Sign in to follow this  
Vettish

Looking to division or a clan

I really need to find a few people to division with as I am getting really tired of trying to carry a team solo. If any of you have a heart then please throw me a bone. I can join a clan or just division with any of you.

I am looking to log some serious hours and getting my first tier 10. I am closest to the USN BB atm so I guess I'll finish this grind. After that I'm open to suggestions. I want to start playing this more but its very painful solo.

I know I suck but I will get better. Help!

I think I have you on my friends list but I never see you on when I'm on, I usually play from 9ish to 11p est. Hit me up because I'm in the same boat as you, I have something for T2 to T9 mostly BBs though

On 6/10/2017 at 1:11 PM, Vettish said:

I really need to find a few people to division with as I am getting really tired of trying to carry a team solo. If any of you have a heart then please throw me a bone. I can join a clan or just division with any of you.

I am looking to log some serious hours and getting my first tier 10. I am closest to the USN BB atm so I guess I'll finish this grind. After that I'm open to suggestions. I want to start playing this more but its very painful solo.

I know I suck but I will get better. Help!

I encourage you to go wide rather than deep in the tech tree (~3 lines of diff class). Those Tier 10 may look great but you're just hurting yourself and your team if you just hop into a T10 w/out knowing the meta and the capabilities of other ships are. I didn't get my first T10 until >1 year into the game and there isn't much of an end game for T10s right now anyways.

While divisioning does help with improving WR, it is not a solution to fix inexperience and poor play (unicum players can do 60-65+% WR solo). I encourage you to read up on LWM's guide to controlling your WR and some of her other guides as a primer on your mindset and strategies . 

I'm typically on after 9PM PST, but the rest of my RUST buddies are typically on a bit earlier. Hit us up again if you are looking for some divs or just looking for some advice.

Yea, I am going down many lines atm but the Colorado is my high water mark so far. Tried CVs a few times and did not get them but I am trying a little again and doing a bit better this time around. Cruisers are also being played here and there as well as destroyers. I just haven't really stuck with WoWs that much but I plan to now that WoT is putting me off so much lately. Ranked grind for better equipment is really killing it and the super duper premiums are kind of a drag as well.

I also don't want to artificially boost my wr but I do want to division with solid players to tell me what the hell I am doing wrong. My road to being not super bad at tanks was long and hard and I am hoping to learn a little quicker in ships if I can. Also, I enjoy playing with friends but I can't get any of my rl friends to play boats or tanks. They are all still playing WoW hello kitty adventure island.   

7 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

And you play it how much compared to other ships you aren't grinding a line for?

It is one of my ten most played ships. Though outside of line grinding I mostly play prems to grind credit, and because I have some dank prems.

44 minutes ago, How_Terrible said:

It is one of my ten most played ships. Though outside of line grinding I mostly play prems to grind credit, and because I have some dank prems.

Yeah, The prems are some of the best ships in the game. More unique to play.

Well I've made the jump to boats, I'm finding battleship play a bit difficult, the low tiers are ripping my eyes out.

I know that their dispersion sucks so I try getting closer, then bust a salvo that misses at 3-5 km on a target, I've started practicing turning in and out onto targets to bring guns on for broadsiding targets.

But I'm aiming shots too short meaning when the target enters the area they end up taking shells on the rear half of the ship, I'm really bad at swapping shell types I go full ap in some cases, and the hud sucks in giving feedback in terms of shell penetration, did it shatter, overpen? I'm really bad at managing engagement range a part is wondering if I'm learning bad habits to get damage in, I know of the wasd hacks and know that when there are cruisers and destroyers around its time to turn bow on and prepare the rudder, for torpedo beats. I'm wondering of the context of angling bow on if the enemy has guns that can overmatch my bow I put myself at an auto bounce angle is it towards the front guns or rear?   

Your bow has more armor, but it is situational. If you are in a bad situation, it may be time to turn away. When you go bow on or stern on, you can get overmatched. Also, people can shoot above your guns and hit superstructure which will not be over pens because of bow/stern rake. As far as shooting goes, the more you play the better you will aim. What some you tubers or streamers and see how they aim.

