I don't know a whole lot about building computers but I did build a computer a couple years ago. It ended up dying from water damage though so now I need to build another PC. I'm not looking for anything special, I don't really care what it looks like I'm more concerned about the performance. I'd like to be able to run most newer games at around max settings, if that's possible with my budget? I would mostly just use the the computer for tanks and maybe a few other modern games that look solid. My budget is probably 1200$ Canadian but it seems like I might be a little bit over that. I have a monitor that is 1920 X 1080 that I plan on using for awhile. I put together a few items that seemed to be pretty solid, Wasn't 100 percent sold on the motherboard or gpu. Not exactly sure what I am looking for with those items so any help is appreciate

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Edit by Folterklnecht to highlight some information for the visually impaired ;-)

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/F0lterknecht/saved/sbZK8d

While I find the Ryzen R5 or R7 CPUs very interesting and would build systems around those CPUs myself for other people, I won't be recommending them to "PC noobs". The platform still has to mature for that to happen. If you are the adventurous type though - go ahead!

@Folterknecht's list is solid. If you dont want AMD you can go with a 1060 with the 1080p resolution and be solid for for a couple years with most/all modern titles. Since you're probably not going to OC as well, getting a non 'k' version of a CPU is great/fine for what you're looking for

2 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

@Folterknecht's list is solid. If you dont want AMD you can go with a 1060 with the 1080p resolution and be solid for for a couple years with most/all modern titles. Since you're probably not going to OC as well, getting a non 'k' version of a CPU is great/fine for what you're looking for

I doubt that I will be OC since I don't even know how to do OC. My original list did have "K" version CPU since I thought it might get me a little longer usage? I'm guessing it is a good idea to stay away from the overclocking though unless you know what you are doing?

3 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

While I find the Ryzen R5 or R7 CPUs very interesting and would build systems around those CPUs myself for other people, I won't be recommending them to "PC noobs". The platform still has to mature for that to happen. If you are the adventurous type though - go ahead!

Great list, thanks! Just had a few questions, I'm not very familiar with the gigabyte gpu/motherboards, I'm guessing they must be pretty solid if you suggested them but is there much difference in the brands? I just always thought Gigabyte stuff was a bit lower quality but that's just because I hadn't heard of them before. I saw in another thread that you recommended the Power color Rx 480 Graphics card, is it still a solid card ? Or would you recommend the one you linked over it?

I will probably stay away from the Ryzen, I'm not that adventurous when it comes to money, maybe if I knew a little more about computer parts.  Sorry for all the questions, like I said I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to this stuff.

28 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

Shaved a few dollars off of Folter's build because Canadian prices suck.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FJkLnn

Forgot to add that I have a 1 tb Western digital hard drive already so that could go towards something else and I would be willing to spend 1300$ if it would get me a significant boost in performance? Canadian prices do suck.. I knew going into this though.

11 minutes ago, Mr_Snuggles said:

Forgot to add that I have a 1 tb Western digital hard drive already so that could go towards something else and I would be willing to spend 1300$ if it would get me a significant boost in performance? Canadian prices do suck.. I knew going into this though.

remove the HDD and add a 1070 to that build and it'll be just over 1300: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zjqsgL

9 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

remove the HDD and add a 1070 to that build and it'll be just over 1300: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zjqsgL

Well since $1200 is his limit, I'd probably just remove the HDD.
You forget about tax in Canada. That would be ~$1500 and not $1300.

So just removing the HDD makes it $1214 with tax.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6fD39W

7 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

Well since $1200 is his limit, I'd probably just remove the HDD.
You forget about tax in Canada. That would be ~$1500 and not $1300.

So just removing the HDD makes it $1214 with tax.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6fD39W

what do you mean tax? you mean that pcpartpicker price isn't the actual price it will cost?

18 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

what do you mean tax? you mean that pcpartpicker price isn't the actual price it will cost?

It doesn't usually include sales tax or shipping so I was kinda keeping that in mind. My full budget I was hoping to spend was 1500$ with taxes and shipping . I can probably get free shipping on most of things though.

