So a while ago an ex clanmember of mine during some SH used the derp gun on his Jumbo obtaining very good dmg session and having fun games. I was surprised by the carry potential that gun had, but I felt that the Jumbo was too slow to abuse the potential of the 105 fully. Looking at tankgg i discovered that the E8 too had the derp gun while keeping the same crazy soft stats of the 76 mm. A 410 alpha at tier 6 with that platform seemed amazing to me.

This made me want to get the tank and see if my intuition was right and after 100 games these are my results:

e8.PNG

I started with a 75% crew, stock tank (free exped only half of the second engine), but it felt very good. When i finally got to the tracks and top turret the tank felt amazing and fun to play.

e81.PNGe82.PNG

The loadout is random, no particular reason on it, I find the ammunition plenty even with 6,9 sec reload (not enough hp around). The equipment is the classical for any medium so nothing special.

The tank works very well even at higher tier. Why? Well the pen on the 76mm is bad both gold and silver, and at tier 8 you will not pen much unless you flank. Sure the dpm is nice but the alpha is poor.

Now with the 105 I simply poke shoot and retreat for 150-170 dmg OR I can track with ease any thing you cant do with the 76. Also the gold pen on the 105 is sufficient to go trough most sides or rears of tier 8s, and if cant pen them just blast them with HE and run away. And if I frontally engage a Defender? Hit him for 1xx dmg and i retreat and keep annoying him or run to another position. 

But there is more to it. You all know that the HE pen is low but it can pen so many things like Swedish/German tds, tier 4s ecc that will boost you dpg very high. Furthermore the 76 is very bad at sniping, and while the 105 has worse dispersion, since it works with HE it just needs to hit to do dmg, track ecc. 

I find it to be a good and FUN tank to play. I am sure that anyone can obtain way higher stats than me ( I played solo 99% of the games), so give it a try.

This^

I played the Jumbo over the E8 because I thought armor was more important, especially since the Jumbo isn't slow anyways. My biggest problem was the gun choices. I ran the 76 for a long time before realizing that the derp gun was better. It reminds me of playing the Pz. IV, but with consistent armor. The DPM is insane, and the armor bounces everything from lower tiers and shields against a couple of higher tier tonks. 

As far as shooting same tier tanks, anything that isn't a heavy gets penned by HEAT, and the paper mediums get raped with HE. If you find a fellow Jumbo, you spot him for arty/TDs and track him. If you aim at flat armor or weakspots, you'll also pen every heavy except the VK3601, Churchills, and OI. In those cases, let them either bounce a shot (VK3601/Churchills), then flank and shoot, or let the OI derp his shot, then flank. 

Honestly, the only thing I fear in the Jumbo is TDs and other high pen guns. Even then, if you can hide your side armor, you can angle your frontal hull to over 70 degrees, bouncing everything. 

Last reason for playing the Jumbo over the E8: which one wins a Juan v Juan?

I am sorry but i am not sure if you got it right. I played the E8 over the Jumbo with the derp gun. So if your question is, why you should play the E8 over the Jumbo is because you have a tad slower t49 with great gun handling, and you can compansate the lower pen by flanking or/going to easier pennable flanks aka the medium one.

I played the Jumbo over the E8 because it's got insane armor, which I think has a bigger effect compared to a slight improvement in gun handling and mobility. I've never played the E8, but I have a Cromwell and a T-34-85. If I could have a Cromwell with twice as much armor that was slower, I'd take it. Maybe there's something cool about the E8 that I don't know about, but in battles I shit on E8s all day and question life while shooting at Jumbos. 

Is there any situation in which an E8 performs better than a Jumbo?

5 hours ago, canadiantrex said:

I'm so confused...

Why?

4 hours ago, datboi said:

I played the Jumbo over the E8 because it's got insane armor, which I think has a bigger effect compared to a slight improvement in gun handling and mobility. I've never played the E8, but I have a Cromwell and a T-34-85. If I could have a Cromwell with twice as much armor that was slower, I'd take it. Maybe there's something cool about the E8 that I don't know about, but in battles I shit on E8s all day and question life while shooting at Jumbos. 

Is there any situation in which an E8 performs better than a Jumbo?

I would not be sure because i never played the jumbo but i d believe that you have a better chance to abuse the gun since you can flank better due to the higher mobility. This means that 110 of heat pen becomes more reliable and you can HE pen tanks much more easily. 

