Reluctor

Optics vs Vents

Now, in the past, my equipment loadouts have pretty much gone, Can you equip Vstab? Then do it. Can you equip a rammer? Then do it. Can you have 440 view range without optics? Yes go vents, no go optics.

The question I'm asking about though, is on tanks that I have 440 view range with vents on, such as the patton, would it be worth it to put optics on instead to try to eat up some of these new light tanks insane cammo?
I play my mediums as kind of a light tank counter on big open maps so seeing them is important. 

If this is a dumb question feel free to let me know how much I have yet to learn yada yada yada. Thanks guys.

I think you've answered your own question.

48 minutes ago, Reluctor said:

I play my mediums as kind of a light tank counter on big open maps so seeing them is important. 

Stack view range and enjoy farming that sweet spotting damage.

Vents are great but not at the expense of Optics as far as I'm concerned.

At the end of the day, there's top players using both setups with great success so there's no wrong choice. To each his own.

I solved same requirement by taking vstab off and running vents/optics/rammer. Patton gun handling is so good you dont need a vstab.

If you don't have 450 VR + with Vents on the Pattons you have something wrong with your crew. I know off hand with a proper crew and vents the M48 can achieve some stupid VR, like 520 ish. You should have no trouble using vents are going past 450. 

Personally, in this meta, I prefer vents over optics as there are very little vision maps left. However, if you are planning on marking tanks, optics helps supplement damage. 

M46 with 60% recon/ 90% sit + vents: 450 / food 470

M48 with 80% on both : 460 / food 480

Both crews are BIA. 

20 hours ago, Hally said:

On most of my tanks that I 3 marked... I ran both vents and optics.. chopped rammer.

ok skill4u :MingLee:

I was just using the Patton as an example. Don't go to hard on that. I'm just asking specifically if I should shoot for 440 and call it good, or should I try to push view range as far as possible to eat at the light tanks cammo?

440 is definitely not good enough from my personal experience. A lot of magical things happen at the 480+, where you can spot most heavy tanks and firing medium/tds at max spotting range.

440 is max spotting range isn't it? or are you saying at 480 view range I can spot the heavies at 440?

Most things have some camo value. Be it a percent or two for the big boppers up to a bunch for a well camo'd tank. That camo percent is then applied to your view range.

Eg let's say something has a 50% camo (high, but good for illustration) - with a 400m view range you'll spot it at 200m. With a 500m VR you'll spot it at 250m. Hence going over the 445m can definitely be beneficial.

My general thought process is that cutting through camo with optics > vents. If you're something that has no chance whatsoever of outlighting stuff (i.e  maus) might as well do vents.

Optics still has use on lane maps. I don't see enough benefit from vents so I don't really bother for the most part barring league.

21 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

My general thought process is that cutting through camo with optics > vents. If you're something that has no chance whatsoever of outlighting stuff (i.e  maus) might as well do vents.

Optics still has use on lane maps. I don't see enough benefit from vents so I don't really bother for the most part barring league.

VR stacking actually works pretty well on horribly camo'd superheavies like maus of JPE. A LOT of meds, especially blue and purple ones, seems to just love HEAT spamming you from 440m away. Having the VR to dig them out worked wonders a lot for me.

The only tanks I wouldn't bother getting vision with are ones that are too blind regardless such as IS-3/6.. or ones that need all the gun handling boost it can get such as indien panzer or T-34-3 with a low skill crew.

28 minutes ago, Hally said:

VR stacking actually works pretty well on horribly camo'd superheavies like maus of JPE. A LOT of meds, especially blue and purple ones, seems to just love HEAT spamming you from 440m away. Having the VR to dig them out worked wonders a lot for me.

The only tanks I wouldn't bother getting vision with are ones that are too blind regardless such as IS-3/6.. or ones that need all the gun handling boost it can get such as indien panzer or T-34-3 with a low skill crew.

Maus gets lit outlit no matter what by a factor of 100m (an estimation) against meds. Pretty pointless for the most part.

On tds i tend to drop gld. To run optic and vents

Ofc a maus is not going to outspot anything; but if they spot you and shoot, you can see them in return. A 480m vr maus will dig out a firing batchat or 62A at max spotting range, allowing for retaliation.

22 minutes ago, Hally said:

Ofc a maus is not going to outspot anything; but if they spot you and shoot, you can see them in return. A 480m vr maus will dig out a firing batchat or 62A at max spotting range, allowing for retaliation.