5 minutes ago, Mr_Snuggles said:

It doesn't usually include sales tax or shipping so I was kinda keeping that in mind. My full budget I was hoping to spend was 1500$ with taxes and shipping . I can probably get free shipping on most of things though.

Weird, down here the sales tax is included in the price. As for shipping, yeah i forgot about that. I always go instore to buy my stuff, so I dont do shipping and shipping costs. 

59 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

I don't see much of a point going for a 1070 unless his monitor is some sort of 144hz panel. 1060/480 should hit 60fps on just about every game out there at 1080p.

futureproofing

Ok, I updated my part list and went µATX case/board and added a tube of thermal paste and 2 fans (PWM/4pin as case fans). One fan for the front and one to replace the cheap original one in the back. These additional fans can be controlled via the motherboard BIOS or in windows via Speedfan.

A few words regarding the suggestions and question popping up here.

1 - GPU) I can't find a price for the RX480 Red Devil in Canada via Partpicker, therefor I went with the 2nd best card when it comes to thermal/noise I'm aware of. The MSI Armor and ASUS Dual designs often are cheap junk when it comes to the cooling solution and that is the reason you very rarely find reviews of them on reputable sites like TPU, HARDOCP, Toms and so on. A lawn mower belongs in the shed not under/on your desk. If Mr. Snuggles is willing to tweak the fan profile manually the ASUS R480 STRIX is also a good option.

2 -RAM) Fulcrous suggested two single sticks of 8GB from Team Group that would save 5 bucks. I don't know Team Groups customer support / RMA / warrenty, what I know is that Corsair usually works pretty good. Furthermore with a Dual Kit (2x8 GB) from corsair you can be sure that these sticks come from the same batch and avoid potential issues with compatibility (happens rarely with Intel nowdays). 5$ arn't worth it imo.

3 - PSU) Someone I think Fulcrous suggested a "Seasonic M" PSU that would save 5-10$ - nothing wrong with that per se. Thing is you should know the version you get for this PSU - the older ones only have 1x 6Pin + 1x 8pin cables for the GPU which is outdated and leads to troubles down the road, if he wants to use a card with two 8pin connectors. Also the G-Series is is Gold rated compared to Bronze on the older M/S PSUs. I couldn't find out which version of the M series you 'd get within a few clicks (lazy I know) ...

Not worth the small savings in my book.

4 - GTX1060/1070) The 1060 6GB has the same performance atm as the 480 8GB, though I expect the 480 8GB to be slightly in front ~2 years down the road, with a considerable lead in games with DX12, Vulkan and OpenCL. Furthermore there are already extreme edge cases where 8GB VRAM shows some advantages over 6GB. How that develops in the future remains to be seen.

The 1070 would be nice, but over budget by a considerable amount. Before I 'd go that route, I 'd first switch the 250GB MX200 to the 500GB model.

5) Fuck CA pricing and component availability - it's nearly as bad as AU/NZ.

7 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Ok, I updated my part list and went µATX case/board and added a tube of thermal paste and 2 fans (PWM/4pin as case fans). One fan for the front and one to replace the cheap original one in the back. These additional fans can be controlled via the motherboard BIOS or in windows via Speedfan.

A few words regarding the suggestions and question popping up here.

1 - GPU) I can't find a price for the RX480 Red Devil in Canada via Partpicker, therefor I went with the 2nd best card when it comes to thermal/noise I'm aware of. The MSI Armor and ASUS Dual designs often are cheap junk when it comes to the cooling solution and that is the reason you very rarely find reviews of them on reputable sites like TPU, HARDOCP, Toms and so on. A lawn mower belongs in the shed not under/on your desk. If Mr. Snuggles is willing to tweak the fan profile manually the ASUS R480 STRIX is also a good option.

