Tankthief

New arty system deadlier than ever?

This is kind of a Stockholm syndrome moment here. "Hey, at least it's a beating with a belt instead of a stick!" It's an improvement but it still has no place in the game, it will still troll you constantly, just in different ways and (at least) less overall. I'm glad they're doing it, but it still should just go away entirely.

The RoF, accuracy, aim time, and splash are all increased. Currently you just play through arty and hope it never gets a good hit on you, and favor positions where arty has no good shot. After the changes once an arty wants your dick he's going to be on you over and over and over and over and over hitting you virtually every time and limiting what you can do. Direct kills from arty will drop, but if you thought XVM focus was bad wait until they rarely miss and can hit you behind rocks. One shot wonders will be replaced by getting chased by XVM fishers repeatedly stunning you since utilizing cover will be less effective.

Thus far they aren't even changing the tier 5 French premium either, or every one's favorite roach, the FV304. Which means tier 5-7 will barely even change.

For the record, I only played one game in a my tier 9 RU arty. Easy. As. Shit. To hit now. I made THREE hits on light tanks on the move, plus a Patton, annihilated a TD who sat for all of 8 seconds (hard hit and then he was stunned and died). The bloom is NOTHING like it used to be, I was taking shots while turning my hull. You cannot miss a heavy with this new arty if you have a decent shot, you just can't. Top damage as a tier 9 in a tier 10 game in one try, although my team being usual test server mongoloids helped in that aspect.

Stats for that game for those measuring the impact, I fired 12 times, direct hit 3, 7 total damaging hits. 2700 damage for 7 hits is 385 damage on an average hit. Typical stun seemed to be 15-20 seconds. Tracked at least 5 enemies (remember that's in addition to a stun so you need to blow your reapir kit AND medkit to get moving again). One tier 10 light got to 3 of us clicker scum in the corner, he got off two shots before we wrecked him. Once he's tracked and stunned the other arties can get him and you just need to hit close to him to do it. Broke one engine, which was the only other critical hit in 7 hits which suggests crits are indeed lowered. Lost a lot of credits firing non-gold ammo, which is weird. With food it was -24kish, 14k of that was repairs for losing. Interesting that the cost will be higher.

Bloom stat comparison: old move was 0.34, turret was 0.6. New is 0.24 and 0.42. Absolutely massive. That's in addition to 5.2 aim and 0.75 accuracy vs. the old 7.5 and 0.84.

Also worth noting, it's way more fun to play like this. I don't expect people to stop playing it, I expect the exact opposite.

5 minutes ago, DHP said:

Can arty kill a crew member still or only stunned now ? 

Arty can still kill crew members. I had a crew member die on the test server, however you can just as easily heal him back into existence. I can't remember if it completely consumed the medkit though.

I would prefer NO arty as this game has no need for a non-retalible gun system.  Like @Jesse_the_Scout said, it's like stockholm syndrome.  Instead of getting beaten with a sledgehammer we're now getting hit with a baseball bat.  Still an annoying mechanic that IMO does nothing to improve the game.

2 hours ago, ProxyCentauri said:

With these new clicker mechanics I suppose the clicker missions also have to be reworked..?

yup:

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/04/02/wot-new-spg-missions/

I'm okay with the current test arty minus two things: stun duration is still absurdly long and inevitable xvm focus from multiple arty.

The former is made worse by the latter. Beyond that, it is workable and artillery actually feels like the support class it is intended to be.

And there's easy solutions to the above:limit arty to 2 per side and stun duration max of 8-10s.

de·sen·si·tize
dēˈsensəˌtīz/
verb
past tense: desensitized; past participle: desensitized
  1. make less sensitive.
    "creams:gachi: to desensitize the skin at the site of the injection"
    • make (someone) less likely to feel shock or distress at scenes of cruelty, violence, or suffering by overexposure to such images.
      "people who view such movies become desensitized to violence"
    • free (someone) from a phobia or neurosis by gradually exposing the person to the thing that is feared:cspider::trump:.

The new arty does nothing against camping TD's and next to nothing against heavies and super heavies.

They've just retuned the arty to better match its current role of shutting down mobile tanks that try to play the map.

Highway west flank is a death trap with 3 arty a side, and on the test server it is still a death trap. When you get splashed by an arty you have to burn your med and repair, but that still isn't enough to dodge following rounds from other arty. Once you've lost your 400 - 800 HP you have to go dark for 60 - 90 seconds before you can even risk being spotted again or you will have all 3 arty focus you out.

At least in arties current form I can take a risk and poke every 20 seconds or so. I either get splashed for 700 occasionally, or they one shot me I can go play another tank. At least I can do something to mitigate the chances of getting hit.

With the test server changes they are asking you to sign up for a 15 minute battle where you only get to shoot once every 90 seconds and take a near guaranteed 300 damage splash every time.

21 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

I can't believe with the option of arty removal on the table, these kinds of replys exist. Its still an asymmetrical non retaliable damage source with orbital view, removal of the most egregious parts doesn't validate the rest.

The problem is that apart from @HeartMiner and A_UselessReptile there aren't many arty players whom I'm scared of (i.e. possessing both skill and target prioritisation). There are however heaps of arty players, and if you refund their line XP and credits you'll find they're suddenly playing all the other low skill floor tanks in the game, namely the JPE100 and FV215b 183. I'd rather get hit by arty now and again and stunned than get blapped for 1150hp by a 17cm or 183mm AP round or 2k from a lucky high roll.

