thegeek2

Random BSOD caused by overclocking?

No, I have had one BSOD. That's it. No blackscreens, no hang, no crash, no restarts. I BSOD'd once. That's why I'm not so sure it was caused by unstable hardware components

Sorry, was that not clear?

Oh, also, sorry, I'm a fucking amateur. I didn't go as far as I could. I just tried 4.4 ghz@1.3V, found it worked fine, then left it at that. I have no idea what the chip's limit actually is.

Sorry, I guess I was not clear enough. I was just concerned at an abrupt Bluescreen for no reason I could discern, and I know overclocking can cause such things.

0 errors after 10 passes of memtest86+ on single core failsafe mode.

On 15.7.2017 at 2:50 AM, Haswell said:

Oh.

If it's just one BSOD, then just ignore it unless it happens again with the same symptoms.

Agree - that could have been anything from a stray cosmic particle to an external USB device acting up.

17 hours ago, thegeek2 said:

0 errors after 10 passes of memtest86+ on single core failsafe mode.

See above - and while you re at it you can check your SSD/HDDs for S.M.A.R.T. errors (though that has nothing to do - probably - with the issue). Checking that now and then can save you a lot of trouble.

Ah. Sorry for making all that trouble.

Thanks.

On 7/14/2017 at 8:12 PM, Fulcrous said:

What it means by "safe" is reasonable length of use. Sure you might be able to run 1.52v for some extended period of time, but the lifetime of the chip is cut severely by doing so. I presume you enjoy sauna's because those idle temps would be ~50-60

Idle temps were pretty much room temps, under Prime95 I was seeing something like ~65C which is highest it ever got to, games don't get it higher than 50-55C.

Just had another BSOD. Same symptoms- no events registered in Event Viewer until the kernel power error on startup, minidump creation failed again. Earlier today I also had a freeze, but it coincided with a GPU driver failure, so I don't think it's related. I'm going to run Prime95 overnight.

On 7/16/2017 at 4:51 AM, Folterknecht said:

Agree - that could have been anything from a stray cosmic particle to an external USB device acting up.

See above - and while you re at it you can check your SSD/HDDs for S.M.A.R.T. errors (though that has nothing to do - probably - with the issue). Checking that now and then can save you a lot of trouble.

Perhaps this is not as random as I had hoped. It is statistically improbable that I would receive two completely random blue-screens so close together after nothing for a year. Therefore the Bluescreens are likely not random chance. Prime95 is running, Blend mode.

Hmm - go into your BIOS and save your current settings in a profile. After that load "Optimized Defaults", adjust boot order and other things you need, "Save&Exit". That way you 'll see if the issues are OC related or not.

Okay, I'll kill the OC for now. I can say that it just made it through 12 hours of prime95 blended with no crashes (with the overclock), so if it is an instability of the overclock, it appears to be independent of CPU load. Regardless, I'll go without the clock for a few weeks and see if it happens again.

1 hour ago, thegeek2 said:

...made it through 12 hours of prime95 blended with no crashes (with the overclock), so if it is an instability of the overclock, it appears to be independent of CPU load.

Nah - you might miss something there (general information)

With OC there are 2(3) states where things can go wrong

• Full load - insufficiant "max" voltage, where either dialed in voltage is to low or Vdrop to high (->LLC)
  • load change (go from from idle/medium to full load). Changing speeds in a processor is not like flipping a switch when it comes to voltage. The voltage always has a horizontal component when you look at it on a oscilloscope. It's not binary.

Where Prime (blend - full run) usually shines is full load testing and going from min to max load to some degree. The steps in between - when they make trouble - usually need a small nodge in secondary voltages or/and Vcore or they occur at/near the limit of the CPU.

With what you are describing (voltages + speeds applied to your CPU model and the circumstances) I get the hunch, that something elsed might be off. That 's why I'm advocating eleminating broader areas first here (RAM, OC in general). Especially eliminating the RAM is a good and easy to apply measure (Memtest from USB over night) nearly every time the PC acts up.

Well, I've reset Bios to auto in all areas, so if I don't have any issues for about 2 weeks, I'd guess it is a problem of the overclock?

Loaded "optimized defaults". If I cleared the CMOS I'd lose the overclock profile.