Nalok

Looking for a ship upgrade guide

Hi guys,

I'm new to WoWS having been a tanker for a while now. I went through the stickied thread for some of the basics, and I'm slowly starting to get an idea. I found the Captain skill thread pretty handy as well.

Ship upgrades however are still a bit unclear to me. I can read what it says in game obviously, but I was wondering as in WoT if there are your bread and butter upgrades, and some that are just not worth it despite maybe looking good on paper?

Is there any guide on the subjet? Or could anyone give me a quick heads up for the basic shiptypes what the "upgrades to have are"?

Thanks in advance,

-Nalok

Generally speaking hulls are the first thing you upgrade followed by either gun range or speed. It's allot more basic than WOT honestly. Skills would be more dependant on what ship line your taking, right now I'm on my cellphone but I'm sure someone smarter than me will put something up

The hull often gives you more of everything and this is, alas, not always easy to discern. Some ships get an extra torpedoe per launcher, some even get additional guns. All get more hitpoints and often better maneuverability, which is always uselful.

Some DDs (Destroyers) are an exception to this rule. IJN DDs often gain little from the better hull and should go better torps first. USN DDs have C hulls that sacrifice a gun for better AA, most people do not equip this hull in random battles.

Finally Cruisers that have no armor (most of the Ru line and some others) and thus rely on range can get a range upgrade first. Do not do this on the Chapayev (tier VIII) though as the Chapayev gets it's radar consumbale with the better hull...

Engines are useful upgrades, but usually the last one I get. Some ships have plenty of range stock too, such as NC with 21km range stock, 23 with FCS upgrade, in which case, FCS is last.

I suppose I wasn't very clear with my original post - I was talking about ship upgrades that you can buy, like WoT equipment?

Just now, Nalok said:

I suppose I wasn't very clear with my original post - I was talking about ship upgrades that you can buy, like WoT equipment?

Ship modifications I believe is the correct term for that. Those are going to vary from ship to ship plus the kind of role you want for your ship. For example if you're going for a secondary build on the Bismarck you'd pretty much go all in on modifications that benefit your secondaries plus captain skills that buff them as well. Similar idea if you're going for say a full AA build on a Cleveland, you'd be stacking skills and mods that go all in. Another example would be say a ship that has slow turrets like a Myoko you might go main gun battery mod 2 or expert marksman onyourcaptain or even both if you find that you maneuver heavily as part of your play style and you have difficulty keeping your turrets on target. For me I run those on the tier 6 Anshan because the turret traverse is very limiting for a gunboat.

As far as BBs go most players will run concealment mod on the tier 8+ ships because target acquisition isn't very good. Some tier 8+ cruisers and dds benefit from the steering mod 3 whereas others will want to stick with concealment. The basic rule of thumb for that is if you are a dps ship that relies on continuous main battery fire, like say a Tashkent or a Chapayev then concealment isn't as valuable but being able to dodge return fire is, then steering is the way to go. But if your ship is more of an ambusher like maybe the Atago or non-RU DDs then concealment is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Usually min/max'ing is the way to go like Rodrigopine suggested. There are few ships that benefit from improving weaknesses, but only if there are no other viable options. Although improving weaknesses can make those ships more enjoyable to play. For instance mods that improve turret rotation on RU destroyers makes them more comfortable to play in close range battles, but they will still be at a disadvantage to a DD that has good base turret rotation.  

Rules of thumb I follow:

US BBs T7 up max AA. Primary guns are fine as is. 

Germany and Japan BBs T8 plus secondaries. 

DDs max Torps and Stealth for ijn, guns and maneuverability for USSR, Germany and us are jack of all trades, so pick what you want. 

US and USSR CA is guns and AA. IJN and France is guns on CAs. RN is smoke and guns.

CVs are maximize aircraft.

It depends on the line.

For example, I'd recommend engines first on USN BB line because 18knts is horrifying.

I think the best thing about most hulls though is the rudder shift reduction, it makes a world of difference. Extra AA and HP is great but I'd rather avoid what they defend against.

On 22/6/2017 at 6:27 PM, Jarkorsis said:

Rules of thumb I follow:

US BBs T7 up max AA. Primary guns are fine as is. 

Germany and Japan BBs T8 plus secondaries.

I actually don't hear that sentiment that much tbh.

US BBs need CE and then AA - from what I hear.

Germany BBs after tier 8 don't benefit as much from secondaries due to the current tier 10 meta.

Few top players appear to secondary spec the Yamato and Izumo (not that I hear about secondary spec'ed Amagi's). Stealth and tank appears to be prefered.

I go full secondary for fun on my German tier 8-10 BB's. I don't bother with secondary builds on the IJN BB's. As for USN you can go both CE and AA, which is pretty nice.