for_SCIENCE

Friant Appreciation Thread

I love Friants. I particularly recommend these Raspberry and Lemon Friants, although chopped plums, cherries or peaches work, as do whole blueberries and other small fruity things (redcurrants, elderberies etc). My suggested recipe is as follows:

Ingredients

• 10 free-range egg whites
  • 300 g (2.5 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
  • 175 g (1.5 cups) almond meal
  • 370 g (2 + 1/3 cups) icing sugar, sifted, plus extra for dusting
  • 2/3 cup (100 g) plain flour, sifted
  • 2 x 125 g (1/2 lb) punnets raspberries, plus extra for serving

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C fan-forced (convert your own farenheits, bitches). Lightly grease 2 non-stick (or silicone), 9 hole Friant trays, (or 3 x 6 hole tins) or use cupcake tins if you like (but note:  you may not get as many Friants because size). Don't grease with hair, but with duck fat, lard, butter or oil - better grapeseed or vegetable than olive as olive smokes at a low temperature.
Whisk the egg whites for a few seconds just to lightly combine; you don’t need to whip them into peaks or anything like that as you're not making a bloody pavlova, are you?
Add the butter, almond meal, sifted icing sugar and flour and beat to combine well. Beat means 'stir and fold with a bit of circular wrist action', not 'hit it with a spoon like you're trying to wank it'.
 Pour into the prepared moulds or pans, filling each hole to just two-thirds full. Don't shove it in all the way, it'll create lots of spillage and you'll have a nasty mess on the floor of the oven.
Place two or three raspberries on top of each Friants and bake for 25–30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean and tops are lightly golden brown. If you're skewering a friant, use a skewer, not any other skewering implement that comes to hand.
Dust the Friants with icing sugar and serve warm, with extra fresh raspberries if you like and fresh cream (not knob cream or cream ofvajizzle thx).

Cheaper AND Tastier than Wargaming's Friants - What more do you want?

15 minutes ago, Tigeh said:

I love Friants. I particularly recommend these Raspberry and Lemon Friants, although chopped plums, cherries or peaches work, as do whole blueberries and other small fruity things (redcurrants, elderberies etc). My suggested recipe is as follows:

Ingredients

• 10 free-range egg whites
  • 300 g (2.5 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
  • 175 g (1.5 cups) almond meal
  • 370 g (2 + 1/3 cups) icing sugar, sifted, plus extra for dusting
  • 2/3 cup (100 g) plain flour, sifted
  • 2 x 125 g (1/2 lb) punnets raspberries, plus extra for serving

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C fan-forced (convert your own farenheits, bitches). Lightly grease 2 non-stick (or silicone), 9 hole Friant trays, (or 3 x 6 hole tins) or use cupcake tins if you like (but note:  you may not get as many Friants because size). Don't grease with hair, but with duck fat, lard, butter or oil - better grapeseed or vegetable than olive as olive smokes at a low temperature.
Whisk the egg whites for a few seconds just to lightly combine; you don’t need to whip them into peaks or anything like that as you're not making a bloody pavlova, are you?
Add the butter, almond meal, sifted icing sugar and flour and beat to combine well. Beat means 'stir and fold with a bit of circular wrist action', not 'hit it with a spoon like you're trying to wank it'.
 Pour into the prepared moulds or pans, filling each hole to just two-thirds full. Don't shove it in all the way, it'll create lots of spillage and you'll have a nasty mess on the floor of the oven.
Place two or three raspberries on top of each Friants and bake for 25–30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean and tops are lightly golden brown. If you're skewering a friant, use a skewer, not any other skewering implement that comes to hand.
Dust the Friants with icing sugar and serve warm, with extra fresh raspberries if you like and fresh cream (not knob cream or cream ofvajizzle thx).

Cheaper AND Tastier than Wargaming's Friants - What more do you want?

Load the gun and put it in your mouth.

20 hours ago, Vettish said:

I've played this thing a few times tonight and I think a Dasiy BB gun would citadel it...

Is the whole line like this?

Up to La Galisonniere  so far and they are super squishy. You're almost better off softening your angle against BBs because of overpens. Most of the time I've been citadelled at range has been at an angle. So far it hasn't been a super impressive line of cruisers. Not bad per se but not really exciting either. Stay at max range and spam HE, dodge return fire. Sometimes you'll be able to AP a ship showing too much side but it doesn't happen enough at higher tiers that you can rely on it for consistent damage. Hope this helps.

Surprisingly, I am loving this line. It just clicks with me so far. I was hating the tier three then I went and read a few guides and watched a few vids and it just works for me so far. Lets see if it keeps going in this direction. I hope so because I am enjoying these ships much more than BBs. Up to the tier five atm.

The Friant is good because it's a post-WWI cruiser setup in a tier where that doesn't exist, but D-T (fucked if I can remember the spelling) is better.

It's a high tier cruiser in tier 4. ±15km range, 4x2 setup, floaty arcs, useful torps, good speed and... well... like high tier cruisers... no armour.

And all this in a meta where no-one has those things. Certainly not in one bundle. The shotgunning BBs aren't going to threaten you at that range. The DDs can't handle the accuracy and alpha from the turret layout, or really your ability to motor. And other cruisers? Well, they're just fucked.

There are banks behind this ship so when not in battle crew seems to sit and enjoy the view perhaps sipping their wines.

Yes this ship is insane for T3.

3 hours ago, favorius said:

There are banks behind this ship so when not in battle crew seems to sit and enjoy the view perhaps sipping their wines.

Yes this ship is insane for T3.

Practically all the french ships have these, it's part of the culture.

I'm up to the tier 8.  I like them all tier 5-8, but my fav so far is the tier 5.  it's speed really helps a lot and its one of the few if not only tier 5 to actually have turrets which help a lot.   If you were lucky enough to get one of those speed mods in a super-container which extends speed boost by 50% (which I did) it helps the upper tiers quite a bit. 

I tried running them with the stock module which increases acceleration, but didn't like it.  The ships turned too slowly and made them hard to evade torps at regular speed and even worse when the speed boost was engaged.   I only have the tier 8 Charles Martel and a 14 pt Capt, but will likely buy back the tier 5.

I love them both but I guess the 4 if I had to choose Although, if I'm not mistaken, the 3 will never be two tiers down and neither will ever be two tiers up. Is this statement true? If so then maybe the 3 is the keeper.