Sign in to follow this  
CarbonWard

VPN required?

So i've been getting abnormally high ping on EU lately, and i didn't know why(usually 120ish, now 150)

Did a Pingplotter test, and turns out im being rerouted to Kansas then florida before being routed to France, so my question before paying 10-20 bucks is, will VPN help me with this or is this entirely controlled by my ISP?

Sont3nO.png

A VPN would help only assuming that you can connect to it before your ISP routes you the same way.

Usually this only happens when a node (or several) owned by the ISP is down. It's cheaper to route traffic to other nodes it controls or someone they have a deal with, than it is to try to go through another providers node. Usually a call to the ISP can at least give you info on why your connection is going everywhere. They are almost certainly aware of the routing.

Your connection is controlled wholly by your ISP until it connects to a new network (like a VPN), so you have to be able to get from your computer through your ISP to the VPN without getting routed all over the map or it won't make any difference.

The problem is you don't really know where your ISP's node is down or backed up. It would be better to try a free VPN that offers to route through the same location as a paid VPN, before going straight to a paid VPN. Also, many paid VPN's offer connection tests before you have to pay for them.

I tried to use a VPN to route me around some of the packet loss issues NA had over the month or so that 9.17 released. Like @Android25 mentioned above, it only works if you are able to circumvent the nodes that are causing the packet loss in the first place. I still ended up getting routed through the shit node on the way to the VPN so it was basically useless. 

I use a paid vpn. The network I play on blocks game servers because apparently they use too much bandwidth. Streaming YouTube and other videos apparently does not.

I use nord vpn, and in the server list it shows distances to the server. I have to use TCP protocol to bypass the block, which ups the ping.

My experience is that VPNs rarely improve performance when it comes to gaming and are more likely to hinder it.

You've completely misread the pingplotter graph.

That's not Florida, that's London. The sudden leap in latency is the transatlantic crossing from New York (hence the JFK reference) to London.

And that's not Kansas, it's Virginia.

That's also not France, that's Frankfurt.

It's common for large scale carriers to use airport codes to mark the cities, since they should be unique. IAD is Washinton-Dulles Airport in VIrginia, and of course JFK is New York, DCA is Washington DC.

Thus your traffic is being handed off from Rogers to Cogent in Virginia, goes up the coast to NY and across a transatlantic link. There's no sign of a routing issue here.

Whatever the reason for any packet loss you're seeing, it lies elsewhere.