FlorbFnarb

Let's talk mice/mouses/meese

I'mma go with meese.

My mouse (7 year old wireless Microsoft thingy that I picked up on a FOB in Iraq in 2007) has done well by me since then, but just yesterday it started freezing on me.  Changed the batteries, no improvement.  Moved the USB dongle from a rear port to a front port just in case it was starting to get a weaker signal, no improvement.  Switched to a mouse we had lying around unopened that's even older, it works but is "mushy"; it drags the pointer sometimes, but never freezes.  So, I tried the Microsoft mouse again today, and if anything it's worse than yesterday; it freezes five or more seconds at a time, and sometimes it will unfreeze for less than a second then freeze again.

So with both meese screwing with me, I'm thinking it's time to buy a new mouse.

Tips?  Any suggestions for a mouse?  Anybody see any real reason to buy a wired mouse rather than another wireless mouse?  I want something that moves very fluidly and precisely, fits my hand well (right handed) and has some weight to it; I don't cotton to featherweight meese.

Oh, and a good scroll wheel too.

I don't recommend wireless mouses, they may act wierd or have a delay at random moments. 

The mouse I and many other players that I know use the Logitech G502 (I meant G502, search it up sry) - $50 https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA4RE38P6974?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile-_-pla-_-Gaming+Mice-_-9SIA4RE38P6974&gclid=CKj_85P-l9MCFc-2wAodB8EB6A&gclsrc=aw.ds

It is wired, has 8 buttons tactically placed for a sleek design that can be programable. Not only that but it has lights :O and weights that can be removed or added onto the bottom of the mouse for personal preference. Plus DPI options 

good to know, I need a new mouse too. My current one isn't sensitive enough and I cannot make slight movements with my aiming reticle so trying to shoot weakspots/hatches is a bitch.

Most gaming mice have more or less the same features. Get anything logitech, steelseries, zowie, or razer and just prioritize comfort.

I personally use a Logitech G502, and have nothing bad to say about it. It's on the more expensive side, but with a year and a half of daily use it has remained very comfortable and functional. It's on the larger size, and even though I have big hands I still use a relaxed palm grip for it.

Do you want a proper gaming mouse, or just a regular one?

Wireless mice for games are generally undesireable because of input lag+signal drops, but there are some good ones out there (though probably expensive) 

Other than that, what I normally go by for peripherals is: If I dont know what Im buying or what is good quality or not, buy Logitech. With logitech you can always garuntee that you will get a good quality product, it might not be the best, but its a "safe" option to buy IMO. 

Anyway, I have 2 mice: a Roccat Kone Pure for my Desktop, which is extremely comfortable and an absolutely great mouse. And a Logitech G403. Which is almost as comfortable and IIRC has the best optical sensor on the market atm.(*Citation needed)

Granted mileage may vary for comfort. Often the best way is to go into a shop with mice on display, try them all out. Hold them, play around with them to see which feels most comfortable to you, because its different for every person based on their grip style. 

Also, I wouldnt touch anything made by razor with a 10 meter pole. Cheap junk.

I want a decent gaming mouse, but I'm having a hard time accepting spending $50 on one.  I don't even need a zillion buttons - I never programmed the buttons on the one I have - but I do want something that is sensitive and precise, is durable, fits in my hand well, and has at least moderate weight.

I'll look at the Logitechs.

Just now, 1m9j9s3 said:

I stopped using wireless mouses a while ago and currently using E-BLUE Cobra mouse 

http://www.e-blue.jp/2011/individual product/cobra.html 

Best mouse I have ever used so far and it cheap

Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

33 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

I want a decent gaming mouse, but I'm having a hard time accepting spending $50 on one.  I don't even need a zillion buttons - I never programmed the buttons on the one I have - but I do want something that is sensitive and precise, is durable, fits in my hand well, and has at least moderate weight.

I'll look at the Logitechs.

G403 calls to you in that case, though it looks to be way out of your price range.  

However its simple, comfortable, has great sensor accuracy, and it comes with a weight if you want to make it heavier. 

Its like $70 on newegg though. (Which is more than I bought mine for in NZ, wtf, i bought mine for $60 NZ and that is like $100+ NZ, heck it retails here for $80NZ).

It's really about trying out the mice before you buy it, and unless you play a lot of FPS, the sensors are usually good enough. I am not a fan of "gaming" mice with million DPI, fancy LED's and print. The ones I can recommend are Logitech and Zowie. Good quality, good sensors, majority of their products fit my hand very well but should be ergonomical generally for everybody.

Lower budget ones - I've had 2 A4Tech mice, both were pretty good and cheap. First one died when we were moving, second one still works. Look for older optical ones though, their newer ones are pretty bad from what I've read.

Apart from that, the ones I don't have personal experience but heard decent things about - Roccat/Steelseries/Asus/Corsair/Gigabyte/Zalman - however all of them are up and down, i.e. they make one or two good models, rest of them are mediocre to bad.

Logitechs Gxx2 mice are very narrow. I got a 502 as a replacement for a defective MX ... ended up repairing the MX and sold the 502. Look for a brick and mortar shop to test different models.

Whatever you do, DO NOT get a Logitech G700S. I have this mouse and although the sensitivity, etc are fine it has the following super annoying issues:

• Extra buttons just don't work in most games, even with the Logitech software supposedly making them work
  • Extra buttons are horribly shaped and don't press nicely
  • Wireless dongle is shit and misbehaves
  • Wired connection is also shit and misbehaves sometimes

AVOID

I've been using a G900 in wireless mode and can't tell the difference between it and a wired G502. G900 is really pricey, but nothing beats a wireless mouse with wired performance. Even in CSGO, I've been getting some crisp clean locks so I definitely recommend. 

17 minutes ago, Vindi said:

I use a razer deathadder and can recommend.

Same. Though, it's also 50$ according to Amazon and might be outside of OP's price range

In that case, I'd recommend checking out the Steelseries Rival series (Rival 100 and Rival 300). They're similar to the Razer mice from what I've seen, and slightly cheaper

I use a g502. It feels a bit small to me and I'm a pre pubescent shota. It comfortable, but not perfect. The button placement is very nice. I use them for media controls. Scroll wheel is metal and has an unlocked mode that I use a lot. 

I had a g700s. It was more comfortable to hold but the button placement wasn't as good

1. no wireless mice

2. nothing you don't want. Remember, you will likely use only 1 mouse whenever you use your PC (unless you want to plug in a different one depending on the game). It needs to be comfortable.

I use a Zowie FK1. I like the 5 button arrangement because it's minimal (I play a lot of FPS games, less MMOs, so I need less binds and better focus) it also is lightweight and (I'm right handed so it hardly matters) provides for both left handed and right handed gamers. It also has adjustable DPI if you want it (I use the lowest setting because of how I play TF2).

Honestly never use a wireless mouse for gaming because it adds quite a bit of response time(? lag?) iirc

Logitech/SteelSeries is probably the cheaper and more durable option, and are mostly good too.

Razer ones are usually expensive compared to their counterparts and break easily if you are heavyhanded/careless, similar for Asus ROG(good as well but breaks after constant 1-2year use) BUT deathadder is pretty k from what i heard, just have to be v. careful with any Razer merch tbh

My deathadder has served me well for 5 years or so now, It's a bit on the lighter side, and feels a bit cheap, but it performs well, and I like that it doesn't have an overwhelming amount of buttons. 

Looking at a g502 right now at Best Buy, $60.  Think I might go with that.

There's a g900 here too, and it oooks nice, but $150 is way out of my range for a mouse.  They have a few Razers here, plus a few Corsairs and a Steelseries, but the g502 seems nice.