feoffle3

Blunt assistance reqd.

Question

I am someone that is always trying to improve and get better at things. I enjoy playing WOT on the small amount of free time that I have (full time stressful job and a family), and naturally, I enjoy it the most when I am performing well.

I do not need sugar coating or anything for this post, I want to improve at the game but I feel that there is something I am doing wrong that is holding me back from improving. I feel my winrate and WN8 is above average, but there are days that I have, where no matter what I do, my winrate is utter crap and I can't stop the inevitable. Perhaps I do 4k damage and I still lose.

I know part of my problem is that I take risks when I shouldn't, but by the same token I am afraid that sitting around not doing anything proactive, can also be negative.

Can someone please look at my stats and say if there is anything that stands out as to whether I am a bad player that has been lucky so far, or if I am a slightly above average player.

I know the biggest mistake that I made was buying a T8 premium tank too early and my stats went crashing, as obviously I wasn't ready for it. However, I am a fast learner and have always been good at gaming since I was a teenager, so hopefully I pushed through that mistake, but I am ready to be told that I am still not ready and should stick to lower tiers for a time. I appreciate I still haven't quite hit 2k games.

Thank you for your time, this is my first post on this forum and am hoping that I have explained myself adequately.

6 answers to this question

nobody is good with 2000 games played, just keep playing the game and learn from experience. All the best players in world of tanks have over 20k battles played, and if it says otherwise, chances are they have played on other servers or they started a new account.

One thing I could suggest is watching streamers play. Some entertaining and skillfull people I would suggest: skill4ltu, circon, orzanel, and there's many other smaller streamers too.

I know I'm not a purple poster but I think I can give you some tips as I remember being in your situation pretty well.

You are actually still very early in your WoT career judging by the number of battles you've played and you are also a good ways ahead of a vast majority of players at the same stage. Most are sub 50% winrate with below 800 WN8 and are still clueless which is fine because you are just a novice. However, the sooner you realize that you are not good the sooner you will improve and in your case you are well ahead of most players.

This game has a steep learning curve and it really takes time and your own natural learning  abilities to become a better player. When you are still a beginner focus on playing tanks that are more forgiving like the Russian heavies for example. Stay away from light tanks especially as that is a very hard class to play and requires a lot of knowledge and experience to pull off. Also stay away from tank destroyers as they will stifle your development due to their mostly one-dimensional style of play. Focus on playing heavies and mediums as those are the most dynamic classes and will teach you the most about the game.

Start paying attention to the team line ups before the start of the match and make educational guesses where the enemy tanks might go depending on their classes. Start developing a habit of watching your mini-map to determine the flow of battle, where you might be able to push or if you need to fall back. Start watching replays/streams of top players and see what they do in various situations. This is something that really helped me tremendously.

Don't be in a rush to go up the tiers like you have done with buying a tier 8 premium. Too many players make this mistake and end up being in high tier matches where they are in over their heads and just end up being deadwood for their teammates. Please, please do not be this type of player. Go up the tiers gradually, making sure you are comfortable at whatever tier you're playing before moving up.

Honestly, at first I thought you meant 'blunt' as a 'joint'.

This game has an absurdly high skill ceiling. Take it slow and learn things one step at a time. Work on things like vision, penetration (mainly tank armor values/weakspots based on situations), map knowledge, boosts, camouflage, vision, etc.

The biggest thing to take away from any attempt to improve is to learn from mistakes.

First of all, thank you for the words, and your time.

The suggestion of watching streamers is something that I haven't done as much as I should (see above, family and job, lack of time), however I have watched some of circon before, and I watch youtube replays from the likes of quickybaby, dezgames and AgingJedi if I get time at lunch when I am at work or whatever.

I will make a point of watching more.

Through that I learned what you have said, analysing enemy team composition and deciding what their most likely route are going to be, if they have a lots of heavies then the town/city areas will likely be theirs. Also things like using terrain to get over gun depression short comings, pulling back from bushes to keep hidden when firing, good locations in maps for providing lots of assistance damage.

I don't use XVM as I found it annoying and didn't really give me much benefit, plus the "chance to win" used to have me a bit down-beat before we even set off at times.

Perhaps if anybody has the time they could look at one of my replays? This is the kind of match I find most frustrating when it seems I work really hard, and yet I am not influencing the game enough:

3.7k damage, 1 MOE, high caliber in the T-54 First Prototype and still a loss.

http://dezgamez.wot-record.com/replay/26854/feoffle3_frustrating_lack_of_carry

Still working on learning how to play. Single most important thing you can do is to look at the minimap any time your full attention is not 100% required for aiming or driving. Don't glance at it often, look at it when you're reloading, when you're driving on open ground, etc. Also, don't stay zoomed into sniper mode unless you are ready to take a shot and fully aimed in. 

The best players are usually always doing something: spotting enemies, firing, reloading, or moving to a position where they can spot or shoot effectively. 

Learn to control engagement distance. If you are the frontmost player on your team and eight enemies are shooting your direction, guess who's going to die quickly. It's you, not the guys camping behind you. You can't do anything about that, and it's not cowardly to pull back. Just pull back, get out of the bad situation, and then look at your minimap to see where you can have an impact without being in an impossible situation. Pulling back too soon is a better gamble than hoping your teammates will save you. They won't. If you put yourself in a bad position, that's your fault. This has to be balanced against sitting too far back so you can't help your team. It's a hard balance to learn.

While quickybaby and Dezgamez are fun to watch, the best streamers are the ones which really analyze the gameplay and talk through the decisionmaking.
Lemmingrush, Zeven, and now Ilya Red are making great high-end, highly self-reflective, and informative videos on how to put yourself in favorable situations, and when to take risks.

Completely forgot I hadn't responded.

Thanks again for taking the time to post and give advice.

I will have to take the time to look at those streamers and see what I can learn.