WhatTheSkara

How to make your toonmate play better?

Question

I know, the question seems stupid but it isn't.

I often play with a friend, he's an average player (51% wr) that can sometimes pull off some stupidly good plays.

When we play I always try to get him in a position where he can deal damage or have an impact on the game (unless I'm tryharding for something, in that case gtfo pleb) but he is often too passive and doesn't really do much..

One example: we had luck with matchmaking, getting my m48 and his leo on prokhorovka without arty or any scary t10 TD, I told him to go hill and I went to the middle, I spotted a lot of tanks, both crossing the railway on the south and coming up to the middle.

He had plenty of tanks to shoot at, yet he ended up dying early with less than 2k damage.

We won the match because we had a great overmatch on the hill and on middle, I ended up with almost 7k combined..

I feel like he plays passively on purpose when we platoon, to either let me do stuff or just because he's afraid of fucking up something..

What can I do to make him play better? I tried to play a different class than his tank (me light/heavy/TD while he plays a med or vice versa) but it doesn't work well.. I also try to give him my position so he could farm more damage, doesn't work either..

I often give him tips on the fly on how to approach a certain situation..

Tonight we had 1 game on cliff in pref mm tier 8s, hell, I did 3x his damage while tanking shots for him, yet he lost almost all his hp in the first engagement (and he was 30/40m behind me) and ended up with barely 1k damage (he was playing sp while I was in a 112), we also had a game on himmelsdorf, he was in his type 59 while I took my 34-3 for a spin, he stayed like half the battle trading badly with heavies on the 8 line while I pushed down the railway, he kept getting farmed by a lone 34-2 on the hill, told him to move and come my way but he stayed there (he lost pretty much 1k hp without dealing anything), even though he had plenty of ways to avoid taking damage..

I really enjoy playing with him, I just can't get him to be less scared of pixel tonks.

Any tips?

Edit: now that I had some good sleep I can be more detailed.

We also had an argument on how we threw a game on prok in our E50Ms, seems like he doesn't get what "don't overextend" means, I told him to go middle with me since there was no arty, we were in the exact same spot, he almost died at the start while I managed to keep my hp intact until the end, when it was 1 vs 8 (and ofc I'm not x3n4 or decha, so I got swarmed and died).

By the time I got swarmed I had about 4k damage and 3k spotting, he got less than half..

After I tried to explain him to not peak the middle ridge when there are 2 183s and a e4 camping the 1 line, how to kite ridges to spot without exposing your whole flat side, why I did so much damage and such..

Then we had a game on airfield, I was in my glorious fascist box tank (E100) while he was in his E5, we went to the usual brawling area where all the game is decided, somehow he got rekt by the permaspotted jpze camping in D9, he did some really bad trades against a kranvagn and then he started raging at everyone like it wasn't his fault..

We ended up losing badly (6-15) because our team did some true Tomosa trades and then he spent 10 minutes telling me airfield is a good map and prok is shit because it's open..

He's here on the forum, not telling his name because this is not a name and shame thread, it's a simple help request for a friend that has some potential to actually become good..

Asking purples because I'm sure you mentored your friends on getting better, wanna hear from you some tips on how to do it myself..

5 answers to this question

***Green shitter alert***

When I toon with uni's, I tend to over think a lot of simple moves.  Nobody likes looking bad (well nobody worth a piss) and especially nobody wants to look bad when playing with somebody they admire.  If I get a good position, I tend to dig in like a tick and ignore the map focusing on cupola's and lower plates.  If I get a bad position, I tend to get super conservative and 'protect HP' to the point of paralysis.  If my purple buddy says push or lets get aggressive, then I'm going to become the aggro-est aggro in all of yolo-land.

Basically, I'm going to do what I think you would do X10.  I have no illusions of carrying you, but I really REALLY am going to try-hard to not be carried too much.  The thing is, I am going to use half of my cranial CPU over-analyzing everything I do to try and emulate shit that comes naturally to you.  I onced asked a unicum platoon-mate "OK, so what are we doing right now?"  His answer, "driving around really fast shooting red tanks, and not getting shot as much" pretty much fried my widdle bwain. 

I give a lot of fucks, so YMMV if your friend does not, but if he is trying to get better your best bet is to play tanks he feels good at and not let him overdo the try-hard too much.  Paradoxically, I have a hard time learning anything if I'm concentrating too hard on not making a mistake.  @CraBeatOff platoons with turds like me sometimes - ask him.

Not a purple but i will try to help. I had a friend that played with me but he was afraid sometimes to make a move because he was did not want to embarrass himself in front of me. So maybe he is afraid of you judging him?

Or maybe he turns off his brain waiting for your suggestion so he becomes too passive in the meanwhile. This means that maybe he is too dependant on you. 

Does he watch you while you play (after he dies), tries to improve trough streamers ecc. Does he want to improve really or he just like playing the game with you. And how does he play solo?

Yesterday i played 2 battles on his account to get LT 15.2 and SPG 15.2 done (easiest 15th missions ever done, took 1 game each to do, also clicking is hard with the new arty :MingLee:)..

I think part of the reason why he can't hit shit lies in his tanks loadout.

On pretty much none of his tanks he runs vstab (talking about tier 10s), which is stupid imo considering how many shots you take on the move or not fully aimed.

On some he doesn't even have 100% crews (apparently he retrained for credits so he had like a 4 skills crew with 87% on major qualification)..

He watches a lot of streamers, especially skill4ltu (and i get why he doesn't run vstab on t10 tanks :notlikethis:) and yes, he watches me when he dies, but he doesn't focus on what i do, where i go, what i shoot and why, he just focuses on the enemy tanks around me (that i can clearly see with my eyes or on the minimap)..

i told him what to change on every single tank, let's see if things change.. maybe he'll stop running optics on a IS6 :kappa:

Regarding platooning, I’ve always found it better to just play your game, stick to your style and what works for you. Whenever I try to actually try to somehow tailor my play to my toon mate things go wonky for me. I just end up not playing very well most of the time. The other thing is I start overthinking my moves because I’m constantly trying to keep track of where and what my toon mate is doing. It all just kind of falls apart for me. However, when I stick to my own game and just let my toon mate do his thing, then I will usually have good/great performances.

Now, as far as getting your toon mates to play better themselves, that’s a different matter, at least in my opinion. They need to learn what works for them. Some of my regular platoon mates are pretty aggressive most of the time we play, that’s their style. However, in my opinion it’s too aggressive as they end up dying a bit too early in our games. However, when things work out for them they will have pretty great games but unfortunately they have trouble sustaining consistency that way and so one game they will have like 4k or 5k damage and the next two or three games they will have under 1k damage per game. I, on the other hand, prefer a more calculated and balanced approach, I try to be aggressive when I need to or more conservative if the situation calls for that, and so I tend to have more consistent results. This is something myself and my platoon mates have talked about and how our styles differ. So I think all in all your toon mates need to find what works for them and they need to stick to it while you stick to what works for you.

2 hours ago, DirtyACE7 said:

Now, as far as getting your toon mates to play better themselves, that’s a different matter, at least in my opinion. They need to learn what works for them.

yeah, i guess so, need him to find his way..

the problem is that he wants to play tanks he's not good at, because he watched good players getting good results and he wants to get good results as well..

if he sees Decha getting 10k in a leo1, he wants to get 10k in a leo1 even though he's not good at leo1 stuff (neither i am, considering my stats in the 30b), so he keeps playing leo1 until he runs out of credits.

I'll try to not give any particular shit on what he's doing, but i'm afraid he'll be even more passive because he doesn't know what to do on certain scenarios..