I'm considering starting down the French arty line (from the 12t).  Can anybody that has done this grind advise on which tanks are complete trash and should be skipped if possible?  I don't particularly enjoy arty, and they certainly aren't money earners, but I'll admit the Tier 10 was fun on the common test so I basically just want that to occasionally blow off steam.

Arty flame suit on...

You've come to the right place for arty advice! :gachi:

That said.. I started out playing French and Russian before I knew any better and the only downside I could see in the French line (I got to tier eight) was that damage was getting increasingly anemic with tiers. I'm certainly no expert, but French arty might be winners in the recent patch; with damage mattering less, and the French arty getting better even accuracy whilst retaining their excellent mobility.

5 minutes ago, Monkey said:

French arty might be winners in the recent patch;

BC-155-58 avg dmg is probably the lowest in tiers 9 and 10.

American or RU seems to be the way to go for hi tier arty.  The Obj 261 is almost as mobile as the BC, accurate as far as arty goes, and has good alpha dmg.  

The american line seems to be strong in the mid tiers and the T92 speaks for itself.   Accuracy can be troll sometimes though...at least you have splash.

French arties have the lowest HE dmg out of all their peers which is really felt in T9-T10 when you start seeing more super heavies and heavily armored TD's.  As in hitting an E-100, JPZ, Maus, STI, etc for 100-200 dmg per direct hit...

9 hours ago, Tankthief said:

Yeah that thing is utter joke now. That thing cant do anything to super heavies literally. I played prohk on Type 5 and got constinently shit on it, yet lost total like 600 damage. Before patch you would lose 500 from one hit, now half of hits didnt do even damage and most of them did 40-100

23 hours ago, Tankthief said:

Just don't aim for heavily armored targets. The french arties seem to really like meds now

Every artillery likes low armored targets. The key difference between (almost) any arty and french artillery is, is that any other arty also deals decent damage and supression against heavily armored targets. The french got really shafted by the arty changes, with the 155/58 being by far the most useless T10-artillery in the game and it's not only down to the damage against heavy armor, but also stun duration, splash and, in case of the 155/58, reload. The only ones worse on certain tiers, are the british.

Had never did SPG personal missions but wanna to do it at last. Are French SPGs good for that? 

On 11.5.2017 at 3:34 PM, Madner Kami said:

Every artillery likes low armored targets. The key difference between (almost) any arty and french artillery is, is that any other arty also deals decent damage and supression against heavily armored targets. The french got really shafted by the arty changes, with the 155/58 being by far the most useless T10-artillery in the game and it's not only down to the damage against heavy armor, but also stun duration, splash and, in case of the 155/58, reload. The only ones worse on certain tiers, are the british.

Maybe in random matches if there is more heavy tank targets but in ranked 58 is fine arty, its is probably most used arty in rank5 battles and seems very dangerous to all but heavy tanks. For example they can hit russian mediums for 300 or so in good hits, I have been killed by them far too many times in ranked. Played few games with one in ranked, their new clip reload time is perfect, just enough to reposition between clips but still short enough to not have wait like prepatch over minute reloads.

That movement speed is also one of reasons they been soo popular in ranked, they can move with team, so if one flank crumbles they easily evade. And like I mentioned earlier speed and turret allows them get firing positions/angles no other arty can.

On 3.5.2017 at 7:30 AM, Javajunkie8b said:

American or RU seems to be the way to go for hi tier arty.  The Obj 261 is almost as mobile as the BC, accurate as far as arty goes, and has good alpha dmg. 

261 is nowhere as fast as BC, its effective speed is like half of batchat artys. Any kind of longer repositioning means losing multiple reloads worth of shoots.