9 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

LWB is a very solid player, not s superstar like Flamu. So her reviews reflect the results that an average to slightly above average player might get. The Hood I think will be a campaign reward, so I don't think we will have to pay for it.

Flamu is a CC not a ST... not sure about getting it for free in campaign, i think it might be just a camo.

Hood, good or bad, is going to sell and sell hard. They'd be insane to give it away. And they're greedy, not insane.

Everything thing I've seen puts it as a capable BB in tier. Could there be minor buffs? Sure. But I'm not certain Hood needs them. Because it's very easy (as Mesrith implies) to take a decent ship to OP.

My gut for an "easy" solution to give it the teeniest little bit more power, without adding much to its stand-off-and-shoot ability would be giving it 2x1 broadside torpedos. Occasionally useful, never defining.

But really it looks fine. (And fiiiiine).

I'm not going to comment on the rest, because it's hardly my area of expertise, but the oddball DF they're suggesting for the Hood is bananas. Both bananas good and bananas bad.

More AA dpm than a Des Moines using DF. But teeny tiny 1.5km range.

Novice question: Is the 1,5 km perimeter enough to disperse planes (normally in several squadrons) on attack runs, when a high tier carrier engages you?

I'd need to see the final stats but presumably the DP AA would panic the squadron while the inner ring would deal the damage. Also the new shell mechanics will have bad effects on DDs and Cruisers. Fucking stupid buffs. Buff the sigma and that's all it needed. No reason to turn every fucking new ship into an OP monster.

1 hour ago, OnboardG1 said:

Also the new shell mechanics will have bad effects on DDs and Cruisers. Fucking stupid buffs. Buff the sigma and that's all it needed. No reason to turn every fucking new ship into an OP monster.

Huh? What new shell mechanic?

6 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

Huh? What new shell mechanic?

IIRC they made the ricochet angle better or something like that. Something like the cruisers.

I guess they have to make sure Kaga isn't overpowered somehow

48 minutes ago, Shadowfury said:

IIRC they made the ricochet angle better or something like that. Something like the cruisers.

I guess they have to make sure Kaga isn't overpowered somehow

They also gave it a short fuse, so french and RN cruisers get whacked even more, since it's now almost impossible to overpen citadels.

Leak is bit confusing on DF part. As I understand it, DF panic effect and AA DPS bonus will be applied only to the 1.5km range rocket thing. In return, DF lasts 60 seconds and the rockets get 25x DPS.

Ricochet angle has been buffed and fuse delay has been shortened, which fits right with popular view that "battlecruisers are meant to be extra strong against cruisers and bit weak against proper BB peers." (not necessarily true in game context but whatever)

Words are that shortened fuse delay won't make the ship any stronger against DDs because shells need to hit thicker armor than DD armors in order to arm properly.

17 hours ago, CompanionCav said:

Words are that shortened fuse delay won't make the ship any stronger against DDs because shells need to hit thicker armor than DD armors in order to arm properly.

This is iChase being an idiot and using selective data and poor testing criteria. The danger is not necessarily that broadside DDs get wrecked harder by this (I don't really care about shooting a broadside DD with a Koenig, the ballistic characteristics alone invalidate the test), it's that the angles where overpens become pens shifts far enough towards 90 that the number of huge AP hits a DD will take becomes noticeably more pronounced.

1 hour ago, OnboardG1 said:

This is iChase being an idiot and using selective data and poor testing criteria. The danger is not necessarily that broadside DDs get wrecked harder by this (I don't really care about shooting a broadside DD with a Koenig, the ballistic characteristics alone invalidate the test), it's that the angles where overpens become pens shifts far enough towards 90 that the number of huge AP hits a DD will take becomes noticeably more pronounced.

The question is if the game calculate the armor plate LOS thickness at impact for fusing purposes even when the shell "ignores" the armor due to overmatching.

My understanding so far was that shells have hardcap on travel time post-penetration regardless of fuse setting and that this is the main reason whenever DDs suffer normal pen from BB shells; penetrating shells travel lengthwise and shells' hardcap lifetime runs out before exiting the ship, resulting in normal pen.

20 hours ago, CompanionCav said:

The question is if the game calculate the armor plate LOS thickness at impact for fusing purposes even when the shell "ignores" the armor due to overmatching.

My understanding so far was that shells have hardcap on travel time post-penetration regardless of fuse setting and that this is the main reason whenever DDs suffer normal pen from BB shells; penetrating shells travel lengthwise and shells' hardcap lifetime runs out before exiting the ship, resulting in normal pen.

