Pew Pew or BOOM!  

61 members have voted

1. 1. High Alpha or Quick Reload

Assuming the exact same Damage per Minute, which would you prefer with your play-style? High Alpha or Quick Reload.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages, however I would like to see what everyone likes if they are forced to pick one of the extremes.

If you would like some numbers to help you decide:

1) 1,150 Damage with 2500 Damage per Minute.

2) 230 Damage with 2500 Damage per Minute.

1) 640 Damage with 4.545 Rounds per Minute, 2908.8 Damage per Minute.

2) 320 Damage with 9.09 Rounds per Minute, 2908.8 Damage per Minute.

Assume accuracy, penetration and shell speed are the same. With a T-62A chassis at tier X.

To help you with your decision, here are some funny pictures!

cFjobWu.jpg

oEuC1fG.png

TrBvfDm.jpg

EK0Br2e.jpg

dFkEOYX.jpg

alpha+cover is pretty much reason why high tier TD is feared

thought autoloader is basically combining best aspect of those 2 which make it MORE feared

I think I'm more of an alpha player than RoF abuser. That said, I enjoy both especially in mid-tiers.

Both options (230 vs 1150) are shit imo - furthermore it depends on the tankclass and tier.

I like the gun on the JT - not the tank. Good balance between Alpha and Reload + nice aimtime and accuracy.

Well, I gave the Damage per Minute, 2500. What tier would you think has a Damage per Minute of 2,500?  :verysmug:

Also I said it would be a rough estimate for those that would require some numbers to help them.

Take the question for what it is, would you like to do your damage in one high damage shot then wait, or would you prefer to have a fast firing gun with low damage.

As I said, both have their own advantages and disadvantages. From camouflage factor (Camouflage factor after firing) to time exposed. The answer plays into each persons preferred play-style.

Well, here's the problem: You've effectively picked two extremes, neither of which are favorable.

Going by your examples though, the 1150 damage gun has a massive 27.6s reload time, therefore the 230 damage gun is better.

Well, here's the problem: You've effectively picked two extremes, neither of which are favorable.

Going by your examples though, the 1150 damage gun has a massive 27.6s reload time, therefore the 230 damage gun is better.

I do admit that the numbers listed are unrealistic for the listed Damage per Minute.

More realistic numbers would have 390 and 750 respectfully. However goal of the poll is to see; given the two extremes, which one would a tanker pick?

Too extreme.  Also, no indication of what tier is in question.  Finally, no thought is given to the chassis that carries each gun into combat.

Generally speaking, alpha wins out.  But if that alpha is on a gun with terrible handling, carried on a shit frame, I'll take the DPM. 

In my opinion, the Ferdi and Jagdtiger guns strike the best balance between alpha and DPM in their tiers.  268 probably marks the sweet spot at tier 10. 

More realistic numbers would have 390 and 750 respectfully. However goal of the poll is to see; given the two extremes, which one would a tanker pick?

In slow tank: alpha damage. If its slow, it must be feared to not get swarmed.

In fast tank: reload. If its fast it must be able to sacrifice one shot to track something from time to time.

Imagine KV-2 with M7 Medium gun. It would be rather funny looking (well, Churchill III is basically such thing), on other hand, M7 with 152mm derp would be very interesting ride.

Too extreme.  Also, no indication of what tier is in question.  Finally, no thought is given to the chassis that carries each gun into combat.

Generally speaking, alpha wins out.  But if that alpha is on a gun with terrible handling, carried on a shit frame, I'll take the DPM. 

In my opinion, the Ferdi and Jagdtiger guns strike the best balance between alpha and DPM in their tiers.  268 probably marks the sweet spot at tier 10. 

After reviewing the poll, I understand the flaw so I made the examples more specific using a well known and successful tank; The T-62A.

Added less extreme variations in the Damage per Minute and added Rounds per Minute to give the reader a more accurate assessment on the reload time.

Numbers added:

1) 640 Damage with 4.545 Rounds per Minute, 2908.8 Damage per Minute.

2) 320 Damage with 9.09 Rounds per Minute, 2908.8 Damage per Minute.

Let me know what you think about these numbers!

Again, I'll go with alpha. 640 for sure

Less exposure time means less potential damage received means more HP conservation for late game whilst still doing damage early-mid

With your new numbers, I would choose 640 damage over the alternative.

High alpha reduces exposure times - so generally speaking alpha wins.

However, SU-152 makes it very clear that sometimes too much alpha at the cost of reload can be a bad thing. For example: if you have to waste this huge alpha on a low hp tank or if you have to fight off flankers. SU-152 with the 152mm gun is probably beyond the sweetspot for tier VII. For that tier, I would prefer a gun with ~500hp damage.

By the way, I want that MT-25 with the 122mm. :maniac:

I voted RoF, but regretted it almost immediately.  I guess I was primarily thinking of the "That one bounced" situations where the RoF allows you to get back in the fray earlier, but the idea of not worrying about long exposure times and just doing massive alpha probably makes better sense.  Like a lot of people stated the other variables like mobility, armor, etc. would also help determine which would be more suitable, but that is not the point of the poll. 

Assuming the same DPM, alpha almost always wins out. The only time I would take the RoF is if the alpha was very high but just low enough to not be able to one-hit anything it sees. So it would take one very long reload whereas the RoF tank could get the skill quicker.

Such a tricky question... Something i believe nobody here has pointed out is module damage, which in my opinion is a plus for High RoF guns. Also.. RNG is a bitch when it wants to, does it suck to bounce/miss that shot and reload for the next 15 seconds. 

I'll go RoF cuz everybody be hatin on it  :tongue:

hue

Having played the Centurion 7/1 which gave me the choice of the 20pdr Type B, a gun with 240 alpha, 220 pen (useable in most situations), and about a 5 second reload. There was also the top gun, the 105mm Royal Ordinance L7A1, a gun with 390 alpha, 268 pen, and a 10 second reload. The 20pdr had the higher dpm, but I exposed myself a lot and was not able to do a lot of damage when I used it, the 105mm gun is better for peaking, and I was able to expose myself for less, while doing more damage, while with the 20pdr I would have to track the enemy and hope to god they don't use a repair kit.

So my answer for this would have to be alpha, also, since you are posting funny pictures, here is an album of them: http://imgur.com/a/63vzq#0

Alpha will always have an advantage over rof given similar DPM for a few reasons:

1) Less exposure time = less damage received.

2) Fear factor becomes a tool against pubs.

3) Limited windows of opportunity favor one large chunk of hp loss over small chunks.

That said, the platform of the tank largely determines which suits the tank more, and after a certain point too high of alpha at any given DPM becomes bad, because you can't stay in the fight and become to vulnerable after firing.