Sign in to follow this  
Jarkorsis

HMS Hood

I purchased it today. I play it like a T7 Warspite that has 31.8 knot speed. The guns are pretty accurate. If it is angled correctly, it can absorb a lot of punishment. The guns have a high fire chance, so when you face something bow on you can burn them down. I am 4-1 with it and am averaging 88k plus damage a game. Fun boat.

I love it too - in my Shiratsuyu! It's fast but the turning circle is kek and the ship is huge. I think I had it twice now that one ate all torps from a single volley at almost max range. A feat no other ship at this tier can manage.

I hate it in my Hiryu. With DF up it is entirely immune to DBs but TBs MAY work ok but only if you get the drop distance right. If WG brings ships with such a HUGE difference in dpm between the auras, they need to find a way to display the auras range. If you drop too close your TBs will get shredded.

I find her meh, guns are too derpy for me, and the AA is a gimmick, seriously, i have been de-AA'd (0 anti left ont the ship... at tier7) completely playing the Hood.

I would get rid of the Def AA and give her the Warspite turrets, same shell speed/rotation/accuracy

Strangely, the best use I've found for my AA so far has been sailing under dogfighting fighters and then nuking them out of existence. A very niche use of the stuff, I'll grant.

The guns are as underwhelming as suggested, but the rest of the platform is decent. I'm finding I'm getting fairly consistently high damage, but haven't had one of those enormous games yet.

The guns seem to not get citadels on BB's that often. So, there may be a lack of pen at range. My solution, is alternate HE and AP until I have 2 fires going, then I shoot AP. You can also spread fires around on multiple ships and then shoot AP. It sort of like a DOT class in most fantasy MMO's where spread out your DOTS, then use your small nukes. I am kiting most everything. The only BB that can catch me is the Iowa/Missouri and they usually sit still bow on, so that is not that much of an issue. I stay near max range until latish in the battle when the number of ships thins out some.

I have almost 600 games in the Warspite, so the guns are not a problem for me.

Played through Bismarck campaign with Hood... its OK ship really.

- Decent armor with high hitpoints, can take punishment

- Fast, despite having bad turning rates moves around map well. Compared to Warspite, Hood has better overall manouvrability as it can reposition around map so much faster. Speed compensates bad turning.

- Excellent gun arcs, maybe best feature of ship. All guns can shoot to like 25-30degrees from front. Easy to stay well angled against enemies while still using all guns with just little turns. Also this partly compensates slow turning speed of ship

- AA gimmick works fine and fits ship well. I used mixed build with only captain AA range skill and AA range module, this is enough for lot of time to erase attacking planes. Bombers often die before dropping bombs, some torps get through but as CV often loses all planes attacking Hood they wise up and stay away rest of game. Lot of CV seems to already know that, despite Hood being long easy torpedo target got attacked by CV's pretty rarely.

Negative:

Guns penetration is trash. Accuracy is acceptable though especially vertical spread can be bad ( Hood turrets far each others?). But penetration is just plain bad. Fine when shooting cruisers and soft targets, but getting citadel hits against other BB is really difficult.

Given a choice between this and the other premium tier 7 battlecruiser - the Shinyhorse, I think the Shinyhorse wins hands down as the much better premium and a much superior ship.

Hood needs to keep it's enemies at long range but as many have said, its guns are not reliable at long range. Up close its secondaries are not much at all and it can't turn so it's at a big disadvantage.

Shiny also lacks a long range AP punch but can throw long range HE just as well as the Hood can except with 6 guns on the front and a much higher RoF.

Up close Shiny has better secondaries, a much better turning circle and torpedoes. At close range the torpedoes mean it's no contest.  

I find that if I charge the Hood down head on, the Shiny can kill a full hp Hood for less than a third (often a lot less) of the Shiny's hp. He really struggles to do any damage to a head on Shiny and he can't turn to avoid the torps launched from 3-4 km.

Platform is great but the guns could use a major penetration buff. Secondaries are fairly weaksauce.

Basically, what everyone else has said.

I really haven't had any problem with German BBs, to be honest-I actually feel pretty comfortable brawling with any same tier battleship.

So, in a continuing trend of me liking bad ships, I really enjoy the Hood.

A lot of people (including myself) compare it to the Amagi or Kongo, and that's fair. Big, speedy, surprisingly tanky at an angle.

But I've found a lot of success when also thinking of it like a Konig.

You remember the Konig right? Insane tankiness, good AA, decent (for tier) speed, but an underwhelming number of accurate guns that don't have the best penetration. Playing the Konig takes some unlearning. You have to stop pointing your cannons at the citadel, and start aiming higher, going for upper belt pens instead of big black boxes of death. You have to priortise shooting at smaller targets (as you should in general, but we all know how juicey broadsiding BBs are). And when you do, that weakness – the low pen guns – suddenly becomes the best thing on the ship.

I'm finding the same on the Hood.

The guns are... strange, but still good. The weird gun pen/fuse stuff takes deleting cruisers to the next level, and combined with your armor and surprisingly turning ability, you can really bully them. DDs are also surprisingly easy to kill with these guns. They're not Warspite/Yamato accurate, but the slow shell speed means good verticle dispersion, combined with good horizontal spread and sigma... they can punish at surprising ranges. Against battleships, it's that Konig mantra – hit the upper belt, deal lots of damage. But the special trick here is learning to aim for the upper belt of an angled BB. Your weird pen angles will let you through those a surprising amount of time, and then you get the double and triple hits as you pass through multiple sections. Getting 15k plus volleys on angled BBs with AP happens.

And then of course, there's the toughness. I've had multiple games where I've walked away with north of 100k damage taken. Yes, you're vulnerable to capable people with 16" guns or good CV players, but that's not unusual for tier 7 BBs, and in return you have a ship that stays in the fight longer and gets to deal more damage because of that. (In fact, the Hood has the highest WTR expected damage of any tier 7 BB). 

So, yeah. I think the Hood is a great model for future premiums. They don't have to have an OP gimmick, but play a little differently. More of ships like her, and less of ships like the Kutuzov or the various Carriers.