Luna

Ranked Battles Discussion

@wes it's worth trying it out. You will not get a feel after game or two. (somewhat) good games start from rank 3 and up, although now it is a bit diluted. A lot of bads have actually reached rank 5 on EU, so i can only imagine what happens in lower ranks. First 2 days I didn't see much of the CAXs, on wednesday there were some, and yesterday there were a lot. So I think it might be viable. I spend around 500-600k credits per day of playing, and that is WITH premium account. I play mostly PZ VII, full gold loadout + full premium consumables loadout. You can optimize a bit, i went full tryhard :) 

Like I mentioned, the quality of matches in rank 5 was the lowest yesterday so far, and it will only deteriorate with time as more and more bads reach the rank. But with it, there are more variety of tanks played. Even more of that darn Type 5 HEavy. This resets every week, if I understood correctly, so first 2 - 3 days in rank 5 will be very good games, and later on it will be a bit worse. 

I like the mode a lot since it is finally something different. The meta is completely different, and players are rewarded for consecutive good performance. This is what separate good players from the bad the most. It took me 1 day to reach rank 5, but it took me more than 2 days to earn 2 points on my PzVII. Also what is good, it encourages you actually to play different tanks. To get a tank point you need 5 chevrons in rank 5. But after 2nd point, you need 7 for 3rd. I never thought it will be this good and fun. And it really showed me how actually bad I was, and from these 4 days I improved more than in the past months. 

It was funny, at the end of the session, i just went to play one random game in PzVII. It was easymode roflstomp, with 4k dmg, 5.6k blocked, and 1.2k spotting. 

The only thing i don't agree with are the rewards. 

I was around 450th place in the ranking, but yesterday I played bad, so I dropped to 900 something. Too bad I can only play this week, because the next three weeks I will be away.

2 minutes ago, 3MAJ86 said:

I spend around 500-600k credits per day of playing, and that is WITH premium account. I play mostly PZ VII, full gold loadout + full premium consumables loadout. You can optimize a bit, i went full tryhard :) 

I actually made credits yesterday playing only BC (20/10 loadout and  no food). Didn't really have much troubles getting few chevrons on ranks 3 and 4. Today I'll get time to play and will try to reach rank 5. Is there any reason to play further, if I can reach that?

It's all up to you. For me - yes, but I observe it as a competition, and go full tryhard mode. If you are not driven by it, than probably not. 

When you reach rank 5, then you go for points. When you achieve 5 chevrons on a tank, you get a point for that tank, and a point for your account. Players are ranked based upon this points, and within the same point range, they are ranked by ratio of battles in which you achieve chevron vs. total number of battles. I think you get one point per each rank reached, but not for the first one. Or something like that. I know i have 6 points, and 2 of them I earned on a tank.

And also those points are the condition to be ranked at all. In first stage, one point total is enough, but for the last stage, i think you need 16 (or it was 12, i can't remember, it's all in the game client). 

Other than bonds reward for overall ranking, I think they mentioned that this per tank points will also give you some showoff stuff, can't remember what. 

26 minutes ago, 3MAJ86 said:

And also those points are the condition to be ranked at all. In first stage, one point total is enough, but for the last stage, i think you need 16 (or it was 12, i can't remember, it's all in the game client). 

not sure if that is per stage or cumulative during the season though... getting 16+ in one stage is a full time job, even for the best.

Overall I have really been liking it.  If I were to make a suggestion, though, it would be to either A) make rank 5 require 5 chevs and add a rank 6 that needs 7 chevrons, or at least add 3-5 more chevrons needed going up to 5.

And obviously way early, but any guesses as to how many points we're going to need to stay in the top group?  I want to at least make sure I get the full number of bonds.  Beyond that I'm not sure.

4 hours ago, ProfessorMunroe said:

Overall I have really been liking it.  If I were to make a suggestion, though, it would be to either A) make rank 5 require 5 chevs and add a rank 6 that needs 7 chevrons, or at least add 3-5 more chevrons needed going up to 5.

And obviously way early, but any guesses as to how many points we're going to need to stay in the top group?  I want to at least make sure I get the full number of bonds.  Beyond that I'm not sure.

I got up to rank 5 on day 2, and am still sitting comfortably at rank 170ish right now. Top 10% is now just over 1000 players, so it seems like as long as you hit rank 5 you are guaranteed to get full rewards this week.

However, it looks like with each stage you need to earn more points to enter into the rankings for that stage. Stage 1 (this week) only takes 2, next week is 4, then 8, then 12. So by week 3 it seems like you need to start ranking tanks up if you want to still stay at the top of the leaderboards. Or maybe the average playerbase is so bad that as long as you can just hit rank 5 in the first 2 weeks then you are guaranteed full rewards.

15 hours ago, 3MAJ86 said:

This is what separate good players from the bad the most. It took me 1 day to reach rank 5, but it took me more than 2 days to earn 2 points on my PzVII. Also what is good, it encourages you actually to play different tanks. To get a tank point you need 5 chevrons in rank 5. But after 2nd point, you need 7 for 3rd. I never thought it will be this good and fun. And it really showed me how actually bad I was, and from these 4 days I improved more than in the past months. 

It's been like this for most of us. The game's very different when you're always up against good players driving T10s. Swim or sink.

Just mind blowing how hard you get punished when fucking up even slightly in this mode. And also a lot of good positions in randoms get countered so hard it's not even worth trying to go for them.

Also the blind fire's insane. It feels like I'm always being stream sniped. And I don't even fucking stream.

