Sign in to follow this  
Psycodiver

Final review of T3 Battleships

A couple months back I decided to revisit the T3 Battleships, but instead of normal seal clubbing I limited myself to zero skill point captain, no camo, no flags, and no premium consumables. This stemmed from a conversation about the importance of all that good stuff. I'll bring up my thoughts on this in a separate thread though. I played all the T3 BBs a total of 10 times each, I took a month or so break and played the last few games with the recently boosted range of those ships: I will say all 4 BBs are slow, outside of the SC they have crap range, they turn slow and they burn easily. Also I noticed I was up tiered allot more often around 63% of the time, not terrible but noticable

South Carolina: Honestly I have a soft spot for this ship, if you look at my stats I have played this ship allot and I'm hovering around the top 10 best players for this ship, not saying much but yea I like her. That said she plays exactly like every USN BB up to T7, if anything she plays allot like the Colorado and I love the Colorado which is probably why I like it. Her speed sucks but if you know how to work around it then it won't be a issue, I won't explain the work around because if you can't figure it out then this isn't the ship line for you. Her new range is 14km+ which means it can out range almost every ship it faces, but the dispersion is pretty bad at that range though I did nearly one shot a cruiser at max range. I wish I documented damage per shot because I felt this ship did more damage per shell, they just seem to wreck anything it hit. Other than that she is fairly soft, and easy to damage, her citadel protection is alright when angled. I averaged 692 Base XP, 35,323 damage, 1.2 kills, 60% WR, and survived 60%

Kawachi: I hated this ship the first time through and she is just as bad as ever. Its dispersion feels worse of all the T3 BBs and even when the shells hit they seem to shatter allot. Range is pathetic and really not much better since the buff, her armor feels about the same as SC though. She doesn't play like any of the other IJN BBs which is kind of weird since the SC and Nassau play like their later sisters. I dunno she felt sluggish and took the longest to pass through because I did not enjoy her at all even though I did pretty alright with her. I averaged 757 base XP, 37712 damage, 1.5 kills, 60% WR, and survived 50%

Nassau: This is a better Kawachi, she feels tougher and her guns are about as bad but fire faster so makes up for that, Her range is about as bad also but not nearly as noticeable. Keeping her guns singing is the key to this ship, where as with the SC and Kawachi I waited for perfect broadsides, the Nassau I just kept firing. In all honestly this is the best tech tree T3 BB, it may not be my favorite but she is the best because she is the easiest to play, your almost citadel proof even while sailing broadside. I did lose and die more but I did more damage which I think is because I was more aggressive with it more than the other 2 BBs probably because of her fast firing guns and tough armor. This ship is almost idiot proof. I averaged 646 base XP, 43,276 damage, 1.5 kills, 50% WR, and survived 40%

Konig Albert: I only have a couple battles in this ship and I didn't hold it to the same rules either because this ship is hilariously overpowered for T3, when top tiered is just dirty and when bottom tier isn't bad because it is a slightly nerfed T4 BB. Really I dunno what WG was thinking when she put this ingame. This is the best T3 BB and possibly the best T3 ship period.

Next I will be tackling T4 BBs mainly because I want another swing at the Myogi

T4 I think the Arkansas Beta is the best. Even better than the Nikolai. She has 2.6 km range advantage and you can hit stuff at range, so you can kite the Nikolai around and sink it.

The Arkansas Beta is a strong ship for sure, wish I owned one. Wyoming is very strong now also thanks to the range upgrade, I would gladly take it to t6 matches now. I'm just plain dreading rebuying the Myogi though

My intent is NOT to be rude ....

Tier 3 premium  Konig Albert is the equivalent of a tier 4 Konig in tier 3 MM.  If you like low tiers  ( for God's sake WHY? ), just play it to farm pubbie tiers.  Tier 4 is  a ping pong match between being OP in a tier 4 MM or being the team bitch in a tier 5 mm.  So ... pick your poison is the order of the day.

I am close to 2,800 matches in WoWs - a small number really,  yet I already have two tier 10 ships and am close to three more based on my xp towards the Minotaur, Grosser Kurfurst and the Montana.  The gameplay at tier 10 is sometimes punishing due to the low skill grinders that populate that tier currently.  In  reality, it is far more discriminatory than the low tiers however, and far better for spending ones time. 

;tldr - tier 3 has some value when you are brand new to the game - after 1k matches - avoid it like the plague.

When someone i know who is new is grinding out the lower tiers, I will tag along in a Mikasa, K. Albert, Nikolai or Clemson. Not to seal club, no sir, nuh uh, wouldn't think of it. Also, I only play the Fujin, Kami, and Gremy for *captain training*. That's my story anyway.

(PS it's fun to drop your Bismarck or later captain into the K.Albert.)

edit: the SC is pretty good for it's tier, at least with some experience. The Colorado comparison is very apt.

4 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

;tldr - tier 3 has some value when you are brand new to the game - after 1k matches - avoid it like the plague.

I wouldn't quite go that far. While I wouldn't want to play tiers 2 - 4 all the time I do try to play a few battles at those tiers every week just for some lulz. Everyone is much more derpy at those tiers then they are at higher tiers, so they tend to do a lot of radom ass shit that can be entertaining as hell.

4 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

I wouldn't quite go that far. While I wouldn't want to play tiers 2 - 4 all the time I do try to play a few battles at those tiers every week just for some lulz. Everyone is much more derpy at those tiers then they are at higher tiers, so they tend to do a lot of radom ass shit that can be entertaining as hell.

I play low tier every once in a while because if the chaos, it's very amusing and I've seen more close matches in low tier than anything. It's a nice boost over when the night is rough. I will say this the KA can not turn for shit, I found this out during a DD heavy game, the other BBs would have done better but torpedo beats is not something the KA does

When I need stress relief ( which is fairly common ) I turn to tier 5 DD's ( Gremy or Kamikaze ) or the tier 7 Belfast/Scharnhorst combo.  The game play is so unpredictable in tier 3/4 that I actually play worse than I do at the higher tiers - so it's not a stress reliever for me. 

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:27 AM, Jarkorsis said:

T4 I think the Arkansas Beta is the best. Even better than the Nikolai. She has 2.6 km range advantage and you can hit stuff at range, so you can kite the Nikolai around and sink it.

Isn't the Nikolai faster by 2 - 3 knots?