14 hours ago, LeoAegisMaximus said:

Well I've made the jump to boats, I'm finding battleship play a bit difficult, the low tiers are ripping my eyes out.

Going from Tanks to Ships, IMO BB have the biggest adjustment period given that for good BB play you have to  plan your maneuvers 1-2 minutes ahead and really have to learn how to read the flow of the game to maximize your effectiveness. This is compounded by the fact that low tier BB are some of the slowest ships in the game, which is amplified even further if you are playing the USN BB line. So stick with it and you'll adjust but it may take longer than other ship classes.

I know that their dispersion sucks so I try getting closer, then bust a salvo that misses at 3-5 km on a target, I've started practicing turning in and out onto targets to bring guns on for broadsiding targets.

Low tier BB dispersion is especially bad, IMO it doesn't get accurate enough for reliable shooting until at least tier 5. The best you can do is learn how to get the center of the shell pattern to land where you want it to. You can have a perfect salvo and have all your shots miss even at tier 10 given the right circumstances. It's good that you are learning to maneuver your hull to get guns into position, but you should also be mindful that there is a minimum optimal distance when playing a BB. Your turret traverse and rudder response are so slow that you want to avoid being too close to your targets in general. For tier 3-5 BB, IMO this is roughly 8-12km, for tier 6-10 this is ~10-14km unless you are in a KM BB. 

But I'm aiming shots too short meaning when the target enters the area they end up taking shells on the rear half of the ship, I'm really bad at swapping shell types I go full ap in some cases, and the hud sucks in giving feedback in terms of shell penetration, did it shatter, overpen? I'm really bad at managing engagement range a part is wondering if I'm learning bad habits to get damage in, I know of the wasd hacks and know that when there are cruisers and destroyers around its time to turn bow on and prepare the rudder, for torpedo beats. I'm wondering of the context of angling bow on if the enemy has guns that can overmatch my bow I put myself at an auto bounce angle is it towards the front guns or rear? 

Keep at it and you'll get a hang of aiming, but to assist with that you might want to go into the controls panel (see image below) and pick a crosshair that works for you, especially a dynamically scaling one (meaning the tick marks scale w/ level of zoom). In the same controls panel, turn on things like alternative battle interface, damage indicators, smoke timer, detained ribbons, etc. I don't understand why these are not on by default but you should turn on all of them. The detail ribbon is the one that will tell you if you are penning,over penning, shatter, or ricoheting your shells. Since we are at it, make sure you turn on range rings, last spotted marker,etc  on the mini map by hitting the gear icon on the upper right side of the minimap and selecting those options. 

743a8196-12ed-11e7-9bd1-38eaa7374f3c_120

For ammo selection rule of thumb is to use AP on BB 95%+ of the time, even on DDs because overpen damage is still pretty devastating on a DD; CA starting tier 4-5 are the lines where you'll start making make hard choices about ammo selection since CA AP typically can't overmatch bow in ships, but can be devastating when an opportunity arise where you can pump AP shells into someone's broadsides.

For angling, bow is better than aft as some of the bb (like USN ones) have much weaker atwardship? citadel bulkhead armor than the fore citadel bulkhead armor, but angling with your stern is still infinitely better than giving someone broadsides. You should still angle toward or away from your enemies even if they can overmatch your armor since this gives them a smaller profile, and your turrets typically have very strong armor and covers a great deal of your bow/aft profile when angling bow in or stern in. [BTW you should check out the build-in armor viewer and become familiar w/ general armor layouts and armor thickness of ships]

Thank you for the tips, I've been reading up on damage control, and know that with fires its not worth activating it for one fire instead save it for 2-3 fires if necessary, what about flooding? For Repair party do i use it as a health pool if I've used damage control? Are there better reticles for using spotter  planes? I find it hard aiming on a top down view with a cross hair flat base aiming bar. 

I'm starting to time my broadsides with an enemy fire,  meaning i commit to the turn to bring guns to bear after they fire, where should i be aiming on ships? I've tried waterline shots but they fall short, or aiming at their broadside means some times i hit their main armor belt and shatter or over pen their superstructure, should i be aiming for their bows or is that overpen?