Maybe it's that I went 2 for 12 tonight, or maybe it''s that light tanks are completely awful in this mode, or maybe it's that I don't like playing meta tanks and spamming gold, or maybe it's that I find campy games to be a total drag, but I definitely haven't had any fun in ranked.

So happy that rank 5 is irrevocable. Finally reached it tonight. I was approaching this all wrong. I was trying to force wins, play aggressive get the good spots early, be one of the first to push. That shit got me nowhere. I always died early with no support, hell there were even a couple of times that we won and I weren't top 12. I changed strategy, now I hang back, and take only safe shots, save HP  for the end game and either I carry it and we win or I'm top 3.

4 hours ago, kariverson said:

So happy that rank 5 is irrevocable. Finally reached it tonight. I was approaching this all wrong. I was trying to force wins, play aggressive get the good spots early, be one of the first to push. That shit got me nowhere. I always died early with no support, hell there were even a couple of times that we won and I weren't top 12. I changed strategy, now I hang back, and take only safe shots, save HP  for the end game and either I carry it and we win or I'm top 3.

and this is exactly why ranked has (at least for me) become a piece of shit.  Everyone has become too scared of dying early, or at some point decides the game is lost and decides to abandon everyone to chai snipe to hope for top 3.

not anyone's fault, just the natural devolution of the mode.

I'd enjoy it a whole lot more if shitters that failed their way to rank 5 stopped bringing out their artilleries. 

Speaking of shitters, I'm struggling to hit 2k dpg in most tanks.

:notlikethis:

6 hours ago, Sapros said:

I'd enjoy it a whole lot more if shitters that failed their way to rank 5 stopped bringing out their artilleries. 

Speaking of shitters, I'm struggling to hit 2k dpg in most tanks.

:notlikethis:

Since rank 5 went to random-land I have only played 261 and t92. And the salt n tears are quite delicious. Havent played these SPGs in randoms, I just have them, but in ranked it evoces such emotions thats its borderline hilarious. Also getting top exp in SPG is quite simple since games have become campfest.

This... The games have become much worse in last 2 days. I installed XVM just to see what the hell is going on. The amount of yellows that reached rank 5 is too much. And most of them do it by bringing their arty, or type 5. 

I am playing quite a lot, since i go on vacation, so the first week is my only chance to play, and to try to reach 16 points in order to be ranked until the end. I don't think i will make it, and for the first time ever I am actually sad that i didn't buy the t10 arty that i have researched. With it, it would be easy mode really. 

I hope wg will get the hint, and nerf arty xp earning... somehow. 

Yesterday was almost as bad as randoms... with purple griefers in their arties. 

8 hours ago, ProfessorMunroe said:

and this is exactly why ranked has (at least for me) become a piece of shit.  Everyone has become too scared of dying early, or at some point decides the game is lost and decides to abandon everyone to chai snipe to hope for top 3.

not anyone's fault, just the natural devolution of the mode.

I tried I really did. There were a couple games that the team followed and made the right decisions etc.. but most of the times when I wanted to play aggressive to force a win it was 1 vs 15 while everyone else was farming damage. I still don't abandon games to chai snipe I just stopped trying to be the one actively trying to win. 

1 hour ago, 3MAJ86 said:

This... The games have become much worse in last 2 days. I installed XVM just to see what the hell is going on. The amount of yellows that reached rank 5 is too much. And most of them do it by bringing their arty, or type 5. 

I am playing quite a lot, since i go on vacation, so the first week is my only chance to play, and to try to reach 16 points in order to be ranked until the end. I don't think i will make it, and for the first time ever I am actually sad that i didn't buy the t10 arty that i have researched. With it, it would be easy mode really. 

I hope wg will get the hint, and nerf arty xp earning... somehow. 

Yesterday was almost as bad as randoms... with purple griefers in their arties. 

Oh those people in type 5s... They hug a corner and stay there all game...

It was WGs opportunity to make a mode without arty. Too bad. Yeah they are annoying but imagine them being like before, it would have been nightmare.

Something is really wrong with XP. In my STB1 I did 1500dmg and 1500spotting one game and I got passed in xp for some reason by a bat with 700dmg and 800spotting! Both no kills. I was confused.

Yea, I stopped playing this mode a few days ago. I got a slow start due to real life and such and was playing with a bunch of yellows and worse. It was so bad with all the camping and non team play I had to quit. I did not find this mode fun at all. I'm too bad to keep up with the big dogs and also not good enough to carry the pubbies so I bowed out early.

The amount of arta in the higher ranks ! :gachi:

Played another 5 games tonight to get the chevron on the 907 and i was lucky in one battles where there was only 2 arta :fat:

So, now that the first round is almost over. Final thoughts? If the reward for being in top 10% remains the same (bonds+shitty stuff from the crate), then it will take 3 rounds to kit out one tank with improved gear. I have almost all researchable t10s. Granted I dont play all of them, it would still take me how long to kit them out? How about fucking no. Meta progression you can pretty much follow looking at this thread. First few days are pretty good. 3rd day is average and last days are random basically. I started with meds, played e5 when the meta slowed down and exclusively arty in the end due to hard camps. Playing arty on day one is pointless because games are way too fast. As inexperienced players fail upwards, arty becomes more of a safer bet. However match quality declines as a result.

Also, this mode is huge money sink. All in all, if everything stays the same (I mean top 10% rewards and crate contents from beta), then I personally will only participate in the first campaign. Effort (time, money) vs reward is just not worth it unless you want to play on the very bleeding edge of competitive play.