE loaded and pop radar. Then one shot DD. 2 shots at most. Eating 1 or 2 Torps not a problem. It's staying power makes its radar very useful.

1 hour ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

I mean, it's a nice thought and all, but none of those are all that useful in practice. I've found the best counter for smoke are stealthy DDs since those are the only things capable of surviving the rush into it. Everything else is a minor annoyance most of the time.

Countering smoke might be an area that you need to practice since there are at least a half dozen people responding with practical advice. Personally I don't always make the correct play in a variety of different situations but one area I am very comfortable is dealing with ships hiding in smoke. It's definitely something I think you can learn even though it might bring you out of your comfort zone.

In mid tier the Atlanta is a very good DD hunter.  Stealthy enough to get close without the big boys hammering you with radar and the quick 5" guns to track and mow them down up close.  It can dodge torps well but has enough HP to finish them off if you happen to catch one.  Most DDs tend to panic and run when a wall of HE flame from the ATL is inbound.

23 hours ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

And rather useless at countering smoke. Radar is perfect for countering IJN DDs though.

You're telling me that 35 sec of everything within 10 km (or more like 12 km for Russkies) being spotted is useless? My Baltimore would beg to differ. With the exception of smoke and maybe heal, radar is the most powerful consumable in the game.

14 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Six ways to counter smoke:

1. Shoot torpedoes into it

2. Close using cover and use radar or hydro (Hindenburg and DM are kings of this).

3. Use the spotter plane to blind shoot the smoke. Even a single hit will usually result in the DD stopping firing to reposition. 

4. Rush the smoke. He has to leave or be spotted once the smoke ends and gunned down.

5. Go elsewhere and let him sit in smoke with no targets.

6. Kill his spotter.

If none of these are possible then either a) you've been outplayed or b) you fucked up. There are many ways to counter smoke play, we do it all the times in comp and pub. 

Method #1 is also, statistically speaking, the most common way that I get what I deserve when I am hiding in a smoke cloud.

15 hours ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

I mean, it's a nice thought and all, but none of those are all that useful in practice. I've found the best counter for smoke are stealthy DDs since those are the only things capable of surviving the rush into it. Everything else is a minor annoyance most of the time.

If a DD has smoked himself in a position where you can't torp him, can't close to radar or hydro him, is moving too much to blind shoot, has consistent spotting and can prevent you from escaping his fire then he has both out positioned you and his team are playing better than yours is. You're on WoTLabs, not the official forum. Learn to deal with it.

On 3/22/2017 at 8:31 PM, TouchFluffyTail said:

And rather useless at countering smoke. Radar is perfect for countering IJN DDs though.

Maybe play some tiers 9 and 10, where more ships get the 5.88km hydro and radar range continues to scale up.

I don't like the change much, primarily because it is such a hugely clumsy sledgehammer approach. And bizarre...BB's with higher detection ranges when on fire, than when actually firing their guns.

The worst is that a simple mechanics change would be far easier, achieve the desired "stop Zao/*insert lame stealth firing whomever* from sitting in the back spamming HE", while still not completely wrecking DD's.

Make ships visible when firing - not detected, but visible. Give that a 10s cooldown (vs 20s while in detection range) and blammo, SF fixed. Zao/Belfast/whatever parked broadside, just spewing HE. Wait for the cit hits...

Even using islands would be a little riskier - get a spotter plane up, and now you don't need to work as deciphering muzzle flashes. Now, could be tricky finding the right angle to drop shells down onto an Atlanta with catapults engaged, but at least it's feasible.

And maybe being able to see the Benson pew pewing a few HE shells for no damage in between torpedo runs will allow BB's to get back to their regularly scheduled torpedo bitchfest.  :P

On 3/23/2017 at 6:35 PM, Rodrigopine said:

This is the moment where driving the Atlanta becomes worthwhile. :) 

"Surprise!"

I prefer the moment, when after shredding a couple red DD's, their german BB charges at short range (it's always German...Bayern, Gneisenhorst, Tirpmarck...) and gets demolished by a volley of torps and 14 AP shell salvos every few seconds.

Actually, it's the salt filled rant a few seconds later that I really enjoy. :D

On 3/23/2017 at 11:58 AM, TouchFluffyTail said:

Hasn't played a single game at tier nine or ten... thinks he knows best methods of countering destroyers in smoke...

On 22/03/2017 at 2:12 PM, OnboardG1 said:

Sinking. IDK I found it such a boring, passive ship that I skipped it.

Thanks. I don't feel like paying WG for making the ship unpleasant to play, so I'll just let it gather dust for now.