Jump to content
M0rtim3r

10k battles - nothing to celebrate

Recommended Posts

Hey wotlabs-forum,

I recently got this 10k-battles-popup ingame. First, i felt kind of proud and wanted to celebrate. Then i realized, what this actually means: I'm not a new player anymore. Gone are the days where i could fail my way up the tiers and blame a lack of experience for my terrible performance. Nor the MM, my team, RNG, beeing tired or overworked or whatever: 10k is a large enough sample to track my performance, so: I suck at this game. And this bothers me, because I enjoy the rare good moments i have a lot, but I need to either improve or uninstall. And i dont want to uninstall.

So, thats my story. My goal is to become green in wn8 rating. Is this a good goal to set for myself? Any advice, criticism, suggestion is highly appreaciated. Heres a link to my vbaddict:

http://www.vbaddict.net/progress/m0rtim3r-eu-147e05a41d7903eb73f1ca5a9e159981

Thanks for reading and in advance for any answers!

Take care!

M0rtim3r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, M0rtim3r said:

My goal is to become green in wn8 rating. Is this a good goal to set for myself?

Short answer: NO.

For a wide variety of reasons you shouldn't measure your skill by a single metric, let alone WN8, which has a variety of flaws if you're using it for that purpose.

At this point, you should simply focus on recognizing, correcting, and preventing your own mistakes. As you've noted, you have a good amount of experience in-game; This simplifies the problem, since you only need to make use of the knowledge and skills you already possess! 

Also, I would try 2 things in particular.

1) Branch out a bit. Specifically, try playing more heavies. You have 10k battles but no heavies over tier 8? Heavies are super-meta right now, and knowing how to play them is an important skill to have, even if you don't play them yourself.

2) Live longer! You're recent shows you survive 21.11% of your games. That's very low. There's something to be said for aggressive play of course, but you can't make an impact in the game if you're dead! It's hard to say what you actually have to do to fix this, but the first thing I would look at is to make sure you're trading shots effectively. i.e. make sure every time you engage a tank that you have a good chance of dealing more damage than you'll take in return. (Also, try to only engage one tank at a time)

Also, welcome to the forums!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, OperatorError said:

Short answer: NO.

For a wide variety of reasons you shouldn't measure your skill by a single metric, let alone WN8, which has a variety of flaws if you're using it for that purpose.

At this point, you should simply focus on recognizing, correcting, and preventing your own mistakes. As you've noted, you have a good amount of experience in-game; This simplifies the problem, since you only need to make use of the knowledge and skills you already possess! 

Also, I would try 2 things in particular.

1) Branch out a bit. Specifically, try playing more heavies. You have 10k battles but no heavies over tier 8? Heavies are super-meta right now, and knowing how to play them is an important skill to have, even if you don't play them yourself.

2) Live longer! You're recent shows you survive 21.11% of your games. That's very low. There's something to be said for aggressive play of course, but you can't make an impact in the game if you're dead! It's hard to say what you actually have to do to fix this, but the first thing I would look at is to make sure you're trading shots effectively. i.e. make sure every time you engage a tank that you have a good chance of dealing more damage than you'll take in return. (Also, try to only engage one tank at a time)

Also, welcome to the forums!

Yeah, I'm going to second most of what he said (not advising you play heavies).  Don't focus on WN8, focus on winning and average exp as your metrics to raise.

In order to effect those, you need to figure out what you're doing wrong with your HP, because that survival rate is abysmal.  Look to deal at LEAST your HP in damage each match, and try for 1 kill every match...  This means you've removed from the enemy team what you brought to your team... so even if you die after that, you've broken even.  Play a tank you want to play, and focus on it - learn it's style, look up guides for it, replays, videos, etc...  See how, what, where better players are doing/going with that tank, and see if you can grab a bit of the why, so that you can apply it yourself.

Feel free to poke the replay section of the forums here, and mebbe see about loading a 10 game or so pack, from a single session (that way there's both good and bad games).  There are several players here who would review them and be able to give some tips.

 

TL:DR - set a goal of tank HP & 1 kill in every match you play.  Figure out how to conserve your HP better in order to effect that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17.6.2017 at 7:01 PM, OperatorError said:

Also, welcome to the forums!

Thanks! Both replies show, I came to the right place! Thanks a lot guys!

 

On 17.6.2017 at 7:01 PM, OperatorError said:

For a wide variety of reasons you shouldn't measure your skill by a single metric, let alone WN8, which has a variety of flaws if you're using it for that purpose.

 

On 17.6.2017 at 7:38 PM, Errants said:

Don't focus on WN8, focus on winning and average exp as your metrics to raise.

...

Look to deal at LEAST your HP in damage each match, and try for 1 kill every match...  

I realize, I got caught in a wn8-number-trap...thanks for clearing this up! Avg. Exp and winrate make more sense, so ill focus on that and on doing my TankHP & 1 kill.

 

On 17.6.2017 at 7:01 PM, OperatorError said:

1) Branch out a bit. Specifically, try playing more heavies. You have 10k battles but no heavies over tier 8? Heavies are super-meta right now, and knowing how to play them is an important skill to have, even if you don't play them yourself.

I ground the IS3 because everybody said its a good tank, but i have troubles to handle its peaknose, i guess. I never know if and how to angle. I heard about reverse sidescraping, but i get too confused about controls atm. In general heavies make me feel impatient, because of the bad maneuverability and speed.

 

On 17.6.2017 at 7:01 PM, OperatorError said:

2) Live longer! You're recent shows you survive 21.11% of your games. That's very low.

 

On 17.6.2017 at 7:38 PM, Errants said:

In order to effect those, you need to figure out what you're doing wrong with your HP, because that survival rate is abysmal. 

I started a mistake-log. After every death, i note what move killed me. So far i seem to poke into loaded guns a lot or forget about unspotted tanks. Although, sometimes its difficult to categorize. But I found this helps me also a lot against raging and going on full tilt.

 

On 17.6.2017 at 7:01 PM, OperatorError said:

At this point, you should simply focus on recognizing, correcting, and preventing your own mistakes.

 

On 17.6.2017 at 7:38 PM, Errants said:

Feel free to poke the replay section of the forums here, and mebbe see about loading a 10 game or so pack, from a single session (that way there's both good and bad games).  There are several players here who would review them and be able to give some tips.

As soon as I find some spare time, ill upload a couple replays and my thoughts during and after the battle to compare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To both errants and operator, what is a good survival rate?

At 27% mine is pretty shit as well and I'm starting to be more aware about conserving HP and surviving. However, I do tend to play on the risky side of things and if there is a whole gaggle of hopeless campers at the corner and we're down 7 tanks, I'll just take my MT to scout to get some points rather than to waste that extra 5 mins of my life waiting for the opposing team to swarm us.

To mortimer, patience is quite important in this game. As I mentioned above, I'm usually quite patient but I give up when there is no hope of winning and teammates are being stubborn idiots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...