Psycodiver

Gneisenau

I forgot that I got rid of the Gneisenau, I was probably another 10 battles away from the Bismark anyways but I took the opportunity during the recent mission to win her. The captain for her and now the Bismark is secondary spec with manual secondary skill, which for both ships is very very nice, however for the Gneisenau I went with main gun accuracy module because the guns could use all the help they could get. I found I had to sail under 15km to be remotely hit BBs reliably, even then there were games where RNG gave me the ol' middle finger and I would constantly land salvos all around a enemy ship but then I had games were I deleted a DD at over 15km with AP. Secondaries were pretty good, a little more range would have been nice but I had to sacrifice that range for accuracy. Manual secondary skill really awakens this ship but kinda shows that this ship is a 1 trick pony, its a close range brawler, she can't snipe and I found kiting not very reliable as it is in other ships. Her AA is surprisingly good and is a hidden gem at ruining a CVs day. Time to compare her to other T7 BBs

Sharnhorst: Right up there with the Colorado as my favorite T7 ship. To me its a better ship than the Gneisenau, it can rain more shells out, which means I run the secondary module on her extending her which makes her a better brawler in my opinion but at the same time the Shineyhorse can also fire from long range and still be effective unlike the Gneisenau

Colorado: My favorite T7 ship, excellent AA when speced and her guns hit hard, I found while I may not get reliable citadels, I do rake 10-20k HP off of them with very little bouncing or over pens, its a very easy ship to damage with 16" guns. Obviously you are forced to close range against a 'rado and once you do its a easy target unless the captain knows what their doing. This is a big point for the 'rado and Nagato fighting, STOP TRYING TO FIRE YOUR TORPS OFF!!!! God I can't tell you how many Gneisenau I've sunk because they tried to torp me, you don't have to, its there if you get a chance. For any decent captain their easy to dodge and you have to present a nice broadside for me to take another big chunk of HP off of

Nagato: I feel like the Nagato is a polar opposite to the Gneisenau becauses it a long range sniping ship. Its soft and easy to citadel but has sooooo much better guns, its way more accurate and harder hitting but the former queen of speed is left in the dust because a Gneisenau can close range and kill you at close range, its a matter of whether the Nagato  can cause enough damage to cause the Gneisenau to turn away or kill him as he closes range.

If I had to sum up this ship for me it would be Meh, never had a amazing match with her like I have with other ships but then again I've never been flat out devastated like I have in a  Colorado or Nagato. Shes a good ship for a aggressive captain, a passive captain I would imagine would struggle to do reliable damage, but being aggressive has its own challenges because it puts you into range of other ships torpedeos. Like I said not great but not bad, just very meh

The Bismark is proving to be a much more flexible ship already with a much better ability to fight at range while still being a absolute beast at close range

How times change. When I went through the Nagato people whined about it because it wasn't a Fuso, but they were trying to play it like a Fuso. Aka, sniping from range.

Whereas I found it got much tougher and more dangerous closer in.

Re: the Gneisenau. I disliked it. Despite the speed, incredible AA suite, torpedoes and great armour, the guns just let me down too often. People who whine about Hood guns seem to have forgotten how rancid these are.

I had completely stalled on this ship, and am glad I was able to skip out through the campaign.

I've found the opposite, Nagato has poor armor around the B turret, and tends to take citadels there, even while angled well. Not as bad as the old A hull(Mutsu), but still rather common. The real selling point is the guns, punchier than Colorado, and accurate. And the sequential firing secondaries are mesmerizing to watch, though I don't fully recommend using them, as it isn't reliable damage, better to stay around 10-14km.

I've just finished the Colorado grind, which was the last tier 7 BB grind for me (I only play solo). To be honest I felt the most influential in the Gneis, which my stats display too - even though it was my first tier 7 BB. 

Damagewise I thought it was easier to do OK in the Colorado, but I think that is more down to now having played about 1,2k games as opposed to half, when doing the Gneis, but the lacking speed made me long for the other ships on a regular basis, even though I've been workning hard of improving at taking central positions on the maps.

I liked the Nagato the least - not that it is a bad ship - but the big superstructure made it a lot harder for me to carry and soak up damage for my team. The guns were enjoyable though. After about 7 pub games I ground out the rest during last season of ranked, where I went from rank 19~ => 10 with a very high win rate. The ship worked well in that meta.