On 4/3/2017 at 3:29 AM, Jesse_the_Scout said:

You cannot miss a heavy with this new arty if you have a decent shot, you just can't. Top damage as a tier 9 in a tier 10 game in one try, although my team being usual test server mongoloids helped in that aspect.

You forget that the live server arty players are more stupid than you. They *easily can and will miss*.

Also, mongoloid is highly offensive. Either you're calling people from East/SE Asia and North American Arctic regions dumb because of genetic features usually peculiar to that region, or you're comparing these people with people with Downs' Syndrome (Trisomy 21), or you're just using a outdated and offensive word for people with Downs' Syndrome. I've got 2 friends with Down's Syndrome who play tanks, and they're both in top 10 clans according to the last 2 campaigns. If you want to call people shit, just call them morons/shit/tomato's, whatever.....I'm not even a major fan of calling people  shitters because I've got a spinal cord injury and it's only luck that I don't shit myself, but someone as comparatively bad as me still shits on plenty of pubbies.

The correlation isn't between mental or physical illness and being bad at tanks. It's between not caring about playing well and not getting better. When I lost the use of my hands for the first time, I played tanks til I got back to purple. And the second time, I went from black recents to purple. Now I'm struggling with recents because I need another 3 operations, or I'd be happily hitting 5k sessions every day, instead of just when I take a med that gives me Parkinsons' Disease symptoms (which don't go away).

TL:DR Remember that a lot of us are actually 'Downers, Cripples, Spastics and Autists', and we don't announce it through our play. Target your abuse to those who are actually the targets please.

2 hours ago, FurryLionBalls said:

snap

Woah, calm down, man. No need to take this off-topic.

In any case, arty is really fucking annoying. It splashes lights 10m away and getting stunned for 15-20 secs w/ no damage, and if they decide to focus you it's bye-bye fun. splashed for 200-400 and stunned, burn a kit, then get splashed and stunned again. And I'm pretty sure arty reloads faster than 90 secs.

5 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

But I can avoid jpe and 183 fire...and return damage...

I agree, but there's often an idiot red in a place that it hurts my brain to find them in when I'm playing at 3am. While on one hand I should just count tanks before I shoot tanks, OTOH counting to less than fifteen is hard.

4 hours ago, ZXrage said:

Woah, calm down, man. No need to take this off-topic.

As far as I'm concerned Jesse did that when he called people he doesn't know mongoloids. If he did that in game 5 times and got reported, he'd be permabanned. And as we're all here, we could try for a bit of decency and respect toward one another. Especially when we ban people like @Gasai__Yuno and @Gasai_Yuno for the same lack of respect for others - unless we say it's okay as long as it isn't directed at us?

Edit: I also appreciate @Jesse_the_Scout's posts mostly and know that they'll generally come with useful content but explicit language. However I didn't call him or others out the last couple of times mongoloid/downer/retard/autist got used, which just legitimises their use and passively condones it. And I'm sick of that shit, so I'm gonna call it out, and if it gets me warned or banned this won't be a place I'll stay. I'd rather have my morals than forum access.

38 minutes ago, FurryLionBalls said:

snibbedy snab

I'm going off-topic here which I don't like, but I want to address your response.

I throw about insults at people, and call them dumb and demeaning names. Sometimes, I may call them an autist or mongoloid. Do I really mean them? No, not really, insults stem from a certain emotion, which is rage. I don't really mean to call them those things, It's a spur-of-the-moment thing that comes from them playing like shit in a pixel tank game. I bear no ill will against disabled people, but it is something I've picked up. Is it right? Admittedly no, but insulting others isn't exactly good either.

I think along the lines of what a certain YT named idubbbz said on using insults that are too far. "Either they're all okay, or none of them are." Anonymity brings about a certain kind of aggressiveness in people because of the lack of retaliation. This makes people call each other dumb names they wouldn't dare to say in real life.

TL;DR: Just drop it, he could have said something else but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter.

Back on subject @Fulcrous, wouldn't you say for Stun to be a meaningful mechanic it has to last longer than the reload time of the FV215b 183, Shitbarm and Jagdpanzer E100, and especially longer than the Pz VII/VK7201/E100/IS-4/IS-7/Type 5? If you're stunned between reloads and it affects literally nothing by the time you've finished reloading, what's the point in the mechanic?

And for myself, while the repair kits and consumable changes are a good way to deal with the new mechanic, I feel they're a backwards step in the game as there's far less management of modules and repairing your tracks is almost meaningless in the wider scheme of things, while healing crew and then reusing the bandages and diamorphine+adrenalin you'd think such a kit to contain to heal the next crew member - how does that remotely work conceptually? I know it's not a historical tank game, but physics and getting rid of faux-paper tanks like the WTF-E100 were positive moves toward realism, as were the new engine and gun sounds, but this is an arcade-esque pandering to those of lowest skill imo, and somewhat barrel-scraping in terms of mechanics.

Meh. I see people dropping arty completely in live servers, because most of them were M53/55 AP slinging arse holes, and most will cry over loosing their precious RNG slot machine bullshit damage.

56 minutes ago, FreddBoy said:

Meh. I see people dropping arty completely in live servers, because most of them were M53/55 AP slinging arse holes, and most will cry over loosing their precious RNG slot machine bullshit damage.

And others of us will be HEAT44 assholes who finish our missions

2a775768ce4de1ce3d221eb58eafbd82.png

and get our 260

0ae49e2c524c0d73e83e0513b22da675.png

and do the thing we've wanted to do since girl crews became a thing:

b54ece22137831d55ef499d2cf9e434c.jpg