Effective armor counts for AP fusing purposes and is 1/6 of gun caliber; the shell must fuse or it will exit the ship causing over-pens as per Sub_Octavian 9/27/2016.  

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/96327-dev-qa-about-the-game/page__pid__2395993#entry2395993

Typically the DD suffers normal pen from BB when the DD is sailing toward or away from the BB. During such an engagement the profile of the DD armor is such that the BB shell will overmatch and fuse on the highly angled ~19mm plate (assume gearing) that's effectively >=77mm (~460mm/6, assuming Yamato) at >=76deg, fuse and travel down the length of the ship and detonate within the ship.

I would conjectured that a shorter fuse timer would only make a difference on edge cases in terms of BB-AP shells hitting a DD. Most of the time if you were normal penning the DD in a normal BB, you'd still normal pen it in the Hood and vice versa. To put this into perspective, if the Hood had a normal shell fusing time of 0.033ms, it would detonate after traveling <25 meters. Given that on something like a Fletcher with a beam of 18.6 meters, the shell will stop in the ship if it's at ~45 degrees. 

There's quite a difference in the performance against battleship-guns between the german and (to some extend) the russian DDs, compared to the US and IJN-DDs. You will feel this reduced fuse-time and it will really hurt.

3 hours ago, ncc81701 said:

Effective armor counts for AP fusing purposes and is 1/6 of gun caliber; the shell must fuse or it will exit the ship causing over-pens as per Sub_Octavian 9/27/2016.  

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/96327-dev-qa-about-the-game/page__pid__2395993#entry2395993

Typically the DD suffers normal pen from BB when the DD is sailing toward or away from the BB. During such an engagement the profile of the DD armor is such that the BB shell will overmatch and fuse on the highly angled ~19mm plate (assume gearing) that's effectively >=77mm (~460mm/6, assuming Yamato) at >=76deg, fuse and travel down the length of the ship and detonate within the ship.

I would conjectured that a shorter fuse timer would only make a difference on edge cases in terms of BB-AP shells hitting a DD. Most of the time if you were normal penning the DD in a normal BB, you'd still normal pen it in the Hood and vice versa. To put this into perspective, if the Hood had a normal shell fusing time of 0.033ms, it would detonate after traveling <25 meters. Given that on something like a Fletcher with a beam of 18.6 meters, the shell will stop in the ship if it's at ~45 degrees. 

Thanks for the info and source, I stand corrected.

This means that for Hood's 381mm AP to properly fuse, it needs the target armor to have 63.5mm of LOS thickness at minimum.

Targets with 19mm platings (T8/9 DDs) trigger the fuse at about 17 degrees from centerline.

Targets with 25mm platings (common to various heavy cruisers and T7 BB) at about 23 degrees from centerline.

For DDs, at such an angle they become vulnerable to normal pens from all manner of BB AP anyway because shells can travel lengthwise. However, Hood can deal normal pen more frequently because the shells can now hit relatively closer to target DD's bow or stern and not overpen.

Same story with cruisers. But I think the effect will be more felt because cruisers often angle at about 20~30 deg between their salvos.

14 hours ago, CompanionCav said:

. But I think the effect will be more felt because cruisers often angle at about 20~30 deg between their salvos.

Cruisers needed that nerf, far to powerful between tier 5-8 :kjugh: (belfast not included)

Warspite and Hood seem to have had the same guns in reality, does that mean the proposed buffs to Hood's AP mechanics will also affect Warspite's guns in WoWS? No idea how WG handles these things in this game.

7 hours ago, _Goliard said:

Warspite and Hood seem to have had the same guns in reality, does that mean the proposed buffs to Hood's AP mechanics will also affect Warspite's guns in WoWS? No idea how WG handles these things in this game.

In reality all of the 15" gunned battleships and battlecruisers of the Queen Elizabeth (5 ships @ 8 guns each), Revenge (5 ships @ 8 guns each), Renown (2 ships @ 6 guns each), Hood (1 ship @ 8 guns), and Vanguard (1 ship @ 8 guns but only completed after WW2) classes used the same model of gun and ammunition. During the inter-war years the Royal Navy maintained an inventory of around 150 barrels for the 15" ships so that they could be quickly replaced whenever a gun wore out its rifled liner which was only good for a few hundred rounds. At any given time during that era around 100 of the barrels were on the ships and the remaining 50 or so were either having worn liners rammed out and replaced or they were sitting in storage for their next turn on one of the ships.

I remember that in-game Hood uses values for a worn-out barrel (lower velocity) and different AP shell than the one used by Warspite, resulting in a bit lower pen power.

I think with bad pen and excellent ricochet angle, it might be better to forgo citadel shots and just aim for freeboards on certain hard targets.