WG is currently searching for Testers for their new game Mode Frontlines

You’ve been asking us to inject new life into gameplay with larger teams, bigger maps, and new combat setups for a while now. We’ve been working on a mode like this for a while now, and today, we are thrilled to finally reveal it to you. It’s called Frontline and is making its way into the Sandbox test server on April 10, inviting you to test large-scale combat with a set of new mechanics, objectives, and more.

APPLY 

Frontline is going to be 30v30, with five-man-strong Platoons, all fighting in Tier X vehicles (medium/heavy tanks, TDs and arty) and Tier VIII light tanks. The latter is a temporary restriction caused by the technical nuances of testing. Eventually, the mode will switch to Tier X vehicles of all classes. And there’s no way on earth you could fit them all on a 1 km2 map. So, we’re introducing 9 km2 battlegrounds, divided into nine sectors, with one side playing in attack and the other in defense. Each stage unfolds on a certain territory. In attack, you are fighting for control over it. In defense, you’re tasked with preventing enemies from capturing it.

This is just a quick sneak peek of the new mode. We’re saving a few tidbits for the big announcement on the Sandbox Blog. Head over there to read up on Frontline gameplay mechanics, victory conditions, and more when the test begins on April 10:

To make this mode happen without hampering the work on the game’s core elements, we teamed up with Austrian game developers Bongfish. The instant chemistry between our devs and the guys from Bongfish flourished into a remarkable partnership. They worked on Frontline under our guidance, while our in-house development team focused on fine-tuning game balance, revising the matchmaker, fixing SPG gameplay, and evolving the game’s graphics.

http://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/sandbox_frontline/

Pretty sure Frontlines are this "Epic Battles" we had a leak some days ago

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/04/05/new-game-mode-epic-battles/

F4vQTRh3TKo.jpg+

The developers already mentioned that the removed “Domination” mode will be reworked, and in the second-to-last Q&A, testing of large maps was mentioned. Today, a new mode in World of Tanks was leaked, which is being tested internally. This mode is supposed to be first released on the Sandbox. The mode resembles the one from WoT:Blitz and Battlefield 1. Current name – “Epic Battles”. The release should be this year.

This new mode will include attack and defense. On the map, there are 5 main capture points. During attack, you have to capture 3 of the 5 points to achieve victory. During defense, you’ll have to defend at least 3 out of 5. As in “Domination”, there will be repair zones with a 2min cooldown. To unlock these zones, the closest capture point has to be under your control.

There are also respawn points, you can choose any point after your death.

Well they are testing it on SB which is good. I mean if things are not good we can always tell them and they seem to listen more now. I see a positive step and i am very interested in playing this mode. I expect to see problems and this will be hard to apply in lower tiers but sure it sounds promising.

At least they are TRYING.

I always thought it was weird that EA can get 64 players in tanks, ships, helis, and jets on one server, but WG can only do 30 tanks on maps where only small structures are destructible. And shells that aren't from clickers can only hit things up to 720m. 

30v30 is going to be a shitfest. It'd be nice if they upscaled VR and draw distance/shell range for these big maps. 

Well as abysmally horrible as frontline seems, atleast its not on a map like ghost town or something stupid where its literally just a clusterfuck 24/7 and a potential lack of arty strikes would make the mode a bit less retarded compared to WOT T22 Rigging Edition.

howgod, instead of 1 vs 29, it will be 1 vs 59...

I wonder how WG is gonna keep it attractive / interesting, the only way would imo be grind missions, not RNG shit missions like for T22, but grind: get 100k exp, win 100 games and other things, that way way less frustration + no chance of rigging...

These kind of maps would be golden in CW if most clans had enough number of people to play. It would be really fun to play with a strategy. If they are smart they could make the esl base on this rather than 7 vs 7 Mauses driving at 20. It would be a fucking war. 

5 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

3x3km maps, imagine this in Maus :D 

Yeah that's the problem with bigger maps. Lights might get useful but Maus is basically press rrr and go make some coffee

41 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

Yeah that's the problem with bigger maps. Lights might get useful but Maus is basically press rrr and go make some coffee

And other sub 35 tanks. And most of them are on flat slow - meds and LTs... But this may create some more opportunities for LTs and MTs.... 

1 hour ago, BlackAdder said:

And other sub 35 tanks. And most of them are on flat slow - meds and LTs... But this may create some more opportunities for LTs and MTs.... 

I think 30kph kinda works. I don't feel the pain of a slow tank as much in stuff like E100 but Maus feels like shit. I think that's mostly because of the speed difference though. It's a really annoying tank overall.

Were larger teams something people really asked for?  If anything I'd think it would be easier to make the current maps feel bigger by making the teams smaller. (not that I wouldn't also enjoy larger maps)

Instead of creating a new mode to split the player pool I'd rather they change pubs to have team size be based on map size, and allow tanks to have different equipment loadouts that can be chosen during the countdown so you can choose based on the map you've ended up in.  I'd suggest being able to pick tanks as well, but that would just devolve into all Maus battles on any city map, so probably wouldn't work.

19 hours ago, Kramburglar said:

Were larger teams something people really asked for?  If anything I'd think it would be easier to make the current maps feel bigger by making the teams smaller. (not that I wouldn't also enjoy larger maps)

Instead of creating a new mode to split the player pool I'd rather they change pubs to have team size be based on map size, and allow tanks to have different equipment loadouts that can be chosen during the countdown so you can choose based on the map you've ended up in.  I'd suggest being able to pick tanks as well, but that would just devolve into all Maus battles on any city map, so probably wouldn't work.

I know even some people on Wotlabs were asking for them 1+ years ago to "make scouts more viable". The problem is the more viable the scouts are the shittier the superheavies are. 

On 07/04/2017 at 6:05 PM, Tupinambis said:

Tier x only is boring.

Is it supposed to stay tier 10 only, or is that simply for preliminary testing? I'd love to play this at mid tiers, say 4-7 (with a 1 tier spread MM if possible). Fix the outliers at these levels and maybe adjust earnings so people are willing to stay if they end up as bottom tier in a game.

8 hours ago, hazzgar said:

I know even some people on Wotlabs were asking for them 1+ years ago to "make scouts more viable". The problem is the more viable the scouts are the shittier the superheavies are. 

Larger maps make scouts more viable.  Larger teams just mean more tank saturation in a given area, increasing the chance there will be a medium with competitive view range around, as well as ensuring any light that does get spotted has so many guns aiming at it that it'll be toast.

A 1km map with 7v7 tanks feels a lot more open than the same map with 15v15, and scouting would be much more important, as it'd be a lot harder to cover every avenue of approach.

9 hours ago, Kramburglar said:

Larger maps make scouts more viable.  Larger teams just mean more tank saturation in a given area, increasing the chance there will be a medium with competitive view range around, as well as ensuring any light that does get spotted has so many guns aiming at it that it'll be toast.

A 1km map with 7v7 tanks feels a lot more open than the same map with 15v15, and scouting would be much more important, as it'd be a lot harder to cover every avenue of approach.

Have in mind new maps will be MUCH MUCH larger. That will mean a smaller chance of a 80% + of the team going one way. Also unless they corridor the shit out of them you should not be able to come from predictable places so you should be safe

How does this compare to AWs latest gamemode? I played it a while back and it was okay-to-fun, but it had consumables and bots. Not sure the same thing would work in wot because everything in AW went 60+ so larger map was not an issue. I have access to SB so I'll give it a shot but considering the average IQ of random battles I dont think this is going to end well...