arthurwellsley

Garbad - back from the dead?

I looked at another World of Tanks news website this morning and came across an article that says; " I recently returned to WOT after a two year break and have been trying to shake off my rust. "

The article with Garbad as the "author" can be found at;

https://thedailybounce.net/2017/04/15/garbads-10-rules-for-internet-tank-fighting/

Will he apply to be unbanned at wotlabs?

Is he on here using an alt?

Is it really even Garbad?

A search for Garbad on wotreplays yields some recently-uploaded results. He also appears to have re-joined -G- at some point in the past month and his account's performance seems consistent with his history. 

I'm excited at the prospect of his return.

in my completely honest and un sweetened opinion. I don't really care. I used to think he was some sort of god of tanks, but now that Im at that level I realise that it wasn't the case. hes not that great by Unicum standards, or at least, he wasn't leading up the the point when he quit. maybe he was in 2012/2013, but this isn't 2013. this is 2016/2017. Im better than he was when he quit, I was better than he was when he quit at the time he quit.  

he made some good guides, I can't deny that. but looking back on him his ego was absolutely massive, which, from what I know today, feels kinda unwarranted. 

frankly im just like "meh" he doesn't deserve all the attention hes getting. and I don't think he should be unbanned from wotlabs. You have no idea how big a headache he was for the mods, they had to resort to having to approve EVERY SINGLE POST he made, and it still wasn't enough to cut his bullshit. 

but thats just my completely honest, unfiltered opinion. 

3 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

in my completely honest and un sweetened opinion. I don't really care. I used to think he was some sort of god of tanks, but now that Im at that level I realise that it wasn't the case. hes not that great by Unicum standards, or at least, he wasn't leading up the the point when he quit. maybe he was in 2012/2013, but this isn't 2013. this is 2016/2017. Im better than he was when he quit, I was better than he was when he quit at the time he quit.  

he made some good guides, I can't deny that. but looking back on him his ego was absolutely massive, which, from what I know today, feels kinda unwarranted. 

frankly im just like "meh" he doesn't deserve all the attention hes getting. and I don't think he should be unbanned from wotlabs. You have no idea how big a headache he was for the mods, they had to resort to having to approve EVERY SINGLE POST he made, and it still wasn't enough to cut his bullshit. 

The only thing where you 're at his level is maybe your platoon enhanced WN8. Keep in mind that WoT 2013 was a different game and that WN8 doesn't have an inbuilt "inflation coefficient" despite trying via updadet expect. values (1 point system can't do that for the top 1% or better, when the reference is around 1250 WN8). Comparing 2013 damage numbers with todays is nonsense (for the top 1%). And if you really think you re as good as Garbad was 3-4 years ago (he wasn't the best back then imo) that just shows that you either don't understand WN8 or have an inflated sense when it comes to your accomplishments in this game.

What "I" 'll give you is the fact that you closed the gap be a large amount - no discussion - and therefor your perspective changed quite a bit.

but thats just my completely honest, unfiltered and unreflected opinion. 

fixed that

With the dirth of uninformed, misinformed, and ignorant WoT players well written and documented content is invaluable.  As a student of the game he brings a perspective and insights to WoT gameplay for the masses.  Many of the current better players have many other's in addition to Garbad's prolific musings to thank for their for headstarts to purpleness...

"it is the greatest achievement of a teacher to enable his students to surpass him." - John G. Kemeny   

Having said that, the many documented Garbad shenanigans in the wotlabs forums should certainly remain a "bygone era"...

The big issue with Garbad is he wasn't able to separate his excellent skill and knowledge of the game from his desire to troll the shit out of people and pick fights.

As a knowledge bank for this game he is one of the best. Able to convey to others what he is doing and how they can emulate his performance. That's something not many high skill players are capable of. Sharing knowledge isn't an easy thing to do.

He just needs to stop trying to poke the anime kids, arty players, etc.

6 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

in his defense he never misspelled assassin 

Always thought Garbad brought more to the table than he took away with his baity trolling/fight picking, but I knew him from EVE/Goonswarm and people seemed to have thicker skins in that game..

That said, he was a champion of maximizing WR over dpg, so why are we even talking about damage/wn8 values? I'd like to see any of the top dpg whores play as many games as he did SOLO with as high a WR....it's a lost art. The WR > DPG camp lost it's head when he was banned, unfortunate people couldn't help but get baited into the fights.

7 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Not defending him in anyway, but you are nowhere near his level. You may be able to get similar WN8, but try pulling 70% WR solo in lots of different tanks. WN8 has been around long enough that people know how to easily pad it. He used to cry about it all the time cus people would throw WN8 in his face cus theirs was higher, but he still won more. There is no way to pad solo WR without having skill. Honestly, I have to agree with his point as well as many others who think the same way. WR>WN8. All the metrics come and go, and WR is the only constant.

5 minutes ago, Driftin said:

Not defending him in anyway, but you are nowhere near his level. You may be able to get similar WN8, but try pulling 70% WR solo in lots of different tanks. WN8 has been around long enough that people know how to easily pad it. He used to cry about it all the time cus people would throw WN8 in his face cus theirs was higher, but he still won more. There is no way to pad solo WR without having skill. Honestly, I have to agree with his point as well as many others who think the same way. WR>WN8. All the metrics come and go, and WR is the only constant.

Ill give you that, 70% solo was an achievement. I had forgotten he did that. And i wont attempt to downplay his guides, they helped even me, however I do still think his "era" is well passed, and I dont think hes worth all the attention hes getting for coming back.

4 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Ill give you that, 70% solo was an achievement. I had forgotten he did that. And i wont attempt to downplay his guides, they helped even me, however I do still think his "era" is well passed, and I dont think hes worth all the attention hes getting for coming back.

I agree. LOL  Some people seriously idolize him. You can knock him for many things, but his ability to win was not one of them. I used to laugh at the WN8/WR arguments that always ensued.  

Quick fun fact: my iOS autocorrect thinks that "Garbad" is short for "garb adsorption" :MingLee:

Anyone know some good threads to read for entertainment? Not playing until 9.18 goes live on EU, the last couple of sessions have been 10-12 arty games :cri:

Meh, I always found his replies and threads (well teh game related ones) to be very well explained, easy to understand, and useful. That being said if he wants to play, let him play, if he doesn't, who cares?

Certainly he was a fantastic asset for mew players to be able to read(I say "was" as I think most of his posts are gone) but I don't think it's that big a deal if he's decided to return or not.

He's certainly a good asset for players who want to become good, but at the higher end there are people who can teach better than him. Sort of like what Tazilon is/was for scouting but actually a good player.