General_6

Need advice on Hevium Play

If folks could provide some advice and or links to articles would appreciate it. Just unlocked the WZ 111 1-4. and while the speed is nice, I am struggling mightly with this tank. First I need to unlock the 130 mm. 

But more importantly is positioning. If i head to traditional heavy spots and get there first I just butchered because even a Chrysler has a better UFP. Yes this tank is great in hulldown position but I find the 5 degrees depression makes it difficult to work hulldown effectively.

If I go to more "medium" spots the lack of nimbleness and depression means the armor seems to mean little and I get artied or flanked.

Finally, and this is shared with T10 is the pike nose. I tend to sidescrape / angle and the pike nose really doesn't help in those cases.

Any replays, links to past topics or general advice would be appreciated.

As far as general style I do well in lights but poorly in TD's since I can't stand camping. I'm not a great brawler and need OP armor for city maps to be somewhat effective.

Thanks!

Use your speed to get to places traditional heavies can't get to. Then trade using alpha. My mistake playing through the 111-4 was constantly trying to side-scrape and getting insta-penned anyways.

-5 is pretty decent for a front mounted turret. It took me about 200 games in the Tier 8 111 and the IS-3 to learn most of the hulldown spots across the maps accessible to these tanks. When your frontal gun depression fails you, you could always try peeking sideways: it's not as stupid as you might think as all 111 variants have IS-3 style sides with about 200 mm EA.

I am a shitter myself, and I find that the 111 1-4 is generally only as good as your position. Thus, if you fail to take early hulldown spots ahead of the enemy heavies, you're not going to have a good time. I suppose you could always treat it like a support tank, but this is no T-10 and the gun is hardly reliable enough for those kinds of engagements.

Against medium, as against everything else except lights, your armour only works when hulldown. The tank has 490 alpha and a UFP that is somewhat strong against T9 APCR, as well as a turret that's effectively impenetrable. As such, I suggest hiding your LFP as the bottom line.

The 111s can really only sidescrape against shitters. Against good players, it's just a unreliable trick to minimise exposure. That said, the 111 does not have a full pike so there's that. Reverse sidescraping is rarely an option in the 111s since you have -2 or smth gun dep over your engine deck, unlike the T-10 which gets a full -5. Besides, as you said, the 1-4 is still somewhat sluggish (it actually turns slower than an E 75), which means that manuvers like reverse sidescraping will rarely be worth it unless the engagement is just that static.

If you find the 111 1-4 challenging, I'd personally suggest playing the T-10 first. The T-10 is similar in many ways except it's a bit more of a generalist and less reliant on its armour. If you insist on playing the 1-4, unlock the 130mm ASAP. With the 100 mil it's just a retarded T-54/120. With the 130 you outtrade virtually all your opposition and expose your tank far less.

11111111111111111111-4 is the best T9 tank in the game hands down really, it can do everything and blab people in the face for 500 while doing that, so fucking glorious. T-10 is worse than 11111111111-4.

Like Fulcrous said, use your speed. A heavium is at it strongest when abusing other tank classes instead of fighting other Heavy Tanks. With deployment, I tend to deploy like I am a top tier RU MT, as while Im lacking only a slight bit of speed and DPM, I have a massive armor, HP, and alpha advantage. 

WZ-111-14 is very good because it has a high top speed, so getting places is something it can do. Problem is micromanaging in pushes/retreats due to low acceleration (even if it sort of helps in keeping the gun bloom lower) so you really need to know where to go. Just abuse the mediums with 340 HEAT and 490 alpha with a decent turret still and once you've cleared them out and there are gaps in map control you can start contesting heavies as well. Your gun tier for tier is awesome in alpha and DPM is not too bad either with first strike.

T-10 is roughly the same although it's a little bit more mobile in terms of acceleration so it fights a bit better on the spot but usually loses out compared to the WZ when it needs to move. The only heavium in T10 in the tech tree is 113 anyway, and that one doesn't suffer any mobililty problems at all and can fight well anywhere against anything.

Otherwise if you have a 907 you can play that as heavium too because 0fucksgivenRNGarmour :serb: 

Thanks for the suggestions! I started going in medium spots if only to avoid using constant spam of APCR on T10 heavies, but I found I was getting out traded against nato tier 9 with the 100mm. The 130mm which I have unlocked now has really turned the tide in potential trades and has caused much more of a fear factor which has led to better map control. Plus the heat is glorious against those over present mauses, and Jap heavies.