Sign in to follow this  
Deusmortis

Oddball questions on uncommon phone

I'm testing out a...  NEC G966.  It's primarily DECT/Wi-Fi, but runs on an android OS.  I'm trying to improve/break it as part of the testing process.

Big issue I'm running into is the native Android 4.04.  I'd like to upgrade, since it's hard to find any apps that work.  And play store does not work.  And the corporate network blocks most APK sites.  Anyone have a clue on how to upgrade this thing?

According to the manual I found here: https://dealers.nextel.nl/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?language=nl-NL&Command=Core_Download&EntryId=839&PortalId=3&TabId=1568

Settings > System Settings > Update Settings > Now

If google play refuses to work, you could try FDROID, there's more than enough stuff on there that works with android versions back to 2.3. Other than that, if you don't manage to get any updates, using a phone with an android version that's that old in a corporate environment seems pretty reckless.

Edit: If you can't get an update from NEC, you're most likely screwed. Nothing on XDA about this phone, so there's no upgrade to one of the community maintained android versions either.

Edited by _Goliard

Come on now.  I'm not THAT incompetent.  If it were a simple matter of changing a setting or reading the easily found manual, I'd not be asking.  And that line in the manual is about updating one specific app.

As far as the corp access...  These aren't generally available, first off.  It's one of the reasons I'm testing.  Second, to function as anything other than DECT phones, I have to specifically authorize them to be on my ship's network.  

Are you sure that's the full model number? I can't find any reference to it on GSMArena.

Can you tell me which phone it is from this list: http://www.gsmarena.com/nec-phones-12.php

If you can find it there then I can scrounge about on XDA Developers and see if there's anything that might help you.

I'm inclined to agree as 4.04 executes on Dalvik whereas anything past 4.4 will run on ART. In theory you'd think it's possible to update to the last version of KitKat but without knowing more about the device you'll never be 100%.

There don't seem to be ANY firmware updates available for this device.

It doesn't matter whether you try FTP or anything because there is nothing for you to update the device with. 

You're stuck on Android 4.0.4 and this, my friend, is why you do not buy any devices that don't have an entry on XDA Developers unless you're happy with being stuck on whatever backward version of Android they come installed with.

Fortunately, there was no buying involved.  At least on my side.  Purely a product test for the company.  I may try to do something anyway, as I've basically been told try break it now.  

6 hours ago, Deusmortis said:

Fortunately, there was no buying involved.  At least on my side.  Purely a product test for the company.  I may try to do something anyway, as I've basically been told try break it now.  

Might I suggest a drill?