Sign in to follow this  
TheMarine0341

Week in Review, 9.18

WALL OF TEXT WARNING

So, this change to the game really was the largest while Ive been an active player (Started playing in 8.4, BUT I had no clue what was going on with the game until about 9.0) These changes affected

• 1) Matchmaking

• 2) Light Tanks

• 3) Artillery

I'll start with #1, and will probably skim over option 3 as theres a whole thread on it and WG should just remove the damn class already but I digress.

Match Making

The new MM featured several heavy changes, including some just introduced today. First, they removed the +3 from ALL light tanks, and gave them standard MM. Across the board, this was a big time boost. With the exception of preferential tanks and low tiers, its fairly 'simply' for MM to pair you up. Does this in 3 ways: 3 top, 5 mid, 7 bottom || 5 top, 10 bottom || 15 same tier. And with today's patch, WG is attempting to fix another issue and balance the number of each class of tank in the battle, and the top tier tanks will match classes (IE arty v arty, LT v LT, TD v TD, but pit HT or MT vs HT or MT, cause raisins) Further, there can be only ONE top tier arty.

Since the patch hit, Ive played mostly my higher tiers including the Rhm Pzw (Tier 10 GE Scout). It seemed like most of the time, though, I would see a LOT of 15v15 in my tier 10s, and much more 3/5/6 and 5/10 in my tier 9s. Ive not played any premiums in public battles as I play those in pretty much only SHs. Most of the time Ive been in Light Tanks. Much of the time, the most common MM I got was 5/10 and never a 15v15 in the mid tiers. Tier 9's are even stronger now within the MM que, and I would image pref 8's are much of the same. Ive played about 50% solo, and 50% in platoons.

Overall, with the patch today, I think overall this went the right direction with the exception of the constant 15v15 tier 10 battles. It seems great in theory and will mirror WG's attempt at a ladder system, you'll find more often than not its like dropping down to tier 5 battles. The VAST majority of tier 10 players are just dumb with their positioning and trading of HP because OMG IM A TIER 10 TANK WHAT THE FUCK HOW ARE YOU PENNING ME OK TIME TO YOLO CAUSE FUCK RAISINS are even more common. This is a good step, but needs tweaking which we're seeing from WG. PS, dont pad your overall WR in tier 9 platoons, thats my platoon's job, mk? kappa

Scouts

The easy part: Removing the +3 MM was AMAZING!!!

The rest of the story

Tier 9 scouts are in a good place. Gun handling was buffed for many of the tier 8's which became the tier 9's. They're balanced for their role, and are a delight to play. Ive played a TON of 13-90 and T49 battles, and really just had fun. A lot of others I play with enjoy the tier 9 RU251 and T54L. Do not know of anyone playing the tier 9 CH light as those people skipped to the tier 10.

Now, for the other tiers... fuck those fucking worthless pieces of shit wtf were you thinking Wargaming, ruining my fucking fun like that you asswipes... um, gimme a sec... K

• Tier 5: Ballsacks removed. My original favorite tank, the Chaffee, is no more. My low tier US MT trainer, the M7, dead to me. The removal of their HP and overall handling just made them worthless. And, dont get me started on the ELC AMX. Like, wtf... At least with 400HP, if you get tagged by a tier 6 RU HT theres a chance you survive but NO NO NO NO

• Tier 6: Hello Type 64, you now have a V-Stab! You're perfectly balanced!!! Almost like, removing the +3 MM for most of the light tanks and changing it to just +2 would have balanced them in the first place... 59-16, your 57mm is still superior and I never played you like a scout anyway. But, my beloved T-37 was cut down in favor of a T21 as it has better VR and gun handling.

• Tier 7: Type 62, how i WISH i had you!!! You're now the superior tier 7 light! 13-57... well, 1480 base EXP is NOT enough for an Ace! I also have the least experience since the patch in this tier so thats that

• Tier 8: lel. Some people like them, others not so much. We've experimented with the Bulldog's mobility in 5v5 and 7v7 format, but the Blackdog is now king overall. I see no reason to have any of these tanks in my garage. I dont get what they're thinking

• Tier 10: Sigh. So much potential. So little living space. FR: Will not replace a BatChat in CW as a scout. GE: You need more ammo and slightly better DPM. Wont see use in CW. US: Ok, this one can still be fun but still, the 105 needs more ammo and slightly better DPM. Wont see use in CW. RU: lel VR, low ammo, poor accuracy. Why? CH: No opinion as I have not played. The stock 90mm on the tier 9 T49 is a better gun than most/all tier 10 lights. Sad sad sad state they're in. I will eventually have the Sheridan in my garage, but that will be the last tier 10 LT I will buy, leaving me with 1 last tier 10 I want for my garage

To sum: WG could have had something amazing with Light Tanks adding a new layer to the game. Instead, we almost across the board got bland toned down tanks which just serve no roll which could not be done with a heavy tank or medium tank, especially in tier 10 this is most obvious. And really, the light tanks don't need much at all to have a better utility. Most of their issues could be solved by 10-20m more VR, 10 or so more rounds, and about a 5% increase to DPM and accuracy for guns with .4 or worse accuracy.

Artillery

Sigh. See thread, particularly this https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldofTanks/comments/67ammn/arty_talk_here_please/dgp95a6/

Tier 5: Ballsacks removed. My original favorite tank, the Chaffee, is no more. My low tier US MT trainer, the M7, dead to me. The removal of their HP and overall handling just made them worthless. And, dont get me started on the ELC AMX. Like, wtf... At least with 400HP, if you get tagged by a tier 6 RU HT theres a chance you survive but NO NO NO NO

Yo man you forgot Leopard which is actually pretty awesome now considering its same as before with bit worse HP but regular MM (meets tier 3s LUL) and gets VStabs.

