ZXrage

9.19: Bonds! (and its repercussions)

14 minutes ago, Sapros said:

Allowing platoons in a game mode designed to reward personal performance would have been the final straw.

But 15vs15 is stupid in such a mode too. Why didn't they make it 10vs10 so that induhviduhal performance matters more?

People seemed to hate 13 v 13 matches sooo i dont think 10 v 10 is good idea

I mean, the bond thing is unnecessary. If you are afraid that not enough people play ranked battles, just give them actual rewards. Credits, gold, boosters, XP, maybe even new tanks (but make it random and not retarded "super hovermed" aka T-22 to avoid rigging, tho very low player count of rampage mode helped too).

Or alternatively, scrap these equipment things and make it so you can get for example gold, or even buy exclusive tanks with bond.

I still don't understand why they try to push this new crap. There are tons of possible rewards that could be interesting and that would not break the game balance. Be it quite standard credits, gold, boosters, crew XP, consumables, equipment or something like unique camouflage, emblems, lady crew members, tank discounts or whatever else's already in the game...

1 hour ago, kurcatovium said:

[...] There are tons of possible rewards that could be interesting and that would not break the game balance. Be it quite standard credits, gold, boosters, crew XP, consumables, equipment or something like unique camouflage, emblems, lady crew members, tank discounts or whatever else's already in the game...

There is still a possibility that you can get rewards like the things you named

The thing is that one of the devs said in the video that they are going to implement a system where you get the rewards in form of crates that consists items based on
a preliminary list of rewards, but he didnt specify what these items could or would be, except Bonds. But Bonds are just one of the items that could be in a crate.

That could imply that items from the list above still could make it into the reward list of the crate system ...

Seems like boats' crates then, only you have to play ranked to get them instead. Now if they gave those for randoms like AW... Free gold/premiums in pubs for doing well would be nice, but who are we kidding, its Wargaming.

10 hours ago, leggasiini said:

People seemed to hate 13 v 13 matches sooo i dont think 10 v 10 is good idea

I mean, the bond thing is unnecessary. If you are afraid that not enough people play ranked battles, just give them actual rewards. Credits, gold, boosters, XP, maybe even new tanks (but make it random and not retarded "super hovermed" aka T-22 to avoid rigging, tho very low player count of rampage mode helped too).

Or alternatively, scrap these equipment things and make it so you can get for example gold, or even buy exclusive tanks with bond.

Credit boosters and a good number of t6 premiums from all nations would have really made people happy. Especially if they included prems from lines that have no crew trainers. 

They can also reward people with discouts for premium tanks. That's actually an amazing idea since it would not only keep people playing but boost premium tank sales. Just don't make it an idiotic grind fest like the wz111 missions

Anybody already tested how much bond you get for playing this ranking mode? On the dailybounce blog I saw that he had already bought an improved rammer. Are they giving it out like candy? 

You start with a total of 5000 bonds on the testserver. Its enough for one piece of enhanced equipment and a couple of directives (= the consumables to improve your crew skills or equipment).

Offtopic: the new menu for missions and stuff is a tiny little bit confusing ...

Coming from the point of view of a good player.... I literally don't give a shit.

In one way the improved equipment removes a little bit of RNG. In another way, because not everybody will play this new mode and get improved shit, you might or might not face off against someone with the new equipment, which is another form of RNG.

In the long run, skill > rng. Git gud, son.

1 hour ago, canadiantrex said:

Coming from the point of view of a good player.... I literally don't give a shit.

In one way the improved equipment removes a little bit of RNG. In another way, because not everybody will play this new mode and get improved shit, you might or might not face off against someone with the new equipment, which is another form of RNG.

In the long run, skill > rng. Git gud, son.

Coming from the point of view of a very good player.... Oh boy I'm gonna farm so hard.

Pubbies never use their reload advantages anyway, but give me that extra 0.4 secs? Yes pls. Lets expand the skill gap further muahahaha

14 minutes ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

Coming from the point of view of a very good player.... Oh boy I'm gonna farm so hard.

