Sgt. Pepper

Looking to get into boats, what are good ranked boats to go for?

After the WoT fiasco, I'm deciding to look away from the game and instead take a look at other games, specifically this one.

I was looking at the ranked battles thread, and it looks like tier 6 is going to be selected for ranked. So, my question.

What boats are worth going for at tier 6 for ranked? I know for certain I'm going to be grinding the IJN CAs, USN DDs and KM BBs for a varied group of boats, but are there any tier 6s that are notable? Can we even get a tier 6 ranking @OnboardG1?

One of the main differences in WoWs from WoT is that premium ships are generally equal in ability to non-premium ships.  If you go to Warships Today, and just click on the "ships" dropdown, you can specify tier 6 and the which type ( BB, CA/CL, DD or CV ).  It will then give you the server wide win rate, damage done, games played etc.

Aside from CV's, of which there are exactly two at tier 6 - the top of the list skews heavily to Premium ships and ships that are won in contests.

Top DD's: #1 Shinonome ( in game campaign )  55.41% wr, 32,970 damage.  #2 Anshan ( premium ) 53.41% wr, 24,506 damage.  #3 Ernst Gaede ( normal German DD ) 51.42% wr, 23,818 damage.

The Farragut and the mosh pit of restructured IJN and Soviet DD's are all sub 50% w/r with most doing between 18-20k damage.

The top 3 for CL/CA are either in game campaign rewards or premiums.  The top 4 for BB's are all premiums as well.  Are they really better?  Not as much as it would appear, a lot of it is that peasants can't afford to buy premium ships, or don't commit the time to win them in campaigns, where the committed players do both.  Better players playing these ships is partially why the results look better. 

All four tier 6 main line cruisers can be effective and fun to play in battle.  The three main line BB's are also good ships and fun to play for different reasons.  DD's are kind of a different story, and I will let someone with a little more expertise address those. 

Each season of ranked battles develops its own meta as the season progresses.  Guys like Onboard, Mesrith  and Roller are usually at the fore front of pointing out what they are seeing. 

Based on what I see as useful that you could actually grind towards; the Leander ( tier 6 Brit CL ) might be an unexpected star in ranked compared to it's pub stats.  It is fairly fast, and has fast firing 6" guns but has horrible armor.  To compensate, it gets smoke charges and 8km torps and HEAL - something that is rare at that tier.  The Budyonny is very fast and hits hard, but it has horrible armor as well, it's damage numbers are 3rd at it's tier for cruisers.  Onboard was always a great proponent of the BB Fuso at tier 6, it is fast so it can flex.  the Bayern while not as fast is tankier and better at brawling than the Fuso.  Look at the wiki and find out which current tier 6 IJN DD has the best concealment and torps, it will be useful for capping and torping smoke.  If you want to brawl in cap - the Gaede might be the one to pick over the Soviet or American lines.

Edit Note:  I realize I am not either a Uni or even very good player - so forgive me for chiming in Sgt. pepper - but sometimes even pubbie scum can track the flow of a game and which way it is heading.

:wave:

My 2c

I found the Arizona very good for tier 6. Tanks for a BB with good range and accuracy.  CVs weren't much of an issue on the Asia server.  The New Mex is similar but trades accuracy and armour for better AA.

Warspite and Bayern have 15" shells so they can overmatch other tier 6 BB bow armour, but are more suited as brawlers rather than standoff BBs.

For cruisers, there are a few choices. Aoba as a generalist, but DPM is poor. Torps are good though. Either of the Russians (Budy or Molotov) appear to be a good fit, but I haven't played them in ranked.  Cleveland would still hold up in a heavy CV environment.

For DDs, gunboats generally perform better in ranked than torp DDs.  Anshan would be a good choice, having a nice balance of concealment, guns and 8km Torps.

Edit: average player as well

damn, tier 6.

I used the Mitsuki back when it was a tier 6 for that ranked season, it probably isn't the best choice though. the Budovny might work as well. Fuso is also a possible but not sure. 

Some gut feels:

Warspite is going to be big after the turret buff. Agility to dodge, accurate and good guns, plus only one opponent who can overmatch her armour, while she can punish all battleships. (In WoWS this is referring to some BBs ability to ignore the bow armour and just smash into citadels on well-angled ships. Bayern and Warspite get this ability a tier 'early'.)