Nagato 7 BB japan_wows.svg Japan 7 57.14% 77,007 1,784 2.5 1.4 0.7 43% 26% 0% 1,544
Colorado 7 BB usa.svg USA 26 61.54% 83,431 1,963 6.7 1.5 3.0 77% 28% 0% 1,828
Gneisenau 7 BB germany.svg Germany 28 75.00% 83,762 2,000 4.2 1.4 5.1 68% 32% 20% 1,616
Scharnhorst 7 BB germany.svg Germany 116 62.93% 78,036 1,982 4.2 1.6 2.4 61% 30% 15% 1,412

12 hours ago, Birkovic said:

I've just finished the Colorado grind, which was the last tier 7 BB grind for me (I only play solo). To be honest I felt the most influential in the Gneis, which my stats display too - even though it was my first tier 7 BB. 

Agree, the Gneisenau and Scharnhorst are the two most influential BB at tier 7 given their speed, torpedoes and armor profile which favors mid-close range engagement. It's a ship that you can use to bully other ships contesting caps whereas the nagato prefers a mid-long range artillery duel and the Colorado struggles to get into position. I also rank the Scharnhorst over the Gneisenau because the gun caliber fits its mission profile better than the 15" guns on the Gneisenau, but both can be played very aggressively and get results. 

17 hours ago, ncc81701 said:

Agree, the Gneisenau and Scharnhorst are the two most influential BB at tier 7 given their speed, torpedoes and armor profile which favors mid-close range engagement. It's a ship that you can use to bully other ships contesting caps whereas the nagato prefers a mid-long range artillery duel and the Colorado struggles to get into position. I also rank the Scharnhorst over the Gneisenau because the gun caliber fits its mission profile better than the 15" guns on the Gneisenau, but both can be played very aggressively and get results. 

I highly disagree with that, while the Scharnhorst can bully the Gneisenau I would hardly call that, it's more of a damage sponge because it's primary guns lack anything close to the alpha strike nor has the ROF to make up for the lack of alpha. To get into torpedo range means your within range of dozens of ships that can torp you with more and better torps and then you end up getting focused down with flame throwers. Granted I feel this is a ship that has to be under 10 km to be most effective. What this ship does well is using it's speed to move around the map and attacking the weak flank, using it's great armor to absorb punishment for other players, and being a general support ship

5 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

I highly disagree with that, while the Scharnhorst can bully the Gneisenau I would hardly call that, it's more of a damage sponge because it's primary guns lack anything close to the alpha strike nor has the ROF to make up for the lack of alpha. To get into torpedo range means your within range of dozens of ships that can torp you with more and better torps and then you end up getting focused down with flame throwers. Granted I feel this is a ship that has to be under 10 km to be most effective. What this ship does well is using it's speed to move around the map and attacking the weak flank, using it's great armor to absorb punishment for other players, and being a general support ship

All BBs are essentially area denial ships based on their presence; given their armor and hp pool and their alpha strike. If you get close enough to contest a cap with an ally DD (doesn't mean you are in it, it means getting close enough to shoot into and around it effectively) then by your mere presence you push away cruisers that are out to get your DD contesting the cap. If they are dumb enough to stick around, you can make them regret it. The difference between the scharnhorst/Gneisenau and all other BBs is they are equipped to engage much closer than other BBs and have the resilience, speed and maneuverability to make a quick exit when you start to take too much fire. This means you can risk being closer to the cap, which in turns mean pushing the enemy cruisers further out, which further in turns means,your DDs have a better shot at taking caps. Both of these ships live and breath in that critical 7-12km range (where BB accuracy is really a non-issue) where you can easily dominate a cap and they have the speed to hop from one cap to the next which is why they are the most influential of tier 7 BB.

The prime example of this is the contrast with the HMS Hood. The Hood have same speed, more guns on a very tanky platform, but you wouldn't play it as close as you would a Scharn/Gneisenau because you aren't as maneuverable (bigger turning radius and longer profile), not as good close range armor profile, and you can't threaten someone w/ torps. Which btw you don't need to actually use your torps for them to be effective, the mere threat of them is often enough to get a bigger ship to turn away, or keep away in the first place. Just by being further away you have less presence over a cap which is less influence over the game. We are talking about edge cases here and all tier 7 BB are actually pretty good and all can have an outsize influence over the game if played well, but IMO the Scharn/Gneisenau simply have a higher skill ceiling than the other BBs in that tier given their ability to play closer to the caps.