ThomChen114

Why we haven't gotten the Chieftain, and why we shouldn't at the moment

20 posts in this topic

A thought just occurred to me regarding the current state of the game, and what it means for the Chieftain (if and when it is introduced to the game).

Players have been clamoring for this thing ever since the British tanks were introduced, but perplexingly with the tier 10 having some experimental and non-existent prototypes, the FV215b and the FV4202. They replaced the FV4202 with the excellent Centurion Action X, but the FV215b remains. Now, the FV215b I'm sure has its utility and fans, and it does fit the role it was introduced in as a support heavy tank, reliant more on its firepower than its protection (though I believe it did receive some buffs in the latter department many patches ago)

But with the recent over buffs to some of the super heavy tanks such as the Maus and Type 5, and more new super heavy tanks that share the WG trend of having little to no frontal weak spots, and the Swedish S tanks that can auto-ricochet 120mm caliber guns from the front, the FV215b has remained largely unchanged. 

Which brings me back to the Chieftain. If they keep the FV215b and introduce the Chieftain in a new British heavy tank branch, what role is it supposed to play? Will it just be another support heavy tank like the FV215b? Or will it be a heavy medium tank, better suited to roll along with the medium tanks (assuming it has the mobility to do so). With the proliferation of HEAT, it would be nice to get the Chieftain with the Stillbrew armor (perhaps as an elite/upgraded turret?), in order to improve its frontal turret armor protection and remain competitive. 

The only recent changes that I'd considered an upside to introducing the Chieftain now would be the arty changes, since prior to that the Chieftain would get rekt by a CGC etc

with WG's massive hard-on for more super heavy tanks, I don't feel any enthusiasm for them to bring in the Chieftain. It'd probably end up getting stomped on by, what should be obsolete by-comparison, the Maus.

The chieftain is too historical for WG to bring back, plus it has weak spots in the form of its hull, both of which go against WGs balance policy.

It'd be more medium like T110E5 with better mobility, superior gun (DPM, gun depression, no HEAT) but with paper frontal hull armor and a real weakspot on the top of the turret.

They are probably planning to introduce Chieftain...but one of these:

1. It will be CW reward and complete trash.

2. It will be part of new heavy tank line which have practically unplayable tier 5-8 and tier 9 has unplayable stock grind. 17pdr at tier 8 probably

3. It will be tier 10 p2w cashgrab premium tank. Ofc with black paintjob.

That being said, i guess #2 is most likely. They actually rumored about 2nd UK HT line at some point with Valiant and stuff like that but dunno. They are new lines for this year. Its strong candidate as one of the lines among with Jap TDs, 2nd French HT line, Swedish meds and new LT line (most likely for brits).

IIRC they said somewhere that new nations are not coming this year (wotexpress and never got translated into either TAP or riturdstatusreport)

1 hour ago, leggasiini said:

1. It will be CW reward and complete trash.

That's probably the other half of the Chieftain, the T95/Chieftain instead of the Chieftain/T95 CW reward. 

Fuck me that shit is confusing. I probably got them the wrong way round too for all i know. 

It'll just be a medium tank that trades top speed and camo for a lot of effective armour and depression. AKA fun.

Anyway, the first reply is the only relevant one. 

45 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

My bet is it would be a heavium like the E5/113. Similar gun to FV215B. 

Think slower, bit more armored STB-1 with much better acc and gun handling, and APCR as prem.

They are gonna introduce it as a reward for some shitty gamemode.

Not before buffeing the cupola and lower plate to 250mm, the upper plate to 120mm (with 300mm beak ofc) and the sidearmor to 100mm nominal thickness - because customers want a good chieftain and WG cares about its customers.

21 minutes ago, leggasiini said:

Think slower, bit more armored STB-1 with much better acc and gun handling, and APCR as prem.

I was more thinking a mix between the 113 and AX with the 215Bs gun. or the E5 and AX. 

1 hour ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

Just look at WoT Xbox version. 

Why wouldn't it be just like its Xbox manifestation?

48 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

I was more thinking a mix between the 113 and AX with the 215Bs gun. or the E5 and AX. 

Think slow AX but with the 215b's gun, and APCR standard and prem.

Damn, so many allusions.

2 minutes ago, ZXrage said:

I think this one is most accurate statement so far

14 hours ago, ZXrage said:

this has always been what the Chieftain felt like when I played on the Xbox in game events. It holds up quite well, when played accordingly. 

I have the chieftain on console (and a xim4 to use a mouse and keyboard) it plays like a hull down heavy, kinda like an e5 but without the tumor. and with 113 speed, hulls weak tho vs the E5s still enough to bully 8s and some 9s tho. gun handlings so good tho, you dont even worry about poking a ridge to trade, gun handling is 215b level but with 113 speed... its not the most balanced tank and doesnt perform the greatest if not hull down tho.still in this day and age who gives a shit about balance, certainly not WG

On 5/22/2017 at 4:00 PM, leggasiini said:

They are probably planning to introduce Chieftain...but one of these:

2. It will be part of new heavy tank line which have practically unplayable tier 5-8 and tier 9 has unplayable stock grind. 17pdr at tier 8 probably

I'd three mark the Valiant if i could.

4 hours ago, lavawing said:

I'd three mark the Valiant if i could.

the irony that it's considered the worst designed tank ever created

i'd probably go as far as 2 mark it.

The Chieftain is actually in the client and I've seen gameplay of it (A player accidentally got it credited to his account and uploaded a twitch VoD that got spread around until WG found it and took it down).

What I can say about what I saw is that the gun acts roughly the same as the 215b (RoF felt slower, but that just might his shit crew), but the armour actually seems worse. The turret placement means it can hulldown much better but in terms of gameplay it felt way more similar to the Action X rather than the current 215b. It's more mobile but pretty much garbage armour (in the game at least) meaning it's a support medium rather than a support heavy. 

The best way to describe it is probably a single shot 50B with a good turret, which is still pretty interesting but not exactly the best replacement for the meta. I think the FV215b still fits better

http://tanks.gg/compare/chieftain?t=fv215b

It trades some stuff for other stuff. Slightly better DPM but worse bloom on movement, for example. Unfortunately the 3D models aren't loading for me so I can't look at the armor shaping but I'm guessing it would be not great.

9 hours ago, StranaMechty said:

http://tanks.gg/compare/chieftain?t=fv215b

It trades some stuff for other stuff. Slightly better DPM but worse bloom on movement, for example. Unfortunately the 3D models aren't loading for me so I can't look at the armor shaping but I'm guessing it would be not great.

All loading for me.

Cupola is bloody huge and HE pennable (100mm or less). Flat bit on one side of the turret where its ~270 effective. Above the gun is shit with minimum 230mm. Other than that 350+mm effective with over 1k zones :D

Hull is shit except for on the cheeks where you get 280+mm. UFP flat effective is min 200 just above the weld. The weld itself is just over 90mm effective. HAH. 

152mm guns overmatch sides.