As has been said up there, all the cruisers are solid. Leander might end up in a unique spot with the ability to decide caps due to its stealth both in and out of smoke, as well as the heal. Cleveland is a bit basic. But makes up for its basicness with overwhelming firepower. If you're good at controlling sightlines, you'll do fine. For DDs, I'm not sure. I think the Farragut is a good boat played by bads - and will work even better in competitive play. But then again, as has been said up there, the Gaede gets sonar, which is a massive trump card in smoke battles. 

It's worth noting that's there's no Radar at tier 6, which might make the relatively large reach of the Nurnburg's radar important.

My T6 knowledge is a bit outdated but here's a brief rundown:

God Tier:

Warspite: Now with WD40. Roleplay a Yamato in T6 by penetrating everything in tier. Bonus points if you're a fan of slow muzzle velocity guns like I am. Probably my favourite gun in the game. It's also hard as nails provided you don't sail like a potato (ignore reddit, they're stupid). Your damacon strategy is going to be different though because of the fast cooldown/lesser invuln window.

Duca D'Aosta: Troll torpedoes, railguns, pencil citadel. Basically it's a Budyonny that trades a gun, rangesuperior gun layout for better survivability and gun dynamics. 

Farragut: It's a US DD that does US DD things Long smoke, great DPM, workable torps.  The only downside is the lack of defensive AA which is kind of RIP in ranked when you encounter a good carrier player.

Budyonny: Good guns, punchy (but short range) torps and a citadel that's impossible to hit. Has huge range too. The AA lets it down a bit but who cares when you have this much dakka.

Shinonome: "Go fuck yourself smoke meta, I have 9 torps". Also has reasonable guns (build as a gunboat and roleplay a Q ship for funtimes). It's pretty much a fubuki of old but with nerfs to put it at T6 (which tells you how wank the old fubu was).

Good Tier:

Cleveland: Great AA, obliterating DPM, made of wet tissues. If you're 1v1 against a competent BB at the end of the game you're probably dead. That's the only thing stopping it being top tier (I dislike ships that can't close the deal at the end of the game).

Leander: The AA isn't great, it has no HE, it's squishy and it's slow. What saves it are smoke, hydro and torps. That makes it a good team support ship and gives it a tonne of bite against larger warships.

Molotov: "Lets put T9 guns on a T6 ship!". "DA TOVARISCH!". Made of paper, turns like an oil tanker. But whatever, you have 180mms of Stalin bias. 

Anshan/Gnevny: T6 Gremy. Solid long range fighter but you're going to struggle to contest caps because of your amazing turret traverse. If you're the only DD on the team this is not going to be very pleasant. 

Fuso: Lots of guns. That's all you have. You're not fast, you're not maneuverable, you have no AA and you're not tanky. But you have 12 14 inch guns so you can erase people from mid-range. However, times have changed and there are a lot more tools to deal with you than there were two years ago. It's a strong ship but you're just slightly too easy to counter by Shinonomes, CVs and 155m cruisers for my liking. 

Arizona: Better sigma than the New Mex makes the AZ a slightly better pick for ranked IMO. You have more consistent guns in exchange for slightly worse AA. Plus I like the ballistics slightly better (slower shells). YMMV. You're too slow to be top tier. 21 knots is painful no matter what the ship.

Mediocre Tier:

New Mex: Could swap with the Arizona depending on how CV infested your meta is and how you like the gun characteristics. Still too slow. Hard as nails though.

Fubuki: Better reload rate, torp range and torp damage than the Shino. Unfortunately you get one less turret which is bad for a line that relies on gun alpha to win DD fights.You will need to fight gun duels in Ranked (and the game in general) and the Fubu loses every time. The difference in torps is negligible (2km doesn't matter that much and 2k damage matters even less). The Shino is a better ship (plus you can put your Yugo or Shima captain on it for lols). 

Bayern: Hard to kill and can dance. It has an adequate secondary battery which is good because the main battery is bloody awful. Can't hit anything at long range and has weird arcs anyway making aiming difficult. Has too high a velocity at short range so you overpen all the things. A lot of my clanmates really like it. I hate it with the heat of a thousand suns. 

Potato Tier:

Nurnburg: Used to be alright, now it's total shite, walking in a Nurnburg wonderland. Lacks the punch of the Russians, the DPM of the Americans and the team versatility of the RN. Made of paper, doesn't have 360 noscope Bruno turret. Avoid.

