OnboardG1

Duca D'Aosta

The first Benito Box dropped and it's pretty good actually. The guns are the big feature IMO. Only eight guns but the trajectories are flat and the shells are punchy. Interestingly I've found they work best against cruisers with slightly heavier armour, like the Aoba. I was getting a lot of overpens on stuff like Omahas and Budyonnys but the tougher ships like Cleveland and Furutaka soaked a lot more citadels. That's probably a function of light shells and flat arcs. The only thing that's a bit rough is the range. 14km is unpleasant when matched against T8, especially if you don't have a captain with concealment expert (although I went IFHE first because without it your damage on the inevitable T8 German BB swarm is pitiful). Otherwise the speed is great to flex where you need to be and the small size makes it hard to hit. It's amazingly good at chasing DDs around because of the speed and the fact that your hydro is on a separate slot to the defensive AA. Oh and lol torps that go 12km. They're pretty funny for catching some very surprised battleships as they come round a corner.

Overall it's the most fun T6 I've played in a while.

2 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

The first Benito Box dropped and it's pretty good actually. The guns are the big feature IMO. Only eight guns but the trajectories are flat and the shells are punchy. Interestingly I've found they work best against cruisers with slightly heavier armour, like the Aoba. I was getting a lot of overpens on stuff like Omahas and Budyonnys but the tougher ships like Cleveland and Furutaka soaked a lot more citadels. That's probably a function of light shells and flat arcs. The only thing that's a bit rough is the range. 14km is unpleasant when matched against T8, especially if you don't have a captain with concealment expert (although I went IFHE first because without it your damage on the inevitable T8 German BB swarm is pitiful). Otherwise the speed is great to flex where you need to be and the small size makes it hard to hit. It's amazingly good at chasing DDs around because of the speed and the fact that your hydro is on a separate slot to the defensive AA. Oh and lol torps that go 12km. They're pretty funny for catching some very surprised battleships as they come round a corner.

Overall it's the most fun T6 I've played in a while.

Armor-wise, Furutaka and Aoba has 76mm citadel armor + 13mm torp bulge, while Budyonny is better armored with 115mm citadel armor that sits a little bit lower than Aoba.

Omaha also has 76mm citadel armor that extends quite bit above waterline but citadel is very short lengthwise and does not even extend under the bridge even.

So I thought at first that your observation is based on citadel size rather than armor itself. But then, you were getting citadels from a Cleveland that has notoriously small citadel... maybe the shells lose quite some pen over time?

armor is quite troll when angled, since the citadel is so narrow, most shells go off before entering it, unlike the Molotov, which is basically the same ship with a different turret/gun arrangement

The Spaghetti Cruiser might well be the most enjoyable premium that I have picked up in the last year. Given that I have bought almost every prem released in that time frame except for Krispy Krap, and Saipan that is saying something.

It combines great mobility with fast, flat flying, reliable AP, the ability to carry both Hydro and Defensive Fire at the same time, and a decent protective scheme. The only thing that stops it from being outright OP is that it's HE is nothing to write home about, and that is doesn't have access to either smoke of HP heal. Honestly with 5k - 9k more HP I probably would have been comfortable with shelling out more cash to buy this as a tier 7 prem. As a tier 6 though it is everything you could possibly want in a premium cruiser.

16 hours ago, CompanionCav said:

Armor-wise, Furutaka and Aoba has 76mm citadel armor + 13mm torp bulge, while Budyonny is better armored with 115mm citadel armor that sits a little bit lower than Aoba.

Omaha also has 76mm citadel armor that extends quite bit above waterline but citadel is very short lengthwise and does not even extend under the bridge even.

So I thought at first that your observation is based on citadel size rather than armor itself. But then, you were getting citadels from a Cleveland that has notoriously small citadel... maybe the shells lose quite some pen over time?

Nah probably just the citadel profile. The Cleveland might have been an outlier where I was at the right range. Flat arcs mean you're more likely to miss low lying citadels or bounce the shot off of the citadel deck.

I don't own it but I can say that the Pepsi can delete these ships quite handily if you make a mistake. This weekend the Duca was one of my favorite targets because the US AP is quite punishing especially in an ambush scenario. ;)

On 5/2/2017 at 9:18 AM, CompanionCav said:

It seems Duca has spaced citadel armor for the full length of its citadel. Can anyone confirm citadel hits from RN cruisers?

Dont know about the RN's not able to citadel it, but its ridiculously tanky, maybe the tankiest tier 6 cruiser... dat AP is sweet, citadeled a York at 12km 

So it's a light cruiser that has better AP than the ships that are supposed to be good at APing and also able to break the tank of the ships that are supposedly tanky. I'm sure the 27mm bow-armor on the T8+ german CAs will compensate nicely for that. Fuck me, why are they so conservative with Yorck, Hipper and Eugen? Sometimes it's as if there are two different balancing-teams doing that job their, each with their own specific ships that the other team does not touch.

On 02/05/2017 at 6:18 PM, CompanionCav said:

It seems Duca has spaced citadel armor for the full length of its citadel. Can anyone confirm citadel hits from RN cruisers?

I'd like to know if it's even possible with 15Xmm guns in general. I've had one go broadside to my Bullyonny for 3 salvos at 5-6km and I managed to get 0 citadels.

34 minutes ago, _Goliard said:

I'd like to know if it's even possible with 15Xmm guns in general. I've had one go broadside to my Bullyonny for 3 salvos at 5-6km and I managed to get 0 citadels.

If your shells penetrated the outer layer of spaced armor scheme but failed to penetrate the inner wall (citadel armor), then it will do zero damage. System will show you normal penetration hit ribbons for these zero damage hits.

If your shells scored overpens, then the shells most likely hit above the spaced armor portion or hit the bow/stern.

Duca main belt is only 70mm thick. Citadel armor behind it is 40mm under turrets and 35mm elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Madner Kami said:

So it's a light cruiser that has better AP than the ships that are supposed to be good at APing and also able to break the tank of the ships that are supposedly tanky. I'm sure the 27mm bow-armor on the T8+ german CAs will compensate nicely for that. Fuck me, why are they so conservative with Yorck, Hipper and Eugen? Sometimes it's as if there are two different balancing-teams doing that job their, each with their own specific ships that the other team does not touch.

Octavian hinted at more buffs to come for Yorck and above. They really should implement those buffs - something actually useful - before waving Eugen sales advertisement in front of the crowd again.

But as I said before somewhere else, benefits of 27mm bow will be felt in the far future when enough 15 incher European BBs saturate the matchmaker.

Bought the Duca for the alt (kids) account, and Perth for my main account.

Duca is fun, pretty sure IFHE will be first 10-pt skill for both. A 1km range bump wouldn't be bad for either one though...  :P