Pubbies never use their reload advantages anyway, but give me that extra 0.4 secs? Yes pls. Lets expand the skill gap further muahahaha

I hadn't put into to words before but you are absolutely right. They usually pull back into cover and wait until the TD, with the 45 sec reload, reloads and poke again. 

I'll post what I said on discord: Problem as I see it is, does it make bad equipment more competitive or does it just widen the game between good and bad equipment.

Notice how they colored the improved gear purple....ie "Epic Gear". So they are trying to emulate MMO's. The problem with PVP modes with MMO's is exactly this...too many folks grinding away to have substantial differences in loot quality instead of skill. There is already enough of a difference between a basic vs 4 skill screw that provides a slight advantage...this gear blows that out of water.

I would drop the "purple gear" but keep the directive slot. It adds variety in the game, forces some strategy and does not change the performance parameters that much. Then use bonds to buy reserves, cool camo, possibly older CW tanks, and discounts on tanks, including premium tanks.

Back to the "Epic Gear" 12.5% vents + 12.5% rammer + 2.5% rammer directive is approx 6% better DPM/ reload. That's 168 DPM extra for a 2800 base DPM tank which is significant enough to force top CW to grind for it. No thank you...could make the game even more frustrating when playing against really good players. Luckily there is no epic "Camo Net" for the E25.

6 hours ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

I mean... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about the implications on max dpm/max crew skill builds.

But for the vast majority of players this ain't gonna change a thing.

42 minutes ago, canadiantrex said:

I mean... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about the implications on max dpm/max crew skill builds.

But for the vast majority of players this ain't gonna change a thing.

I agree the only difference the equipment will make is between two unicums, or maybe a blue player on a good day (pun not intended) and a unicum. This game is about positioning and if pubbies fail with is3s and Mauses they will fail even with enhanced equipment

8 hours ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

hahaha love your sig man

2 hours ago, Sapros said:

Will it be restricted to those hours on live as well? 

My guess is it will be, so it doesn't turn into rampage/sh rig fiesta.

The rewards are grindy af but since they are very worth it, might become mandatory for top cw clans(which is so fucked) Hopefully, it is only locked to that mode..

Anyone with a large garage has probably built up a collection of equipment over the years, which will basically be obsolete, that's pretty dumb.

This whole thing is pretty dumb, guarantee all the new equipment will be purchasable with real money, yet another cash grab.

In complete seriousness, imagine the potential if they opened up ranked to multiple tiers. They wouldn't need to tease us with a stupid gimmick reward if the mode itself had the appeal of guaranteed same tier MM every single match. That alone would make it worthwhile to basically anyone. And thus WG would have an outlet to introduce a new format that they could balance any way they wanted. If they say that the ranked mode is always same-tier, has less RNG, no arta allowed, or other such rules, they basically get a shot at making WoT 2.0 without launching a new game at all.

Of course WG isn't going to do that because they only see this as a method to get the pubbies to burn money to play at tier 10 more often than before. Which is sad. And simultaneously they're playing around with the frontline mode which is more of the same. At this rate the tier 10 population is going to be so badly split that none of the modes may even get off the ground. It might even slow down the random queues to a standstill. These modes desperately need to be open to more than just one tier.

And as for the enhanced equipment and directives themselves, I don't mind that they exist (and I do even think the bonuses from Rubicon could have worked in theory) but only so if the default 'empty' setting also comes with its own buff. You aren't getting a buff that wasn't already there, you just swap the default buff to a new and more exotic custom buff. For instance, the stock slot gives you something boring but useful like ammo rack durability or improved crew hit points. You get your bond points to swap that for one of the more fun buffs. And that's how I think the Rubicon fiasco could have been handled as well.

One thing that has me curious. What about that special consumables that improve crew skills. Anyone knows what improvement to 6th sense does? Because if it's instantenous 6th sense then it is pretty big on some tanks. 

18 minutes ago, rindorbrot said:

It gets 2 instead of 3 seconds activation delay with the boost.

Meh. If it's not instanenous then it's not worth it as in most cases a skilled player knows when he is spoted. Any other skill gets a useful boost?