Have you ever played a t49 before? It is similar to it. 

1 minute ago, canadiantrex said:

Hydrocodone, head injury, recovering from a concussion.

Just drive a Super Pershing.

Ooookkk I hope you get better. But naaa i dont have the money for it and plus no 105 derp gun like the E8. Running around and derping people for stupid high amount of dmg is too fun.

Well at my level of skill, additional armor is great thing.  

At Siegfried line (on defence) I was able to eat type 59 with HE (a lot of HE) and bounce all of his shells. It was fun!

Two cons of jumbo are:

1) if you are using stock turret (and you should) you are not able to mount top 76 so you are "forced" to play with derp one

2) view range is lower a bit again with a stock turret

Just my thoughts;)

E8 >>> E2

105mm derp gun is fine for clubbing in a tier V, but its pretty meh at tier 6.  Mobility is king and Jumbo armor only works against lower tier tanks.  Both tanks have been power creeped by the cromwells, VK, and 34-85 clones.

1 hour ago, Archaic_One said:

E8 >>> E2

105mm derp gun is fine for clubbing in a tier V, but its pretty meh at tier 6.  Mobility is king and Jumbo armor only works against lower tier tanks.  Both tanks have been power creeped by the cromwells, VK, and 34-85 clones.

Ah you can pen a lot of of stuff even crommies ect. The point is that it is fun. 

I can't think of a single tank at tier 6/7/8 that has more than 100 mm on the sides except for kv4/5. Unless something's happened very recently, I have no trouble flexing and flanking with the Jumbo as it's normally faster than fast heavies, despite having better armor. I always bait shots on my UFP at over 70 degrees of angle, and pubbies take the shots. :minidoge: 

Im under the impression that the E8 is like 10-20% faster than the Jumbo. Am I wrong? Cause going 50% faster might be worth having paper armor (*cough* Crommie *cough*)

Armor is not paper i does bounce stuff often. You cant rely on it hut i works. And the turret is still good, not like the stock one but it is good. The poin is it is way faster than the jumbo and you can use the derp better. Just try it.

17 hours ago, datboi said:

I can't think of a single tank at tier 6/7/8 that has more than 100 mm on the sides except for kv4/5. Unless something's happened very recently, I have no trouble flexing and flanking with the Jumbo as it's normally faster than fast heavies, despite having better armor. I always bait shots on my UFP at over 70 degrees of angle, and pubbies take the shots. :minidoge: 

Im under the impression that the E8 is like 10-20% faster than the Jumbo. Am I wrong? Cause going 50% faster might be worth having paper armor (*cough* Crommie *cough*)

It is 50 % faster. Crommie still beats the shit out of it.

You can circle enemy meds in a Crommie, and not just the Panther. Crommie>E8>E2

And derp belongs to tier 4, on tier 5 it is a weapon of last resort (because M1A1 sucks if on M4, but is great on T67)

Doing 80 dmg every 7.5 sec to same tier heavies is laughable...when you do not miss.

1 hour ago, Felicius said:

And derp belongs to tier 4, on tier 5 it is a weapon of last resort (because M1A1 sucks if on M4, but is great on T67)

Doing 80 dmg every 7.5 sec to same tier heavies is laughable...when you do not miss.

Really? I've never had an E8. Maybe I should get one now, but every time I play next to one it doesn't seem fast 

And for tier 5, both the derp and the 76 are amazing, but the derp rewards close range and the 76 rewards medium to long range. The 76 has insane dpm, pen, etc. for a tier 5 medium.

As far as the derp at tier 6, 100 pen HEAT is pretty good for the fronts of most same tier heavies, definitely for the sides of higher tiers. The only problem is shell cost, and I have too many premiums for that to be a problem. 

Even then, it's not super amazing, and I have yet to try the same thing with a t-34-85 derp with 140 pen. However, with American gun choices, I'd say the derp is better than the 76. 

Of course, just about everything is overshadowed by the crommie b as far as I'm concerned. Despite the armor, I have a single steel wall in my achievements for it. 

13 minutes ago, datboi said:

Really? I've never had an E8. Maybe I should get one now, but every time I play next to one it doesn't seem fast 

And for tier 5, both the derp and the 76 are amazing, but the derp rewards close range and the 76 rewards medium to long range. The 76 has insane dpm, pen, etc. for a tier 5 medium.