As for arty, fuck arty and everyone who plays it. I have posted it way too many times but you might remember my post why arty removal would not just make game better as itself but that would open up possibilities for pretty much every single major problem for the game to be fixed, apart from RNG but that can be fixed just separately.

12 minutes ago, ZXrage said:

Is it just a different name or did it differ from Mines in a way?

Different name.

It was the same map but it was so old that it was quite different as it has been changed many times. But yes, technically the same map.

11 minutes ago, ZXrage said:

Is it just a different name or did it differ from Mines in a way?

had some slight differences 

So I just logged in to take a look at some of the changes.

If, pre-patch, I had campaign reward camo on my 54-Lightweight and now my Lightweight isn't painted and I don't own any camo for it (also not on the freebie LTTB I received), then what happened to the campaign camo that I had on the Lightweight pre-patch?

9 minutes ago, canadiantrex said:

So I just logged in to take a look at some of the changes.

If, pre-patch, I had campaign reward camo on my 54-Lightweight and now my Lightweight isn't painted and I don't own any camo for it (also not on the freebie LTTB I received), then what happened to the campaign camo that I had on the Lightweight pre-patch?

Campaign camos were returned to your hanger (or were supposed to be), and perm camos were refunded at full gold cost.

19 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:
  • 4) Map Rotation?

Any comments on Map Rotation?

I have all three modes enabled and anecdotally see less repeats (but do see them).  It looks like map weightings (appearance in the rotation) have changed somewhat as I have seen Stalingrad/Kharkov/Paris more often, than I like...

8 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

Any comments on Map Rotation?

I have all three modes enabled and anecdotally see less repeats (but do see them).  It looks like map weightings (appearance in the rotation) have changed somewhat as I have seen Stalingrad/Kharkov/Paris more often, than I like...

IMG_7643.jpg

small sample tho...

still annoys me about the chinese lights. didnt get camo refunded, and i have to grind out the entire tier 9. the gun on the tier 9 really pisses me off, its only just barely different enough from the gun of the same name on the med/heavy line. cmon wg.

rip tier 10 lights as well. i see very little reason to get any of the tier 10s atm.

10 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

small sample tho...

Small sample are the best though because that's what we were complaining about. On the long run the map rotation was mostly decent. Just on short session that was horrible.

30 minutes ago, DHP said:

Small sample are the best though because that's what we were complaining about. On the long run the map rotation was mostly decent. Just on short session that was horrible.

I dont think so, i'll pull out sesion from few days ago with more games and almost same rotation... 

Perfect would be all map rotation after (number of maps) games. But this is step in right direction.

Maybe it's me but current arty changes are only welcome to heavy players. We have 3 artys in every game and some pubbies already claim it's a buff (at least 7-8trier). Due to lower dmg but higher rof and acc I see waaaay more focus on fast tanks from arty. I've been 1 shoted in my lights 3-4 times in 30 games I played yesterday. 1-2 times I've been heavily focused in meds while when I play my Maus I get way fewer shots. 

On 4/28/2017 at 9:38 AM, DHP said:

foYP6WP.png

vgqUMG8.png

Marine,

Totally agree with this. I think the lights where in a good place BEFORE the 9.18 micro patch but now there needs a lot of work. Small tweaks like pulling down 430/420 view range down but the mid tiers got shafted.

• The T71 should be gold standard for tier 7.  
  • The M41 would be fine if they changed the reload to about 20 seconds when the moved the autoloader from 36 seconds w/10 rounds (which was OP btw)  to the 6 shot autoloader.
  • The wz-131 went from 2300 to 1600 DPM with the 85mm. It should be at least 1950 DPM, with better aim time. In addition 390 view range. I just feel the balance team used the 100mm stats (1884 DPM/ 2.5 aim time) and took off 200 DPM, (which is reasonable).
  • The Ru251 got standard velocity base round but lost 300 DPM. There was no reason for DPM loss...again the T49 should be gold standard for tier 9 and tanks balanced around that. 
  • The tier 8 French BT-12 is in a bad state. What would be unique, and a simple fix is to lower the interclip shot from 2 secs to 1.5 secs. This would play a little more like the 13/57 but with only 4 shots. Also new players have to grind this pos 3!!! to get the 13/90, AMX 30 and the Batchat. That's almost 600,000 XP in arguably the worst tiier 8 light out there. Bad game design. Also another 380 BS view range. 
  • The T37 needs a more accurate gun and 10m more view range. Buff the t21 camo to make it unique. 
  • And for the love of god give the M5 Stuart a usable gun. 

Finally no 10 scout should have less than 405 view range.  2500-2700 DPM should be the mark for these tanks. 

I have played for the first time in 2 months because I wanted to see what the patch was like. I agree with Marine on everything. I am having a ball in my RU251, T54LT not so much. I really like the new MM although it does go full retard occasionally but it is definitely better than before. What I really like as a solo only player is that Platoons don't seem to have as much of a dominating role as they used to. Most platoons are bottom tier and that suits me just fine. So nyeh to you platoon WR paddererers nyeh :kappa:.

The map rotation seems to be better than before but I have had some himmelsdorf/winter himels/karkov/stalingrad rotations which haven't been fun in my little RU.

Overall this patch seems good and I don't really care about the tier 10 lights as I doubt I will play enough to grind them out anyway. I did have a circle duel with the german tier 10 light in my RU and easily deleted him.

but I can already feel my interest waning. This patch hasn't been enough to make me start playing obsessively again. Which is a shame as I was hoping it would. I guess that directly relates to how bad the tier 10 lights seem. If they were good I know I would try to grind out 1 or 2. Oh well.