Hatsuharu: Do you enjoy having a tiny spread of torpedoes that never hits anything? Do you like low DPM guns that do no damage? No? That's okay, no one likes the Hatsuharu. I built it as a gunboat because I got so frustrated with the shit torpedoes. Being able to gun down anything short of a Farragut at <5km was funny. But really it's bad. 

CVs:

Ryujo has more strike power. Indy has a good AS setup. I dunno I'm bad at carriers.

There are a lot of potentially strong tier 6s for ranked. Because there isn't radar just hydro I feel like ships bringing smoke will probably make a strong showing plus ships with torpedoes will be deployed as a possible counter. CVs might do well if only because the number of ships with savage AA isn't very large at this tier. If CVs do appear in numbers I expect a surge in Clevelands and possibly New Mexs as counters. Probably ships that have utility in a variety of areas will do well because they have the flexibility to adapt to different enemy team compositions. I expect the Farragut to be a popular choice in this regard for DDs for it's strength as a generalist and ability to cover teammates with long lasting smoke. The Leander too for similar reasons will probably be well represented.

BBs will probably split into those who brawl and those who snipe. So Warspite and Fuso and Arizona will likely be popular choices.

Get  someone to throw you an Invite.  You get tons of Free XP (80,000) when you hit tier 6.  And a couple free boats:

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/

Click "More on Rewards"

cruiser_class.png DIANA (TIER II)

Rewarded for playing one battle
texas.png

battleship_class.png TEXAS (TIER V)

Rewarded for the first battle in a tier VI ship
More on Rewards

ll ships come with a free Port slot and a Commander with three Skills.

USS Texas comes with these additional rewards:

icon_slot_Ojtpop3.pngPort slot
icon_credits.png 3,000,000 Credits
icon_exp.png 80,000 Free XP
icon_flags.png 25 of every type of Signal Flag

In order to receive rewards like Signal Flags, you'll need to be Service Record level 8. To receive Free XP, then you must be Service Record level 5.

6 hours ago, bathoz said:

Some gut feels:

Warspite is going to be big after the turret buff. Agility to dodge, accurate and good guns, plus only one opponent who can overmatch her armour, while she can punish all battleships. (In WoWS this is referring to some BBs ability to ignore the bow armour and just smash into citadels on well-angled ships. Bayern and Warspite get this ability a tier 'early'.)

Three, really. Warspite, Bayern, and everyone's favorite: Mutsu! (shite penetration doesn't matter as much with brute overmatch). Will be similar to T7 BB play honestly, have to be very aware of angling and try to bounce as much as possible.

edit: also, Nurnberg is getting 360 turrets and KM cruisers T4 and up are getting the wank German BB HE pen (1/4 vs 1/6, shell size in mm/armor thickness in mm).

Mutsu is probably what I'll be using, because I find she can whack RNCLs nicely with the lower pen, Molotov was absolutely brutal cruiser killer for me last tier 6 season, but I'm not sure how this one will play out. 

6 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Shinonome: "Go fuck yourself smoke meta, I have 9 torps". Also has reasonable guns (build as a gunboat and roleplay a Q ship for funtimes). It's pretty much a fubuki of old but with nerfs to put it at T6 (which tells you how wank the old fubu was

*immediately starts hard grinding for it*

Im nearly done with the campaigns.  I didnt know it was that good, i've only used DDs in ranked and the Hatsu is pretty meh. (i used Akatsuki in last season)

1 hour ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Molotov was absolutely brutal cruiser killer for me last tier 6 season, but I'm not sure how this one will play out. 

I've been enjoying the Molotov lately and you're right in that it's a brutal killer of cruisers. I'll probably give the Molotov a whirl for ranked.

A couple of left field choices:

Perth - similar to the Leander, except that it has more usable smoke IMO, plus the ability to fire HE makes it better against angled BBs.

Graf Spee - probably too slow for the meta, but the 283s make it a very good cruiser killer, and it had surprising good Torps.

Wow everyone is forgetting the Dunkerque, good guns (best reload and some of the best penatration for the tier plus broken HE), best BB speed, crap armor and AA though

Warspite and Bayern with 15" gun overmatch and don't overlook the secondary builds 7.6 km range with flag on them.  Fuso speed and 10 guns with 21+ km make a nice choice too.

Cleveland is great and tough to citadel, but lacks close in punch with no torps.  The great AA somewhat compensates.  The Graf Spee while slow can be compensated with speed flags but the 11" guns and 300 ish degree spread 8 km torpedo it's tough when angled and can give BBs a rough go up close.