As far as the derp at tier 6, 100 pen HEAT is pretty good for the fronts of most same tier heavies, definitely for the sides of higher tiers. The only problem is shell cost, and I have too many premiums for that to be a problem. 

Even then, it's not super amazing, and I have yet to try the same thing with a t-34-85 derp with 140 pen. However, with American gun choices, I'd say the derp is better than the 76. 

Of course, just about everything is overshadowed by the crommie b as far as I'm concerned. Despite the armor, I have a single steel wall in my achievements for it. 

What are you smoking? 76 has the worst dpm on a tier 5 med, it is as bad as some tier 3s. Not a viable gun in the fast paced meta. Not a sniper.

0.43 dispersion and crappy soft stats??? 4 seconds reload? even medium range hurts every time you miss. t-34 will kill you close range since it can trade 3 for one shots. With derp, you can kill it close range (at least).

it is horrible. derp is the way to go on M4. 

On E8 you get better soft stats on 76 mm, 2.5 sec reload compared to 4 sec, and early access to vstab.

also, not sure what heavy you are gonna pen with 100 mm heat frontally. not even M6 is that weak. side shots are fine...until tracks eat the HEAT.

you gotta check up some facts, mate. or post replays.

Oops, might have been smoking when I said anything about dpm. Thought it was higher tho...

And M4 is definitely ok if you're shooting at range with the 76. Especially on hilly maps, you can abuse your gun depression. Watch a T-34 try to pen an M4 turret at 200-300 meters. Besides, if you're trying to engage a T-34 at close range you're doing it wrong.

M6 has ~80 mm frontally if you don't hit the turret or lower armor. And it's flat. Same with all the Russians. 100 pen does nothing to the front of all the slower heavies, but then you just flank them. 

As a disclaimer, it has been a while since I played the M4. I know the map meta has changed, and there are probably a lot less engagements in which the 76 is better than the derp nowadays. 

This conversation is just making me depressed about American meds. 

14 hours ago, Felicius said:

Felicious there are many tanks that you can pen with the derp at tier6 with both the HE and HEAT. Frontally even a KV85 is weak to the HEAT so you can imagine what you can do to other tanks.

Plus the mobility allows the tank to take those shots better. The 105 gun has the same handling of the 76 mm gun on the E8. 

I played the E8 with the 76mm, never tried the howitzer. Definitely not the best tier VI med but far from unworkable. DPM is good, turret will get bounces, and although its top speed ain't great the acceleration and agility are nice (can still circle heavies easily). Low gold pen is a weakness but at least you get great gun handling and vstab.

I can see the 105mm definitely being workable on the E8 though, if the gun handling really is as good as people above are saying, the agility and depression would make ridgeline derping feasible. At tier VI only the T-150 and O-I can reliably bounce the HEAT I believe, and regardless the HE is good for tracking damage I imagine. I'll try it out if I ever decide to rebuy the tank.

Had a really good game the other day in my Easy 8 - 7 kills @ 2400 damage win.

Was dicey at the end though got spotted by a Cromwell B which almost sunk me, but I backed off bushed up and waited for him to get spotted . He got killed and the Churchill was easy peasy to kill at that point.

I've had really good games with the 76 mm, but I could see where the derp would actually be more useful when in tier 7/8 matches.

The 76 is reasonable at tier 6, but it starts to have problems at tier 7-8. Even at tier 6, just about every shot you pen with the 76 probably could have been from the derp, but for 3x damage. Keep distance under 200 meters and you'll do 2-3k damage pretty often. 

Why does the difference between 101.6 pen HEAT and 128 pen AP seem marginal compared to the difference between 128 pen and ~145(other tier 6 meds)? I never worry about penning much when driving my Cromwell B, T-34-85, or VK30.01P.

Also, IIRC T-150 only has 90 mm on the hull? Pretty much with HEAT you can't frontally pen a Churchill, VK3601, and O-I, and they're slow enough to flank easily. 

I think the Jumbo might actually be better for flanking. Unless it's a 150 mm derp gun, in the process of flanking you'll bounce a shot or two that you would've taken had you driven an E8. I think you can take more risks in the Jumbo, and benefit more from them. 

On 4/17/2017 at 6:10 AM, datboi said:

The 76 is reasonable at tier 6, but it starts to have problems at tier 7-8. Even at tier 6, just about every shot you pen with the 76 probably could have been from the derp, but for 3x damage. Keep distance under 200 meters and you'll do 2-3k damage pretty often. 