2 -RAM) Fulcrous suggested two single sticks of 8GB from Team Group that would save 5 bucks. I don't know Team Groups customer support / RMA / warrenty, what I know is that Corsair usually works pretty good. Furthermore with a Dual Kit (2x8 GB) from corsair you can be sure that these sticks come from the same batch and avoid potential issues with compatibility (happens rarely with Intel nowdays). 5$ arn't worth it imo.

3 - PSU) Someone I think Fulcrous suggested a "Seasonic M" PSU that would save 5-10$ - nothing wrong with that per se. Thing is you should know the version you get for this PSU - the older ones only have 1x 6Pin + 1x 8pin cables for the GPU which is outdated and leads to troubles down the road, if he wants to use a card with two 8pin connectors. Also the G-Series is is Gold rated compared to Bronze on the older M/S PSUs. I couldn't find out which version of the M series you 'd get within a few clicks (lazy I know) ...

Not worth the small savings in my book.

4 - GTX1060/1070) The 1060 6GB has the same performance atm as the 480 8GB, though I expect the 480 8GB to be slightly in front ~2 years down the road, with a considerable lead in games with DX12, Vulkan and OpenCL. Furthermore there are already extreme edge cases where 8GB VRAM shows some advantages over 6GB. How that develops in the future remains to be seen.

The 1070 would be nice, but over budget by a considerable amount. Before I 'd go that route, I 'd first switch the 250GB MX200 to the 500GB model.

5) Fuck CA pricing and component availability - it's nearly as bad as AU/NZ.

I agree about the RAM and PSU, I think I should just spend the bit extra and be happy knowing I got quality parts! I don't think I will spend the money on the 1070 either, I don't plan on upgrading my monitor anytime soon. So it would be a waste kinda. I had one more question, why did you choose micro parts? I thought they we're for if you had space restrictions? I agree, Fuck CA prices! I'm always so jealous when I see US builds.

Is this the Red Devil GPU?

https://www.amazon.ca/PowerColor-480-AXRX-8GBD5-3DH-OC/dp/B01JGQBSV8/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01JGQBSV8&pd_rd_r=MRSZAHY6SWPHJN120CZ0&pd_rd_w=UwNex&pd_rd_wg=FuJu5&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=YS7QCHZZVZE8GDX1DV0M&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=b06971ce-9992-44c1-9ee0-eb9792e71b5e&pf_rd_i=desktop

29 minutes ago, Mr_Snuggles said:

I agree about the RAM and PSU, I think I should just spend the bit extra and be happy knowing I got quality parts! I don't think I will spend the money on the 1070 either, I don't plan on upgrading my monitor anytime soon. So it would be a waste kinda. I had one more question, why did you choose micro parts? I thought they we're for if you had space restrictions? I agree, Fuck CA prices! I'm always so jealous when I see US builds.

Is this the Red Devil GPU?

https://www.amazon.ca/PowerColor-480-AXRX-8GBD5-3DH-OC/dp/B01JGQBSV8/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01JGQBSV8&pd_rd_r=MRSZAHY6SWPHJN120CZ0&pd_rd_w=UwNex&pd_rd_wg=FuJu5&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=YS7QCHZZVZE8GDX1DV0M&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=b06971ce-9992-44c1-9ee0-eb9792e71b5e&pf_rd_i=desktop

Yeah that 's the Red Devil

----

WHy not µATX - takes away less space, without becoming so small that it becomes a pain to work with. And the µATX motherboard I selected even has slightly better features than the ATX from the previous list. Furthermore you don't strike me as the user who needs a bigger case for SLI/CF, watercooling or similar things.

8 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Future proofing at 1080p panel? A 1060 will last as long as a 1070 in this situation. If and only if he goes to a 1440p soon would I recommend a 1070 right now

Considering that a 1060 is significantly outperformed by a 1070 and is about the same performance as a 970, it won't be lasting long.

The 970 is starting to struggle to get good frame rates on high/ultra for modern games.

Well, thanks everyone who helped, I'm gonna go with the last build folkerkneckt recommended. I might end up switching the GPU to the Red Devil and the case to something else but haven't decided yet.