I'll probably just Fuso like usual, the only BBs that've historically given me any trouble was the Arizona due to its armor and sigma/# of guns. Though with the traverse buff Warspite has become very very attractive, so who knows. But Fuso still has the RoF/# of guns advantage, and if you shoot turrets/barbettes most other BBs get wrecked pretty fast. Bayerns were second only to Clevelands on 'ship I farmed damage off of'.

But if different types of ships are needed I do have a Farragut, Nurnberg, and Graf Spee.

41 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

Wow everyone is forgetting the Dunkerque, good guns (best reload and some of the best penatration for the tier plus broken HE), best BB speed, crap armor and AA though

I don't really know what to think of Dunk in ranked. She has a lot of upsides, but I feel like she's condemned to be bow on in ranked because to shift position quickly and take advantage of her speed she has to show broadside. When there's only a couple players per side you get that much more attention on you so it's easy for doing that to be fatal. And her bow can't stop the 15" and larger guns IIRC.

50 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

I didn't see a lot of them the last time ranked was tier 6 but the few times I did I was in my New Mexico or Fuso and was able to punish them pretty easily. I think one of the reasons people haven't mentioned it yet is it's only really strong in pretty specific situations and doesn't have a lot of survivability if it does get caught out of position.

Dunkerque has the speed but not the side armor to take advantage of it. 

Arizona, while I love her and she's got great guns, she is just too damn slow for team battles, and you have to choose between the Range mod and the AA mod.

My top 3 BB choices -

Fuso is fast. Has 10 14" guns with great range, decent armor if angled.  She can kite other BB's and flex well. Plus I always remember her from the beginning of the movie Tora Tora Tora, even though it was a scale wooden mock up for the movie.

You can run the Warspite without the Turret Traverse mod which was very necessary before the buff while hampering its ROF, and run the Secondary mod instead for up close when the main turret traverse can get dicey at times (but it's still better than before the buff with the Traverse mod).

Bayern is just tough. It has good range, 15" guns that pen,  good range on the guns, decent speed, and is prime for a secondary build. The only downside is the guns can be derpy at times.

11 hours ago, NightmareMk9 said:

Get  someone to throw you an Invite.  You get tons of Free XP (80,000) when you hit tier 6.  And a couple free boats:

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/

Click "More on Rewards"

From what I see on reading that page, you can also "recruit" back players who haven't been in WoWS for a while?  If true... I'll be a recruit...

13 hours ago, cheereereerios said:

Three, really. Warspite, Bayern, and everyone's favorite: Mutsu! (shite penetration doesn't matter as much with brute overmatch). Will be similar to T7 BB play honestly, have to be very aware of angling and try to bounce as much as possible.

edit: also, Nurnberg is getting 360 turrets and KM cruisers T4 and up are getting the wank German BB HE pen (1/4 vs 1/6, shell size in mm/armor thickness in mm).

Honestly, I forgot the Mutsu existed. Sure, I guess it'll be decent. But I don't have remotely the information about it to be certain about that. Still think the Warspite has all the tools to be better.

Regarding the Dunkerque (which I enjoy playing), it has speed and speed is great – plus the tier takes away some of its fear of overmatch (though I expect to see a lot of Bayerns, it's the type of ships noobs will play). I guess it could work. It's certain the BB best equipped to punish DDs. Thinking about it, it might (miiiight) be a very good carry boat.

Mutsu really is a battlecruiser. Big guns, high speed, relatively flimsy armor by battleship standards. The torpedoes come into play once or twice every blue moon and feel mostly like nerf darts, if they hit.

7 hours ago, Errants said:

From what I see on reading that page, you can also "recruit" back players who haven't been in WoWS for a while?  If true... I'll be a recruit...

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/3eGkkK6

have a ball

The Dunkirk has inconsistent armament and is too vulnerable to HE spam. That said, with the fear of being uptiered taken out of the equation it might not be too bad. You will get skelped by carriers though.

EDIT: The Cleveland is significantly easier to citadel these days. I have little trouble erasing a broadside cleveland compared to a Budyonny or even a Nurnberg (because there's enough armour to fuse my shells).

I dunno about the Bayern, it's regarded as shit for some reason even though I loved it and did great in it, I expect to see allot of Fusos which would make me happy since these maps tend to be smaller which plays to slower ships and I would gladly take the NM over the Fuso, not saying it's not a good ship because I think T6 has the best BB balance if not the best balance across all classes