Why does the difference between 101.6 pen HEAT and 128 pen AP seem marginal compared to the difference between 128 pen and ~145(other tier 6 meds)? I never worry about penning much when driving my Cromwell B, T-34-85, or VK30.01P.

Also, IIRC T-150 only has 90 mm on the hull? Pretty much with HEAT you can't frontally pen a Churchill, VK3601, and O-I, and they're slow enough to flank easily. 

I think the Jumbo might actually be better for flanking. Unless it's a 150 mm derp gun, in the process of flanking you'll bounce a shot or two that you would've taken had you driven an E8. I think you can take more risks in the Jumbo, and benefit more from them. 

there.

You are comparing gold round to the normal one, like srsly? 

Better compare 102 pen HEAT to 177 apcr, and you will see where it starts to make sense. 

Or 53 HE and 128 AP. or 381 m/s vs 990, most importantly. 0.4 vs 0.53 is not to be sneezed on, along with shell costs (2800 vs 4000 a pop, and you are gonna get more apcr pens (and hits vs HEAT)

APCR of only 177 mm is not good round compared to 194 from 85 mm, or 202 from crommie, but it does the job. when you flank IS-3, you will know why. 

derp does at least some dmg to tier 8 heavies frontally (but if you do it, you are playing E8 wrong), that you would never even scratch with the 177 apcr (like most of them), but it is pitiful, simply an annoyance to them, and you will not help your team with that. If you manage to get side shots, you are still better with 76 mm. Not every flanking is done at 50 m, and even there HEAT will troll you (flanking means you shoot through tracks by default, and aiming above or around them will get you killed...and 76 could squeeze 2 shots in time it aims).

dogfighting other mediums is also a huge gamble. Sure, hitting crommies for 350 is nice, but you can also miss them with that slow shells. With 76 mm it is a sure win since he will miss you with 50% of shots, and your turret bounces stuff.

E2 is a better platform for derp. you are giving up vision games (and E8 still has the best view range in tier + Vstab meaning you can mount optics instead of binos, and never stop moving) anyway if you choose the derp.

The playstyle of each gun defines where you should be. If you've got the derp, you should never be over 200 m away, unless it's something soft like a TOG. All flanking should be up close and personal. In contrast, the 76 requires you to stay at range, not closing distances. I am personally a fan of the Russian heavy playstyle, so playing the Jumbo with the 105 feels right, and it works in practice. 

As far as shell costs, let's say I just did 3500 damage. That would be about 12-13 HEAT shells, total cost about 50,000. For APCR, you'd probably shoot over 40 shells, which is easily over 110000 credits. I can justify high alpha sprem, but not for lower alpha guns. 

At the ranges that you should be at, 381 m/s isn't that bad. Once you get used to it, you can reliably hit a maneuvering crommie at about 100 meters. Sure, HVAP from the 76 is 990 m/s, but it's not really necessary at shorter ranges. 

Also, VR? Tons of tier 6 meds have 370 m of VR, so...?

On 4/18/2017 at 2:09 PM, datboi said:

As far as shell costs, let's say I just did 3500 damage. That would be about 12-13 HEAT shells, total cost about 50,000. For APCR, you'd probably shoot over 40 shells, which is easily over 110000 credits. I can justify high alpha sprem, but not for lower alpha guns.

Lol. Every single pen you have made with HEAT could have been done with AP from 76. And when you have 2.4 s reload, you switch ammo types more often, thus saving on gold.

On 4/18/2017 at 2:09 PM, datboi said:

Also, VR? Tons of tier 6 meds have 370 m of VR, so...?

Name one besides E8 that is not a german barn visible from space.

Anyway, could you upload some replays and let us see your stats running derp. Just to check if you are actually doing any good with it.

If we don't like the many fascist box tanks, the Type 58 has 370, and so does the Firefly:MingLee:

All other tier 6 meds get 360, and 10 m VR isn't that much of a disadvantage, especially given that all the other meds have pretty good stats everywhere else. 

I don't have one on my normal account, but there should be one on an old alt of mine...

Replays might be a while in coming :D

Edit: I've got a Jumbo on console, if you want the results of clubbing particularly autistic seals :doge:

Edit 2: I can't remember the password OR email to my old alt. The stats to my PS4 account are at wotinfo, ign VeganJoy. You can check my individual stats for each tank, however inflated they are.