Not doubting that optics can help in certain situations. I just think that in the Maus' case, you are better off shooting something else in that scenario angle properly angle for the med.

as is the case with most tanks, particularly with medium tanks that are better equipped to deal with light tanks and the first step will often be to spot the thinly armored scouts. maximizing your view range will also make you less reliant on random teammates in certain situations.

On 7/20/2017 at 3:30 AM, Hally said:

On most of my tanks that I 3 marked... I ran both vents and optics.. chopped rammer.

This!

It is always a dilemma, do you want 10% more DPM, or less DPM, but more chance to actually hit your shots? In some of the tanks i dropped rammer, and didn't regret it. 

DPM is useless if you miss/not pen your shots, right?

Well its entirely dependent on your crew/preference

I would say if your crew is good(read: get 450+vr w/o optics and with vents), then go with vents, if they don't have good vr and are not spg go with optics, especially if t9/x. Exception would be tanks that need specific 3 equipment(i.e. stab rammer vents or gld in the case of 4005/183 etc) or which have terrible stock vr anyway(like most heavies below tier x, tier x heavies usually have enough vr). Meta isn't really reliant on spotting nowadays but still good to have vr when your team are dead most of the time as per usual pubbie play or when you have invisible tanks shooting you/open maps.

14 hours ago, 3MAJ86 said:

This!

It is always a dilemma, do you want 10% more DPM, or less DPM, but more chance to actually hit your shots? In some of the tanks i dropped rammer, and didn't regret it. 

DPM is useless if you miss/not pen your shots, right?

DPM is useless if you miss or don't have opportunities to shoot often. It's still useful if you don't pen because you reload quicker to get another shot off.

I've been going more and more #opticsmasterrace.  100%/BIA + optics, no vents, gets me 397 VR currently on my IS-2.  For a Tier 7 heavy, that's IMHO a pretty big advantage, since you're going to see a lot of players (I play pubs exclusively) who have crappy crews or don't run the right equipment, or whose tanks flat out can't see.  Obviously, I'm not even half the player that most of the posters on this thread are, but I think heavies that can spot what's trying to snipespam them can help level the playing field.  And when you aren't top tier, VR lets you contribute more (as far as I can tell) than almost anything else.  Tier 9 match, even apcrspam won't get you as far as you'd like in an IS/IS2 (sticking with that example), but being able to spot 400+?  That's pretty huge.

Take something like a Lowe or T32, slap optics on it, and you're suddenly a lot more competitive in a tier 10 match with 440 VR before skills.  I can't imagine forgoing that.

For a while in my wz131 I even had the rammer dropped, b/c vents were boosting both VR and gun handling, but now that I've got a girl crew in it and have started accumulating some SA skill, I went back to running rammer over vents, and adding some gunnery skills once I've maxed out repair/camo will help compensate for not running vents.  Now, I know running a scout without optics is < idiotic, but I guess my point is, there are plenty of situations in which vents can be traded out for something else.

Is my thinking wrong on this?

OK since there is this optic thread and I have this discussion running. Do binos and coated optics add up or is only one of each active at the same time. I am pretty sure the don't add up but somebody else says they do, because the interface in the garage kind of adds it up. 

All stuff I've found in the internet proofs me right but is at least one year old. So my "friend" tells me it has been changed during this year.

Who is right, who's wrong? Somebody pls enlight me. 

7 hours ago, hall0 said:

OK since there is this optic thread and I have this discussion running. Do binos and coated optics add up or is only one of each active at the same time. I am pretty sure the don't add up but somebody else says they do, because the interface in the garage kind of adds it up. 

All stuff I've found in the internet proofs me right but is at least one year old. So my "friend" tells me it has been changed during this year.

Who is right, who's wrong? Somebody pls enlight me. 

They work one at the time, either binos or optics (with base VR without equipment).

The bonus is applied at all times except when Binoculars are active, making this equipment better suited for aggressive and scouting players. Recommended for aggressive medium and light tanks, especially at high tiers.

The ideal scenario is getting the best of both worlds by running rammer/vstab/optics with food on the side. That combo is like having the three equipment with two vents as well. Of course the problem is that food is expensive and you'll be out an equipment slot. But sacrificing credits for fun has always been WoT's modus operandi and it isn't that hard to run preventative maintenance to compensate for not having an extinguisher.

But let's say you're a cheapskate and you refuse to run food. Then we circle back to the original question of: "Is 445m view range enough? Do I need more?" If the meta were more dependent on spotting and vision games, or if you could squeeze more view range without compromising other assets, then that would be something. But as things stand currently, I'd say 445 is enough for the corridor meta and once you hit that number you should invest resources elsewhere.